Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the ND gold helmets - like the super gold ones. I think they wear them all the time now? In any event, I think those are an improvement.

I can't think of any alternate uniforms that I've really liked either, other than maybe Boise State's. Though, I think liking those is relative (since their previous uniforms were terrible).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/08/05/lsu-rb-jeremy-hills-probation-extended-can-play-for-tigers/2619283/

Nice...have sex with a 14 year old, get it knocked down to a lesser charge, violate probation by assaulting a guy at 1am outside a bar, get that charged reduced, find a LSU Alum Judge to expedite the case so he can be back for full practice and don't hand down any significant additional punishment...then the head coach hides behind the excuse "Well the team voted to bring him back..so I had no choice"

Typical in the land where football is king and the law/rules are just speed bumps.

Goodbye Johnny:

"On the videos, which the broker said were recorded without Manziel's knowledge, ESPN heard Manziel say "you never did a signing with me" and that if the broker were to tell anyone, he would refuse to deal with him again in the future. Manziel, who appeared comfortable throughout the video recordings, also said if asked, he would say he had simply been approached by various autograph seekers."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9544137/broker-says-johnny-manziel-took-7500-autographing-helmets

I actually dig the ND uni's...like the all white look.

I was "for" Manziel winning the Heisman last year, but dude is burnt now. My comment earlier wasn't so much about "not wanting more money", as it was "Dude is freaking RICH. I could understand blatantly overstepping rules if this was a poor kid with a rough background." Sort of like how when Vanilla Ice claimed to be all hardcore street, it was even worse when America found out he was privileged suburban white kid.

EDIT: And also, "The broker said he does not intend to cooperate with the ongoing NCAA investigation involving Manziel and autographs, originally reported Sunday by "Outside the Lines." Soooo...let me get this right, you initially tried to sell the videos to ESPN, and when they refused to pay, you went ahead and showed them to one of their reporters. And then, suddenly, you remembered that you "aren't a narc", and won't rat him out to the NCAA. Um....too late?

Yeah, this isn't a court of law. If the NCAA feels there's enough out there to determine that he did this (and there's absolutely no way he signed as much as there appears to be out there for free) he has to sit some games. It seems there are new brokers coming out every day now with a Manziel story. Kid must have pissed them all off by #1 coming off as a total douchebag since January, lowering the prices of the stuff he signed and #2 flooding the market by working with so many different brokers, again lowering the prices.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/08/05/lsu-rb-jeremy-hills-probation-extended-can-play-for-tigers/2619283/

Nice...have sex with a 14 year old, get it knocked down to a lesser charge, violate probation by assaulting a guy at 1am outside a bar, get that charged reduced, find a LSU Alum Judge to expedite the case so he can be back for full practice and don't hand down any significant additional punishment...then the head coach hides behind the excuse "Well the team voted to bring him back..so I had no choice"

Typical in the land where football is king and the law/rules are just speed bumps.

Fucking disgusts me. That big pussy les miles let his 19-20 year old layers "vote" on whether a sexual preditor can play or not? What a joke.

Hall and Smith splitting carries with the 1's from what I just read. Also read that true freshman Gareon Conley is starting at the cornerback spot voided by Roby.

Wilson, Marshall and Elliot are all getting praised and have been returning kicks. Wilson is said to be the fastest of the bunch

Read that Jaymee Thompson broke his ankle today in practice.

My dad is the worst. Was talking to him just a little bit ago and I hadn't been near computer or radio. He was like "so that guy broke his ankle huh?" And I was like... "WHAT?!" Thinking it was Norwell. Picked his brain a bit more and he was like... "it was a freshman... maybe a WR?" And I was like... "WHAT!?" Thinking it may have been Dontre.

Get on and read it's Thompson... not that I want him to be hurt or that it doesn't suck but... not Norwell or Dontre.

Loving the "Bane" facemasks as I've seen a lot of people calling them. I just call them Justin Tuck-style since he was one of the first guys I can think of to start using them to try and keep offensive players from grabbing onto his...

Josh Perry

http://photo.the-ozone.net/photos/2013_2014/Football/13-08-07-FB-0110.jpg

Tommy Schutt

http://photo.the-ozone.net/photos/2013_2014/Football/13-08-07-FB-0119.jpg

JT Moore

http://photo.the-ozone.net/photos/2013_2014/Football/13-08-07-FB-0135.jpg

Adolphus Washington

http://photo.the-ozone.net/photos/2013_2014/Football/13-08-07-FB-0289.jpg

Chris Carter

http://photo.the-ozone.net/photos/2013_2014/Football/13-08-07-FB-0424-DH.jpg

Mandel on the public perception difference between Manziel and Pryor.

... he has a lot of sympathy, whereas Pryor and his Ohio State cohorts had almost none two-and-a-half years ago when they committed essentially the same NCAA crime. Something has changed.

To begin with, let's note a few key differences between the players. Manziel is the reigning Heisman Trophy winner. People love watching him play, and most had never even heard of him a year earlier. On the other hand, as of December 2010, Pryor was widely viewed as an underachieving, overrated former No. 1 recruit (despite going 31-4 as starter). He was not universally embraced by his own team's fan base, much less a national audience. Plus he played for Ohio State, one of America's favorite programs to loathe. (Texas A&M was too unthreatening for too long to garner any such animosity outside of Austin.)

And yes, there is a racial and sociological undertone at play here. While many chafe at Manziel's affluence, much of the Johnny Football mythology is, at heart, a product of the Friday Night Lights small-town Texas quarterback archetype. Pryor, by contrast, was a guy who was permanently labeled as a thug following his clumsy attempt to support Michael Vick when the formerly incarcerated star returned to the NFL. The tattoo element gave the story an even seedier feel, as opposed to a case of someone like A.J. Green, who straight up sold his jersey for money.

STAPLES: Online jersey sales highlight NCAA's hypocrisy on amateurism

But I do think the larger dynamic centers on just how sharply public sentiment toward the NCAA's century-old amateurism policy has turned in a short amount of time. People have long criticized the NCAA for its thick and inflexible rulebook and its seemingly arbitrary punishments against schools. The pay-for-play debate is certainly not new. But criticism has taken on a distinctly different tone over the past couple of years, with an increasing number of high-profile figures like Jay Bilas hammering the subject. In particular, the recent heightened awareness of the Ed O'Bannon case involves the specific issue at hand in the Manziel investigation. I can't pinpoint a specific turning point. It just seems the cumulative effect of all those multibillion-dollar TV deals, gigantic coaching salaries, extravagant football facilities and money-driven realignment moves has finally reached a breaking point: The original moral standing that prohibited college athletes from profiting off their talents now rings increasingly hollow.

So if the Ohio State tattoo scandal broke today, would Pryor and company garner more sympathy than they did in 2010? That's impossible to answer, but my guess is yes, though not to the same extent as Manziel. To get to that point, a figure has to be sympathetic to begin with. Johnny Football is undoubtedly polarizing, but he certainly had defenders throughout all of his offseason exploits, myself included. Pryor, by the time he finished antagonizing Kirk Herbstreit and racking up suspicious traffic violations, had almost none.