Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

Two deep released today. Lots of freshman in it:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/08/25147/ohio-state-football-buffalo-depth-chart-released#more

2015 will see OSU play twice in 5 days then. They only have 10 games scheduled and only 8 conference games. So for sure 1 more conference opponent will be added which will take place either Sept 19th, Sept 26th or Oct 31st (Give me Wisky or Nebraska at home for a night game). I wonder who the other team will be to fill in as game #12 in Sept.

Sept 7th- @Va Tech

Sept 12th- Northern Illinois

Sept 19th- Open

Sept26th- Open

Oct 3rd: @Indiana

Oct 10th: Maryland

Oct. 17: Penn State

Oct. 24: at Rutgers (Oct. 24)

Oct 31st: OPEN (Could see either Wisky/Nebraska go here for big time night game on Halloween)

Nov 7th: Minnesota

Nov 14th @Illinois

Nov 21st: Michigan State

Nov 28th: @Michigan

wow @ Va Tech for a season opener, I like that

Johnny Manziel suspended for half

Updated: August 28, 2013, 3:26 PM ET

ESPN.com news services

Johnny Football will start the season on the bench.

Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Johnny Manziel of No. 7 Texas A&M has been suspended for the first half of Saturday's season opener against the Rice Owls, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy on Wednesday afternoon.

An agreement has been reached between the NCAA and Texas A&M that a source told ESPN's McMurphy closes the book on Manziel's recent issues.

The NCAA has acknowledged Manziel did not receive money for signing autographs, the source said.

The NCAA had been investigating whether Manziel was paid for autographs, a potential violation of amateurism rules that could threaten his eligibility.

Texas A&M staff and players had been instructed early this week by school officials not to talk about Manziel.

However, after not discussing the matter Tuesday, coach Kevin Sumlin broke his silence about how Manziel has dealt with off-field distractions during the SEC teleconference Wednesday.

"Johnny's handled it very well," Sumlin said. "Everything around football, he's been extremely sharp and focused."

Sumlin said Tuesday that the coaches have plans for any number of situations that could happen with their players and team, and that they plan for the possible absence of players every week.

NCAA investigators spent a large chunk of Sunday with Manziel, questioning him about allegations from memorabilia dealers that he accepted payments for autographs, a source familiar with the investigation told ESPN.com on Monday night.

While Sumlin wouldn't discuss Manziel's availability for Week 1, he had no problem talking about whether football has helped the quarterback deal with everything going on off the field.

"I know he likes to play football," Sumlin said. "I think the structure that he has had since Aug. 4 has been nothing but helpful."

In Manziel's absence, the Aggies will use either junior Matt Joeckel or freshman Kenny Hill Joeckel is more of a pocket passer and Hill is a dual-threat quarterback. Joeckel has thrown just 11 passes in his college career. Hill, who starred at Texas high school powerhouse Southlake Carroll (near Dallas), threw for 2,291 yards and 20 TDs and ran for 905 yards and 22 more scores as a senior last season.

Sumlin said the competition between the two is ongoing and that he's been pleased with the progress of both players. He said it helps the team because it's allowed all quarterbacks to get work with the first team.

Sumlin said is confident that Texas A&M's offense will be OK no matter who's running the show because of its offensive line. The group, led by left tackle Jake Matthews, is expected to be a strength despite losing Joeckel's twin brother, Luke Joeckel, who was selected second overall in the NFL draft by Jacksonville. Matthews, son of NFL Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews, will be joined on the line this season by younger brother Mike Matthews at center.

"We've got a really solid offensive line which takes a little bit of the pressure off Matt and Kenny," Sumlin said. "When Johnny's taking snaps, when he's in there, he's really trying to help the perimeter guys. Our offensive line gives us an opportunity to rotate those quarterbacks and have them be successful."

