Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

I don't think the limited schollies has anything to do with these guys getting offers at this point. I think it has everything to do with the fact that the players OSU thought were theirs are going elsewhere. If Quick or Gibson committed to OSU I would put money on it that no other WR's would be getting an offer at this point.

Like I said, the 2013 class is really good, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I would just save the schollies and load up in 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the limited schollies has anything to do with these guys getting offers at this point. I think it has everything to do with the fact that the players OSU thought were theirs are going elsewhere. If Quick or Gibson committed to OSU I would put money on it that no other WR's would be getting an offer at this point.

Because they wouldn't have the schollies to do so! They can't magically make schollies appear out of thin air like the SEC does. If OSU had the 3 extra schollies, you would have seen offers out to these guys earlier.

Also, Shane Morris has been losing his 5th star on recruiting services.

They would've used the extra schollies on some OL or saved them for next year in my opinion. Again, I don't think the kids getting their offers now has anything to do with OSU just waiting, it has everything to do with them whiffing. No way in hell would Ohio State take 5-6 WR's in this class, they already have 2, you add Quick and Gibson that's 4. The other guys getting offers now would've been left without

Shane Morris looked absolutely terrible at all star practice and in games this past season (when he was healthy). I really don't dislike 17 year old kids, but that is one kid I can make the exception for. I like some of what he does because he gets the rivalry, but if you're going to talk shit atleast back it up on the field. I still laugh at Michigan fans who thought he was going to walk onto campus and start from day 1.

Morris's ratings:

Scout-went from # 28 to # 40 last week

ESPN-went from # 54 to # 127 over the weekend

247 sports-went from #26 to # 81 today

According to Bill Greene the OSU staff was making decisions almost hourly on who could/couldn't commit or who had an "offer" vs. an OFFER. The limit definitely came into play. And when you're saving a special spot for Vonn Bell it comes into play even more because that's a 50/50 spot. According to someone on 11w Bell told them the rumor of a "soft-verbal" to Bama today is false. I mean, Urban already considers any verbal commit in the south a non-commit so a rumor about a public "soft-verbal"...lol.

Like I said yesterday, there's only 2-3 spots left...

OSU didn't want Gibson after spending more time with him or he didn't make the grade

OSU does want Corey Smith and may get him

OSU does want another OL and has guys like Hunt and Skipper still out there

OSU does want Bell and will save a spot for him until the end

I wonder how much Corn Elder wants to be a Buckeye. I think the second he's allowed by the staff to commit he would. Might be as late as signing day though.

Greene doing a chat on Scout tonight...

Some highlights...

- One of our coaches visited Snodgrass' school, pulled him out of class, and then messed around on his iPad/talked on his cell the whole time. Apparently Snodgrass did not like this. **that story is from Dave Berk; he wouldn't say which coach, and said his recruitment still has a long way to go (duh).

- If Corey Smith's transcripts check out, he will accept an OSU offer on the spot.

Was hoping that's what it was with Smith. Kid has been at 2 JUCO's already so figure there's some sorting out to be done.

Word is grades but who knows. That was one of the rumors on Snodgrass as well now we get that story. There was a recent update where I believe OSU wasn't in Snodgrass' top 5. Another kid who was ready to commit and told to hold off for whatever reason then that story happens...lol.

Another highlight from the chat and not something shocking or unexpected...

2014 Top 100 (on every site I believe) LB Raekwon McMillan out of GA will be a Buckeye. "Silently" committed to them (not sure when, could have been a while ago really).

Really hoping he can be a Mike Brewster-type kid in this class. Would be awesome if he pulled a Brewster and held off until the spring game when all these GA kids are coming up for a visit then commits at a big gathering like Brewster did at the 2007 spring game.

"Brandon Castel ‏ @ BCastOZone

RT @ Bill_Kurelic Urban Meyer is going for a huge "flip." He has offered MSU WR commitment Drake Harris and stopped at his school today"

From what I have just read, he is a 2 sports player and not likely to flip from MSU where he plans to play basketball as well.

Harris said he's definitely going to visit. Pretty funny because on one site I post on all the MSU fans were laughing at the UM fans yesterday because they lost Webb and joked that Harris was the best recruit in the history of the state and committed in BLOOD. And now Urban just walks in and goes for the throat.

From the 247 article that just went up...

“Coach Meyer flew in this morning to see me,” Harris said in a text message. “They gave me an official offer a couple of days ago.”

When asked if he has an interest in Ohio State, Harris replied, “yes, a lot.”

The 6-foot-4 and 180-pound Harris is a football and basketball star who committed to the Spartans for both sports near the end of June. His football offers at the time included Michigan State, Michigan, Notre Dame and Florida.

Harris led his team to a state championship and a final record of 13-1 during his junior season. He caught 91 passes for 2,016 yards and 23 touchdowns. His 2,016 yards broke the all-time state record.

Harris said he is going to visit Ohio State.

“Yes I am soon,” he said. “I’m going to set up something with coach Meyer and go from there.”

Harris left no doubt he is impressed with what Meyer did at Ohio State and the OSU football program in general.

“They are one of the best football programs in the country,” Harris said. “You have arguably the best coach in the country. The campus is great, and the fan support is crazy and the tradition there is just tremendous.”

Harris said he's definitely going to visit. Pretty funny because on one site I post on all the MSU fans were laughing at the UM fans yesterday because they lost Webb and joked that Harris was the best recruit in the history of the state and committed in BLOOD. And now Urban just walks in and goes for the throat.

