Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michigan didn't look great either....

I didn't watch the game but looking at the box score I'm slightly puzzled as to how they put up 59. Blocked punt accounts for 7 but that still leaves 12 more points than OSU on just 3 more yards while turning the ball over basically the same number of times as OSU (3 INT's for Michigan, 1 INT, 1 fumble lost and 1 turnover on downs for OSU).

On the topic of next week, unless OSU has a bunch of return yards/TD's, they need to put up at least 550 yards and 50 points against SDSU. Eastern Illinois put up over 500 and 40.

Yeah that's where I saw it lol. Dude is pretty good and was over looked coming out of highschool. A lot of people even questioned why he was offered by Ohio State.

From Urbans press conference today

Meyer said it looks like C.J. Barnett will be back for the San Diego State game and that center Corey Linsley "should play more." Meyer also said Rod Smith is on target following his one-game suspension. Meyer said he hopes he earns right to carry ball because that frees up Jordan Hall to help us in other places.

Urban on press coverage: New guys means tendency to play cautious on coverage.

Roby returning frees up Armani Reeves to play special teams where he's a beast. Urban said they didn't play as much bump and run but we should see more soon.

On issues that plagued the team in the opener: "Complacency is certainly not a problem this week." Meyer went on to mention how having Roby and Barnett back will not only help the defense but bolsters the depth of the team, allowing players like Armani Reeves, considered one of the team's best special teamers, to shine on special teams.

Meyer on Dontre Wilson: "Dontre played well, except he laid it on the ground, which was terrible. He won't play much if that happens again."

On what to tell Curtis Grant about the penalty he earned for continuing to play without a helmet: "You tell them to stop."

When asked about Armani Reeves at corner, Meyer said, "He got exposed there for a minute, but I expect him to continue to get better. He's a tough kid."

Bolded a line for LJ

So Jameis Winston looks disgusting.

First ever college football game (RS Fr.) opening the season with a conference game on the road... 25/27 for 356 yards and 4 TD's (3 to Jack Nicklaus' grandson Nick O'Leary). Added 25 yards and another TD on the ground.

Yeah that's where I saw it lol. Dude is pretty good and was over looked coming out of highschool. A lot of people even questioned why he was offered by Ohio State.

From Urbans press conference today

Meyer said it looks like C.J. Barnett will be back for the San Diego State game and that center Corey Linsley "should play more." Meyer also said Rod Smith is on target following his one-game suspension. Meyer said he hopes he earns right to carry ball because that frees up Jordan Hall to help us in other places.

Urban on press coverage: New guys means tendency to play cautious on coverage.

Roby returning frees up Armani Reeves to play special teams where he's a beast. Urban said they didn't play as much bump and run but we should see more soon.

On issues that plagued the team in the opener: "Complacency is certainly not a problem this week." Meyer went on to mention how having Roby and Barnett back will not only help the defense but bolsters the depth of the team, allowing players like Armani Reeves, considered one of the team's best special teamers, to shine on special teams.

Meyer on Dontre Wilson: "Dontre played well, except he laid it on the ground, which was terrible. He won't play much if that happens again."

On what to tell Curtis Grant about the penalty he earned for continuing to play without a helmet: "You tell them to stop."

When asked about Armani Reeves at corner, Meyer said, "He got exposed there for a minute, but I expect him to continue to get better. He's a tough kid."

Bolded a line for LJ

Meyer must have mentioned the same thing at least 10 times in his post game interviews

"we were down to 3rd string at points"

"Defense will be solidified when these guys return"

stuff like that

Yeah Winston looks like a stud, I remember when OSU was recruiting him and a lot of people said "it's ok we'll land someone better", I sure hope JT Barrett is better lol

The thing with Winston was that he liked Tressel and he loves baseball. Tressel was gone and FSU is a great baseball school. Once Tressel was gone so was any chance with Winston.

Also, Pryor is starting for Oakland. :fuckyeah:

I might get blasted for this, but I hope that kid just shows out at that level. He did some dumb things, and by all accounts probably had an attitude issue while he was here, but I hope he has his head screwed on straight now and plays well.

The problem in Oakland is that their O-line is straight turrble, so he'll get plenty of chances to show his speed.

So Oregon jumps OSU in the AP.

I highly disagree with that. Their win was no more impressive than OSU's given the different level of competition. I would have been OK with Clemson jumping into 2, and OSU dropping to 3, but Oregon..... give me a break

I might get blasted for this, but I hope that kid just shows out at that level. He did some dumb things, and by all accounts probably had an attitude issue while he was here, but I hope he has his head screwed on straight now and plays well.

The problem in Oakland is that their O-line is straight turrble, so he'll get plenty of chances to show his speed.

Very similar to when he was at OSU. They had to go to him his freshman year because Boeckman was a statue and the O-line was less than good. And I absolutely hope he does well. What he and the rest of the guys involved in OSU's thing did was embarrassingly insignificant and what it resulted in was ridiculous.

So Oregon jumps OSU in the AP.

I highly disagree with that. Their win was no more impressive than OSU's given the different level of competition. I would have been OK with Clemson jumping into 2, and OSU dropping to 3, but Oregon..... give me a break

Yeah I remember watching the OSU game thinking... will Oregon jump us? Checked who they were playing... nope, not gonna happen. :lolguy:

We'll see what happens with the coaches poll. Obviously the AP doesn't really matter.

Cincy fan on reddit is raging over them not being in the top 25 after blowing out Purdue. :dumb:

http://i.imgur.com/GokjkXd.png

Yes, I downvoted all the Cincy fans. For the lulz.

Edit: More of the same poster being mad...

http://i.imgur.com/0Bo0tIW.png

People talk about delusional fans, but the most delusional fans on Reddit are the UC fans, by far.

Me- You guys arent gonna keep a coach until you have big boy facilities

UCDad- WE HAVE THE GREATEST STADIUM IN THE WORLD ASSHOLE

Who cares about the AP besides television networks hoping to boost ratings by pitting #3 vs #7. The coaches poll is what really matters and I don't think Oregon jumps Ohio State there, although I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Ohio State showed they could be great for 1 quarter and then just took their foot off the gas and coasted to a 40-20 victory. I think that's how the voters may see it at least.

These are always great reads...

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/09/25441/ohio-state-v-buffalo-offensive-breakdown

Haven't read it yet but Ross gave a little summary in his post on Scout... basically once Braxton starts actually reading on the read plays instead of going in pre-determined in what he's going to do then things will look a lot better.

In some ways they were using the game as a glorified scrimmage.

The game really really looked this way at times. Miller was probably told to work from the pocket. The lineman werent getting any help as a "trial by fire" with Mack. Tendencies were WAY too predictible that actually looked like steps back from the end of last season. The majority of the game was crazy vanilla on offense.

Taylor Decker looked bad because he was put in an awful spot. No help from a chipping RB or TE on Mack, and a true sophomore making the line calls. He gave up no bad plays when Linsley was in the game. The first play Linsley is out, Decker gives up a sack. He goes on to give up 2 more sacks.