The uncertainty surrounding Manziel had put a damper on the excitement surrounding the Aggies, who finished 11-2 in their first season as a member of the SEC. Without naming Manziel, Sumlin was asked how he balances the needs of a player over those of the team. He likened his team to a family, saying many things are done and said behind closed doors that the public will never know about.

But he did share his philosophy on leading the Aggies.

"There's nothing more important than the team," he said. "We talk to them about what we expect from them on the field, what we expect from them off the field and what we expect from them effort-wise and accountability-wise and being able to trust each other."

Information from ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy, Travis Haney and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/college-foo...pener-rice-owls

Fucking NC double assholes! this shit pisses me off :mad::mad::mad:

Haha wow, I hate the NCAA more and more each day. How long before schools get fed up with the NCAA's shit and form their own thing?

Not soon enough!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha wow, I hate the NCAA more and more each day. How long before schools get fed up with the NCAA's shit and form their own thing?

I mean, if the DOJ isn't completely incompetent, they really could end the corruption in the NCAA and this kind of crap would stop.

What the fuckity fuck?

I am so at a loss to understand how the NCAA operates with this kind of shit that I'm suspicious that I've caught a case of developmental disability.

USC's Reggie Bush. His parents get a house. USC gets fucking whacked by NCAA.

Auburn's Cam Newton. His dad got a church. Auburn gets absolutely nothing. Zip.

Ohio State's Tat 5. Trade some of their shit for tattoos. Ohio State gets fucking whacked by NCAA.

A&M's Johnny Douchebag. Trades his autographs for cash. A&M gets absolutely nothing. Zilch.

Someone help me understand how I'm not going insane here.

What the fuckity fuck?

I am so at a loss to understand how the NCAA operates with this kind of shit that I'm suspicious that I've caught a case of developmental disability.

Ohio State's Tat 5. Trade some of their shit for tattoos. Ohio State gets fucking whacked by NCAA.

A&M's Johnny Douchebag. Trades his autographs for cash. A&M gets absolutely nothing. Zilch.

well I'll try to help, you did over look that Auburn was punished with a National Championship as A&M was slammed with a Heisman trophy winner

I've thought the Big Ten should succeed form the NCAA, pay their players, shouldn't be hard to recruit talent from the SEC then.....

BOOM! nailed it

The only SEC player I can think of in recent times that has been punished for something similar was Aj Green.

Just looked that case up because I was interested to see if Georgia made the fatal error of being honest and self-reporting the violation to the NCAA (as OSU did - the NCAA is clearly incompetent on their own). Looks like AJ made the mistake of being honest. NCAA asked him for his bank records, he gave them to them, they saw the $1,000 deposit, asked what it was for and AJ told the truth. Sucks for him. Had he denied it he never would have sat a minute.

One more reason the NCAA won't be governing high level college football for much longer.

Posted on 16 JAN 2013.

I am giving this three years. In the next three years you will see an exodus of the top four conferences in major college football from the NCAA. They MAY stick around for all other sports, but football will create a new governing body.

What the fuckity fuck?

I see some serious bias from the NCAA and the sports "media". They were here for weeks if not months trying to dig up more on OSU.

You don't hear anything else about that whole Miami deal anymore do you? How about NC got drilled for changing grades, but that was swept under the rug.

It looks like they are just washing their hands of this whole Johnny Fucktard thing.

What the fuckity fuck?

OSU got whacked because Tressel covered it up, then idiots kept taking money illegally. Why do we keep forgetting that fact? If nothing more had happened than the originaly tat 5 shit, it would have been player suspensions and nothing more, ever.

I'm not one of those that thinks we SHOULDN'T have been wacked. The rules were broken, and discipline was needed. Where I get frustrated is the complete lack of any consistency at ALL when it comes to the NCAA's handling of punishment. I think that is actually where the issue lies for most folks.

I'm not one of those that thinks we SHOULDN'T have been wacked. The rules were broken, and discipline was needed. Where I get frustrated is the complete lack of any consistency at ALL when it comes to the NCAA's handling of punishment. I think that is actually where the issue lies for most folks.