From the 247 article that just went up...

Urban is a recruiting gangster. I freaking love it.

Yeah I know nothing about him. Izzo is a tough nut to crack. And kids these days are more aware than ever that basketball is obviously the safer sport with all the concussion shit going on with the NFL now.

Looks like the kid is rated pretty equally in both football and basketball so definitely wouldn't be a dumb move to stick with basketball and Izzo.

Read some more on MSU boards about Harris (because someone said they were basically melting down over the article where he said he had a lot of interest in OSU now and was going to visit soon...lol) and also read some more stuff just in general. Some say he could be the #1 WR in the country for the 2014 class. Rumors (oh rumors) that his HS coaches have said that he's beginning to realize that football is his golden ticket and he needs to focus more on that. And IF he goes that way it could very well be wide open because apparently MSU's football staff hasn't paid much attention to him. He's very much an MSU basketball commit. But if he commits more to football he'll probably restart the recruiting process. Maybe that started with the visit from Urban yesterday.

LJ, still don't think they are showing signs of desperation?

"Kyrin Priester of Snellville (GA) is a 2013 wide receiver commit for North Carolina State. He confirmed that he had an offer from Ohio State last night.

After talking with Priester, he said he will visit Clemson this upcoming weekend.

He now has decided to visit Ohio State officially the following weekend. That visit would be the 25-27 of January.

It is something to keep an eye on going forward. North Carolina State is getting pushed hard by Clemson and Ohio State. "

Another guy no one on the Ohio St boards had really heard of, suddenly gets an offer late in the game. Let me guess, he would've gotten one anyways had it not been for the limited schollies...

You'd have me if he wasn't a Georgia guy. They are trying to get their claws into Georgia right now.

Also, trying to grab recruits because guys aren't qualifying is a bit different in grabbing recruicts cause they keep turning you down. Tressel was the all time "oh shit" desperation recruit grabber.

He's a backup plan. Could be 2 things working here...

1) Have been rumblings of Taivon Jacobs visiting Maryland. An "offer" to Priester tells Jacobs, hey, you take that visit, we've got a replacement ready. Say bye bye.

2) Obviously if Smith's stuff doesn't check out (not only has he been to 2 JUCO's already, apparently even his HS transcripts were funky before that) then they might take Priester.

Both of those situations should be resolved before Priester's supposed visit and if they are I doubt the visit takes place or if it does he'd get the Shayne Hale treatment where you just hang out in your host's dorm room and eat Wendy's.

Edit: And also what LJ said. Forgot he was from GA. Read the stuff on him earlier this morning and just remembered he was an NC St. commit. If your backup plan can do a little bit to help reel in some of the big GA fish next year then it's even better.

Josh = persistently cynical :lol:

Only when people come off as assholes to me, which has been happening more and more in this thread haha. I am usually one of the nicer guys you will meet in person lol. Oh well, no hard feelings towards anyone in this thread, even though you are all pricks hahaha

I don't think this has anything to do with him being from Georgia lmfao. Ohio St has some scrub playing for them from Georgia right now named, Bradley Roby. Also didn't they just get another Georgia kid in Trey Johnson? Reaching folks, reaching!

What "so/so" guys did he take?

2002: Troy Smith (Won a Heisman)

2003: Darieus Hiley (4* CB who I don't think ever qualified)

2003: Donte Whitner (5* who is now playing on Sundays for the 49ers)

2004: Curtis Terry (started for OSU here and there)

2004: Ted Ginn Jr (5* CB who ended up being an explosive playmaking WR and also plays on Sundays)

2005: Freddie Lennix (4* LB who again didn't qualify)

2005: Jamario O'Neal (5* DB who didn't really pan out to everyones expectations)

2006: Ray Small (4* WR who was said to be more explosive than Ted Ginn but had character issues while here)

2006: Robert Rose (4/5* DE depending on service, who was an Army All American)

2007: Jermale Hines (4* DB who was a starter for OSU)

2008: Jermil Martin (2* FB who started for OSU)

2008: Shaq Rowell (3* DT who didn't qualify)

2009: Marcus Hall (4* OT who is now a starting Gaurd on current team)

2009: Johnathan Newsome (4* DE who I believe transfered out or left for medical reasons?)

2010: Christian Bryant (4* DB who is a starter on current team)

2011: Cardale Jones (3* QB this one may be your reach)

2012: Devin Bogard (4* DB who was the first to lose his rookie stripe from Urban Meyer)

2013: Christopher Worley (3* LB)

2014: Marcelys Jones (OT)

Glenville is a pipeline in similar manner that Cass Tech up in Michigan is for scum. I wouldn't say any of the players offered from Glenville have been "reaches", some have been let downs, yes! Outside of Worley I don't think any of those guys listed above have been late offers (that I can remember), they were all given offers pretty early on. Hell I believe Worley has had an offer for some time now but was one of those "non commitable ones handed out by Urban supposedly. Glenville produces a lot of D1 talent each and every year, hell OSU has missed out on some of them, Aundrey Walker comes to mind (USC), Shayne Winn is another Glenville kid who went elsewhere and did well against OSU this past year (Indiana)

Oh, and Ray Small being as explosive as Ted Ginn? Yes, if, by "explosive," you mean it seemed like every time he tried to catch a punt it was like a grenade exploded in his hands, then yes, I can see that.

I really, really wanted to like Ray Small. Too bad he was terrible.