Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

Have to wonder if he got wind of the forthcoming NCAA sanctions. Every Oregon fan was rejoicing when they thought he had decided to stay because 1) he's a good coach and 2) it meant any incoming sanctions couldn't be that bad. To do a 180 like this a lot of them are pretty terrified now. I think they should be just based on what I know about it. Obviously the NCAA knows more and is wildly inconsistent so they still may just get a slap on the wrist. But they have to know it's possible they just got Pete Carroll'd.

One more reason the NCAA won't be governing high level college football for much longer.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Vick is probably one of the best athletes to ever play in the NFL. I'd put him up there with guys like Deion Sanders. Just pure, athletic talent. I watched him single-handedly keep Va Tech in the championship game against Florida State when Florida State was LOADED with all kinds of talent. I just think he isn't very smart, which limits his capacity to be an "elite" quarterback like, say, Manning, Brady, and Rodgers. I'm very excited to see what he'd do in a Kelly-based offensive system, which (as I understand it) would substantially lessen the cognitive burden placed on the QB. Essentially, Vick will just be able to be an athlete that can throw really well (does anyone besides Rodgers throw as pretty a spiral as Vick?) and won't have to make a bunch of crazy reads, etc. What do you guys think - am I way off base here?

I think Vick is probably one of the best athletes to ever play in the NFL. I'd put him up there with guys like Deion Sanders. Just pure, athletic talent. I watched him single-handedly keep Va Tech in the championship game against Florida State when Florida State was LOADED with all kinds of talent. I just think he isn't very smart, which limits his capacity to be an "elite" quarterback like, say, Manning, Brady, and Rodgers. I'm very excited to see what he'd do in a Kelly-based offensive system, which (as I understand it) would substantially lessen the cognitive burden placed on the QB. Essentially, Vick will just be able to be an athlete that can throw really well (does anyone besides Rodgers throw as pretty a spiral as Vick?) and won't have to make a bunch of crazy reads, etc. What do you guys think - am I way off base here?

yes and no

all was corrrect minus the fact that vick isnt a west coast qb, he isnt a pocket qb and no one really knew how to handle vick. no look at the nfl, they have "vick" like qbs everywhere and instead of trying to force him to be a "typical qb" they are letting them play to their potential. vick will always be seen as a coach killer and overrated but now this style is more relevant. i dont think he will be a life saver seeing as he is injury prone now but if he was able to play the rgiii game 10 yrs ago, i whole heartly believe he would have won a sb. but thats wishful thinking now and he will just go down as an entertainer instead of a top level qb. sad but true.

Apparently Urban offered a couple more Oregon commits. Dude is just cold-blooded...lol.

Tyree and Tyrell Robinson. Twin brothers. One is more a WR, the other an OLB/S type guy. Both pretty highly rated 4* players.

For OSU to fit them in Corey Smith's transcripts would have to not check out, Dontre Wilson would have to remain uninterested (maybe a race between Wilson and the Robinson brothers to ditch Oregon and come to OSU?), Vonn Bell would have to go to Bama, etc., etc. Obviously also have no idea what their interested level is but one of them tweeted about the offer after OSU called them.

Woooooooooow.

The cynic/conspiracy theorist in me is thinking the following:

1. Manti was definitely in on it.

2. He did it to create fame and heighten a Heisman campaign, etc.

3. Things started to unravel, and he knew it was a matter of time before he was caught.

4. They decide to go with the "she was my online gf that I never met" angle and try to put Manti's cohort under the bus.

5. Manti desperately hope people buy this and, collaterally, accept that he played like shit during the NC game because he was burdened with the knowledge that he'd been duped.

I hope he was in on it, the internet detectives find out definitely that he was in on it, and he is stripped of all those awards and Notre Dame looks like fools/moral crooks in all of this.

A devout Mormon attending a Catholic school makes up a girlfriend with another guy? You tell me why else he did it.

Not disputing the veracity of what you suggested, just trying to get clarification about what you meant by rumors.

Him being gay seems plausible. I thought he might have done it to help boost his career. Playing through the adversity of the death of a girlfriend makes for a great story, and great stories make for great Heisman campaigns, lots of spotlight, etc.

Not disputing the veracity of what you suggested, just trying to get clarification about what you meant by rumors.

Him being gay seems plausible. I thought he might have done it to help boost his career. Playing through the adversity of the death of a girlfriend makes for a great story, and great stories make for great Heisman campaigns, lots of spotlight, etc.

Ah, no hostility intended. What I originally posted was the rumor. That people associated with NFL teams have developed theories and that if they're true, Te'o would be one of the most important stories in sports history. I inferred that this wouldn't be historically relevant unless there was something more to the story than him trying to drum up sympathy and attention. I very well could be wrong about what that meant, but it kind of seems to add up (the gay theory).

Ah, no hostility intended. What I originally posted was the rumor. That people associated with NFL teams have developed theories and that if they're true, Te'o would be one of the most important stories in sports history. I inferred that this wouldn't be historically relevant unless there was something more to the story than him trying to drum up sympathy and attention. I very well could be wrong about what that meant, but it kind of seems to add up (the gay theory).

Agreed.

Yeap, or that could be made up too so he can keep his image. lol

He (and his father) do seem particularly interested in maintaining a certain imagine for him. Maybe that's the way it is for a lot of higher profile college football players, I don't know. But I can say that, if it's determined he did fabricate all of this, I wouldn't be completely surprised.

Man, I just read it again, and all I can come up with is, "Daaaaammmnn...."

There is nothing that isn't fucked up about this story, regardless of what the truth is.

this. i dont care what anyone says, you are a high profiled person, finding a "real" gf is not a hard thing to do. for fucks sake look at half the grizzly adams in the pros, all have hot woman or even managable ladies. give me a break this is a giant pile of shit, and this "cat fishing " is some bs.