I think OSU actually got off pretty easy for the whole situation. Many players taking money, a head coach knowing about it and covering it up, players still taking money after the first incident. I think the inconsistancy lies with the very first tat5. Otherwise I think it can be argued that OSU got a bit of preferential treatment.

OSU got whacked because Tressel covered it up, then idiots kept taking money illegally. Why do we keep forgetting that fact? If nothing more had happened than the originaly tat 5 shit, it would have been player suspensions and nothing more, ever.

This.

I think OSU actually got off pretty easy for the whole situation. Many players taking money, a head coach knowing about it and covering it up, players still taking money after the first incident. I think the inconsistancy lies with the very first tat5. Otherwise I think it can be argued that OSU got a bit of preferential treatment.

The punishment for the players involved were 5 game suspension for trading something they earned towards tats vs 1/2 game suspension for taking thousands of dollars to sign autographs, don't see any preferential treatment towards tOSU at all.

The punishment for the players involved were 5 game suspension for trading something they earned towards tats vs 1/2 game suspension for taking thousands of dollars to sign autographs, don't see any preferential treatment towards tOSU at all.

That's what I said. The 5 players got hammered, but otherwise, OSU got off pretty light.

1 vacated season, 1 bowl ban, lost of scholarships, I wouldn't consider it light. Yes, USC has got worse, but their offense was worse.

It's pretty light. They PROVED that 10 or so players were getting improper benefits, that the coach knew about improper benefits, then covered it up. And vacating seasons isn't really a punishment, it's just stupid symbolism.

That's what I said. The 5 players got hammered, but otherwise, OSU got off pretty light.

they did? tOSU had to vacate ALL wins including the bowl game that season, they were fined, oh they were not allowed to play in the NC game last season thus costing Ohio State a national title. (we would have killed ND). So thank you NCAA for doing such a GREAT job and punishing all schools that violate the rules and letting the pettie shit(Ohio State) slide. :mad: (not mad at you LJ)

And vacating seasons isn't really a punishment, it's just stupid symbolism.

It's "symbolism" that Michigan uses to remind the entire college football universe of their preeminence on the regular.

No, wins count for something. They are bragging rights, at least. They also one of the yardsticks for measuring bluebloods of the sport.

I think Zack is right: what I take from all of this is that if I'm a school accused of wrongdoing, I admit to nothing, lawyer the fuck up, and stare down the NCAA. Or, of course, just be in the SEC.

The SEC thing is important, no doubt, but some other schools have pulled it off. USC almost got it right but got cocky on top of everything and pissed off the NCAA.

Oregon kept their mouths shut, stuck to a story of a lesser crime and got a slap on the wrist.

UNC simply changed some stuff around making all of the "perks" available to their athletes in the classroom available to everyone in those classes and all of a sudden their academic scandal went poof.

OSU cooperated, self-reported, kept trying to get out ahead of stuff and making asses out of themselves and got what they got.

PSU gave the NCAA carte blanche so the NCAA used the Freeh report and hammered them.

Miami will be interesting because Yahoo did all the legwork there (as they did with USC and some of Oregon's stuff) and the NCAA sent their people to Miami and they fucked up.

I think that covers the non-SEC schools. UNC and Oregon pulled some shit and got off much easier than they should have, OSU and PSU tried to cooperate and got hit harder than they should have, Miami is TBD but they're doing a combo job... keeping their mouths shut like Oregon but very quietly and continuously keeping themselves out of post-season play.

And the only reason it looks like OSU got off easy is because they were lucky enough that Urban was available and willing. It was an absolute dream scenario that OSU would come out of this with Urban and the hope of maintaining the quality they had become accustomed to under Tressel. If Urban decides he's not ready yet/he's done with coaching who is at OSU right now? Bo Pelini? :no: