Spring Compressors

PRD2BDF

Has anyone used them? Are they easy to use? I've never used one and I'm asking in advance because I'm looking into installing my own lowering springs and the fronts require the use of spring compressors.

If I was to do it, I would employ one of these loan-a-tool from Advance, Autozone, or OReilly, whoever has one of them available for rental.

Used them, work fine, just remember to go back and forth tightening both sides down evenly that spring is under a good bit of pressure. If I had some I'd help out but everywhere I've worked always had a wall mounted unit so I never needed my own.

I personally do not like using those death trap spring compressors. I bought a set from Matco once, used them a dozen times or so. Finally had it slip, and caught my arm in the spring when it sprung. I sold them on Craigslist for 40$.

I would take your struts off, and take them to a Midas or Monroe. You can normally bring cash and talk to a mechanic. Have them done by a professional, and spend 40$ or so.

It's not worth loosing an arm or eye. The wall mounted spring compressors are much better.

I know that but will it be drivable to an alignment shop afterwards?

Just so you know, I've never lowered a car before.

Not sure if there is any adjustment in the base of the strut on your car or not, but this would be the only way to get your alignment way off if it doesn't go back together close to how you took it apart. Obviously it will need aligned regardless.

BTW the wheel vibrations you were talking about before will now be amplified by the shorter stiffer springs. Just in case you haven't thought about that.

I personally do not like using those death trap spring compressors. I bought a set from Matco once, used them a dozen times or so. Finally had it slip, and caught my arm in the spring when it sprung. I sold them on Craigslist for 40$.

I would take your struts off, and take them to a Midas or Monroe. You can normally bring cash and talk to a mechanic. Have them done by a professional, and spend 40$ or so.

It's not worth loosing an arm or eye. The wall mounted spring compressors are much better.

I agree.

Sean at NorthEnd Wrench has a nice mounted unit that worked very well, and was very quick. I am sure you can PM Crossle on here to see what he would charge to disassemble/assemble. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes...

Not to thread hi-jack but....

I have been looking at lowering springs. Install would only be roughly $40?

No, he was saying to take your struts/springs to a shop and have them remove and reinstall the new springs will be cheap. Should only take 30 min. Everything else would have to be done by the OP.

Suspension install can vary greatly.

Yeah I was swapping struts (front 2 only) and was quoted only like 25 bucks total at the local Pep Boys to have them use their wall mounted compressor on them.... Cheaper and easier than renting from AZ.

On the flip side, when I did my Mini lowering springs, I did not even need the compressors... Just wrapped it in a towel, stepped on the spring, and air ratcheted the top nut off. Strut only shot maybe 4 feet.. (I would not advise this though)

Hardest part is the strut top nut with no air tools... some are really hard to grip so you cant loosen and tighten it enough...