Traction Control: Do you use it?

Xyster101

The BRZ is the first(only) car I have owned with traction control of some sort. I usually drive around with it off 100%.

Q: If you have it, do you drive with it on or off?

I don't like a computer telling me that my little slide is bad or that I can't chirp the rear tires. Feels like my mom sitting in the back seat turning off the fuel when I do fun stuff.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traction control on most GMs suck ass, it's been permenetly defeated on my Camaro. My wife's Cobalt on the other hand cannot be turned off, you have to apply the e-brake or put the shifter in low range, the Cobalt is a suck ass little shitbox and the traction control is far too overbearing, can you tell I hate the car? Turned it off regularly in my Silverado when I had it, even defeated the throttle control in the ECM.

Traction control on most GMs suck ass, it's been permenetly defeated on my Camaro. My wife's Cobalt on the other hand cannot be turned off, you have to apply the e-brake or put the shifter in low range, the Cobalt is a suck ass little shitbox and the traction control is far too overbearing, can you tell I hate the car? Turned it off regularly in my Silverado when I had it, even defeated the throttle control in the ECM.

Traction control on cable operated throttles sucks ass. It makes a lot more sense on drive-by-wire systems.

I drive with it on all the time, unless I'm in deep snow. I stand by my previous comments that if you are getting into traction and stability control on a daily basis on a public road you either have something wrong with your car or you are driving way too hard on the street. All the poorly tuned systems I've driven are on cars you have no business driving hard anyway.

Traction control on cable operated throttles sucks ass. It makes a lot more sense on drive-by-wire systems.

I drive with it on all the time, unless I'm in deep snow. I stand by my previous comments that if you are getting into traction and stability control on a daily basis on a public road you either have something wrong with your car or you are driving way too hard on the street. All the poorly tuned systems I've driven are on cars you have no business driving hard anyway.

Who said anything about driving hard? Trying to pull into traffic on a slippery road and having your car fall on its face is bullshit and dangerous. Wasn't much difference between my Camaro (cable) and Cobalt (drive by wire) in the way it would fall on its face. Only difference is all the Camaro needed was to squak the tires trying to pull out on dry pavement.

Who said anything about driving hard? Trying to pull into traffic on a slippery road and having your car fall on its face is bullshit and dangerous. Wasn't much difference between my Camaro (cable) and Cobalt (drive by wire) in the way it would fall on its face. Only difference is all the Camaro needed was to squak the tires trying to pull out on dry pavement.

There's your problem. Why don't you wait an extra 10 seconds for a large enough opening in traffic where you don't have to peel out.

Liked. And me and Mallard are 2 of the few people on this board who can really speak into this subject. :gabe:

There are also less and less poorly tuned cars, or cars with poor implementation/logic as time goes on. But they do unfortunately still exist. It's a shame that someone get's a bad impression of new tech in a car and dismisses it forever. It's like saying that a new Corvette is slow based on your experience with one from 1985.

Are most of the domestic cars with traction control made within the last 10 years (or so) DBW?

There's your problem. Why don't you wait an extra 10 seconds for a large enough opening in traffic where you don't have to peel out.

Really? extra 10 seconds? Why don't you go 10 seconds early and take some other self rightous loser with with you? :dumb:

Yes, and GM simply sets them up to snap the trottle closed on most cars.

Are you actually monitoring throttle to know this or is this just your 'seat of the pants feel'? A g-loss can happen for a lot of different reasons. Of course traction control is reducing throttle, that's the whole point.

Non-the-less, the car shouldn't 'fall on it's face', assuming you are correctly interpreting what's happening and there is actually a g-loss occurring. That's bad tuning (maybe logic but probably not at this point) and shouldn't happen in any car, regardless of the vehicles price.

Just a little more fuel for the fire; traction control shouldn't (won't) kick in until there is a certain amount of slip. You most likely already gave the car too much throttle for the given surface if starts. Way to go all of you pro drivers! :gabe::gabe:

I like the newer "multi stage" ESP Programs, but still think the older single stage stuff sucks donkey cawk.

In the A4, if I get the slightest bit of rotation out of the rear, it instantly cuts in backs the throttle down and does some braking and straightens it out.

In the TT, I drive with "sport control" enabled. It allows the tires to spin, and for to swing the ass end around, just not do a 180 or anything else stupid. In this mode, I've never had it intervene on the streets, but still have to turn it off @ AutoX as it will cut in while swinging around a corner at times.

Yes, and GM simply sets them up to snap the trottle closed on most cars.

Its so annoying to have the car try and push the pedal against my foot just because i give it some gas, dont even need to floor it for the traction control to try and push the pedal back.

Are you actually monitoring throttle to know this or is this just your 'seat of the pants feel'? A g-loss can happen for a lot of different reasons. Of course traction control is reducing throttle, that's the whole point.

Non-the-less, the car shouldn't 'fall on it's face', assuming you are correctly interpreting what's happening and there is actually a g-loss occurring. That's bad tuning (maybe logic but probably not at this point) and shouldn't happen in any car, regardless of the vehicles price.

Just a little more fuel for the fire; traction control shouldn't (won't) kick in until there is a certain amount of slip. You most likely already gave the car too much throttle for the given surface if starts. Way to go all of you pro drivers! :gabe::gabe:

Don't know if youve driven a GM car with traction control (Not sure about new ones, but like my 2000 camaros traction control) it just shoves the pedal back at your foot and trys to snap the throttle closed, its extremely annoying. The whole car just falls on its face exactly like Cordell said.

Isn't the point of traction control to help you accelerate as fast as possible without spinning? Why the hell do they design cars to just crap out when it activates.

As far as it goes for using it, the only time i leave it on is when its raining or the roads are really wet, camaro tends to just let the rear end slide out when its wet. Other than that i cant stand the stupid shit.