So my muffler was delivered today...

spankis

On a scale from 1 -small, I'd give it a 1.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/Ram%202500/Violet-20130104-00126_zpsdf639094.jpg

It is made by Donaldson, and is 5" in/out, and 51" long. I installed a 5" turbo-back system (no muffler) on my truck last weekend, and needless to say it's a little to loud to cold start at 6am in my neighborhood. I like my neighbors more than that. These mufflers are cheap and somewhat popular among cummins guys. It's basically a muffler used in the "stacks" of commercial trucks, so they hold up to weather/salt and general abuse pretty well.

It sounds like Alex is going to weld this beast up for me next weekend, along with a couple other items.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/Ram%202500/IMG-20130104-00125_zps06f1ce2f.jpg

In its current straight-piped state, the exhaust brake running at idle sounds exactly like a turbine engine winding up. It's pretty bizarre, I'll have to get some sound clips.

IN for sound clips, thats got to sound different.

and godamn thats a loooooooong muffler, got enough straight section for that thing?

I should have plenty of straight, it's straight from the downpipe bend to the hump over the rear axle. There's not even a transfer case to get in the way since I'm 2wd.

As for sound clips, here is somebody's video showing the jet sound of the exhaust brake through the straight pipe. He's basically turning it on and off like a jackass, and adjusting idle speed up and down (the last 3 seconds are loud and distorted - fair warning)

I should have plenty of straight, it's straight from the downpipe bend to the hump over the rear axle. There's not even a transfer case to get in the way since I'm 2wd.

As for sound clips, here is somebody's video showing the jet sound of the exhaust brake through the straight pipe. He's basically turning it on and off like a jackass, and adjusting idle speed up and down (the last 3 seconds are loud and distorted - fair warning)

I see your 6.7 and raise you a 6.0 powerstroke.

That sounds wild! Whats the exhaust brake do? (I dont know much about diesels)

Well, it's a variable geometry turbo, so the nozzle basically closes down on the exhaust stream, creating restriction like a classic big rig "jake brake" does.

I see your 6.7 and raise you a 6.0 powerstroke.

That is a lot of whistle, but not the same whistle, or for the same reason.

Why not a 4" exhaust? Don't really need a 5" unless your planning on making 600+

Very true, however, the factory manifold + the VGT turbo don't sound that great with most any exhaust. The 5" just sounds better on the factory 6.7 turbo setup. I will give you that it's completely unnecessary for the power I'm making.

You should of did the 24v manifold turbo swap.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does that not also require a new turbo? Truck has 42k on it, so the stock one is perfect, and I don't want to lose my exhaust brake going non-vgt anyway.

My next truck money is going toward a clutch. The stock single disc is a joke and slips even with my most conservative Efi tune. Then headstuds probably just for peace of mind.

That sounds wild! Whats the exhaust brake do? (I dont know much about diesels)

By restricting a diesel's exhaust, you slow the engine. It's like downshifting your car and taking your foot off the gas, only amplified. Sometimes they shake and shudder and make funny noises.

• 2 weeks later...

Alex at BPA did a beautiful job welding the extensions on to this muffler for me, so that it installs into the existing system with clamps. There were some extracurricular activities in the shop that I'm not too proud of (ask Alex), but he did a very nice job and it sounds great. Since I had the day off today, I made a video with a bunch of sound clips for members on cumminsforum.

This should give some idea of how it sounds, including the ridiculous exhaust brake whistle at idle. Hide your dogs, fair warning.

Hmm, and why does it sound louder with the exhaust brake on? Is it just a button you push or what? And why does the truck have a high idle? I know nothing about diesels, sorry.

I'll take one with semi wheels pls

Hmm, and why does it sound louder with the exhaust brake on? Is it just a button you push or what? And why does the truck have a high idle? I know nothing about diesels, sorry.

I'll take one with semi wheels pls

The whistle gets louder when the exhaust brake is turned on, and yea it's a button on the dash. When driving it is only activated when you let off the throttle completely, to act as a brake. At idle, when cold, it activates to aid in warm-up. Really what's happening is the nozzle on the VGT turbo is closing off to create a restriction, "spooling" the turbo at idle.

High idle is activated by setting the cruise control, with the truck parked and the parking brake on. The intended use is to increase engine idle speed for added load by PTO-operated equipment, larger electrical loads, etc. , but most guys use it to help the truck warm-up faster. It's a very common and safe practice with diesels.

It sounded better without that muffler.

I agree with you, except on the freeway, where drone was terrible especially towing. I also would have for sure been harassed by the Pickerington PD too, and it wasn't something I could start up before sunrise in my neighborhood. The truck is my daily driver.

Still amazed how much that muffler quieted it down. Glad I could help.

Thanks again Alex.

Should of done 4in a little quieter then 5in also I would have left it straight piped an who cares about there the neighbors I live in apartments and let mine idle at 5am on 3cyl high idle

People with respect. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/14biggy/Smileys/shrug.gif