Need advice on machine shop

imstock2

Looking to get some work done. Need a reputable shop. I found a local shop in grove city (Phillips racing engine) and was curious if anyone had any experience with them? Same with flower racing engines.. Flower makes there own connecting Rods which I found fairly neat but I wonder if they'll be better than k1 wisco. I want basic machine work done and maybe darton sleeving the block (can't make my mind up between a 402 build or going HAM and 427)

Yea I phones auto correct with lag (1-2 bars service) kinda messes my wording up.. My old man said something about Columbus coldwell? Like 8-9 years ago he took his 454 there to get work done but I can't find shit about it! So Phillips has a bad name?

I think you are referring to columbus col-weld..?

There specialty is welding cracked engine blocks... I didn't know they built engines as well...

If I were to have some engine work done I would call m&m head or rob lasota to see what they thought but that's just me. As far as actual experience with either, I have had Rob do some tuning and fabrication/welding work and Mike did some broken off bolts in a head for me...

I used Phillips to do the machine work on my block, will not use again. The guy is a dick, doesn't return calls, doesn't work on your shit unless you bother him constantly, and I didn't even want anything special. Took almost 3 months and he didn't do anything but clean, bore, hone, and deck. I doubt he checked anything, told me he file fit my rings which he did not, I did that, it was obvious a file had never touched them. Beat up my cam bearings installing them, fuck that guy.

Heard good things about Fowler and M&M. If you're thinking sleeves, ERL is the only place to go. Do a search on Darton sleeves, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Only a place that has been very successful sleeving blocks is who I'd trust.

I have not had the best experience with Flowler myself and have seen other people with less than happy results from them. Yes they make thier own rods and yes they build some wicked awesome 572 BBC's. However, it's been my experience that unless you're dropping 75k there they don't consider you a priority.

Missed the part about sleeves, then I'd most certainly take your engine to Fowler.

M&M.... I dont have anything good to say about them.

I have not had any work done by M&M either but have seen some iffy stuff from there. Although that may have been exaggerated info from the person that had them do the work.

I used one place on Roberts road in Hilliard awhile, maybe Johnson machining? Can't remember for sure.

Guy was old as hell and knew his stuff, but he was slow. Very fair priced.

Once the block was built and blew up again (not due to machining), I had it re-done at Columbus Col-well because I needed it done quick. I thought they did a bit better than Johnson.

Not looking for someone to build the engine gents. I'm doing that. I looking for balancing,new cam bearings,torque plated,honed, hot tanked.maybe resleeved. Kinda basic stuff. I don't trust any shops in building and assembly. Wrenching is fairly easy shit. After all having a shop assemble my engine would screw up the whole DYI project I been working on for years

Not looking for someone to build the engine gents. I'm doing that. I looking for balancing,new cam bearings,torque plated,honed, hot tanked.maybe resleeved. Kinda basic stuff. I don't trust any shops in building and assembly. Wrenching is fairly easy shit. After all having a shop assemble my engine would screw up the whole DYI project I been working on for years

So....you want the engine builder to do the other stuff, then you put it together, then take it back to get it balanced? Doesn't make sense to me. I'm assuming you know how to clearance an engine then....right? Why not have them throw the short block together for a couple hundred or so more and make it a 1 stop deal.

I'd go to Doug Mann or Bob Beach (<---he can be a cranky old guy sometimes). Bob is doing my short block and is pretty well known with the drag racer community. So is Doug.

If you're sleeving the block; Use ERL and they can build the engine. I would use no one else.

If you want a stock or hone only block, I would suggest BES or SAM... As they have proven themselves as top notch ls engine builders.

If you are specimg all the parts and just need someone to assemble, tq plate hone and hot tank... Then any reputable engine shop should be able to do it.

Mike @ M&M did all that for me except for the sleeve and he did a short fill with hard block.