Good Guys Detailing did a GREAT job

Doc1647545523

I've been talking to detailers and reading for the last year about a new approach to maintaining auto finishes. 22PLE is a glass coating system with products for car paint, plastic trim and metal/rims. People in the know told me that it was an optimal compromise between gloss and durability without breaking the bank. Users are claiming about a two-year life of the finish and say that because dirt and contaminants have a hard time sticking to it, it needs less frequent washings. When you do wash it, owners say a soaking, rinse, and dry is all that's needed compared to having to rub with a sponge or microfiber wash cloth.

I had been using Griot's sealant on my cars after a good wash, claybar, and polish (if needed). I liked the result much better than waxing, but with a bunch of cars driven regularly in all types of conditions, it was keeping this old man too busy.

I read about Addison Good, a newer sponsor on CR, and saw that he was experienced with the 22PLE system, and he quoted me a price less than half the going rate for this work.

My car's aren't wrecks, but under bright enough light you can see lots of problems:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/_DSC0326_zps24586656.jpg

This is after just a wash, claybar and polish by Addison:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/_DSC0327_zpsc5443ef3.jpg

Addison quoted me three different "levels" of correction for the car, and told me he would wait until he worked with the car before he would recommend an approach/price. To my delight, after working with the paint, he said that compounding the car to remove further imperfections would not, in his opinion, give me a very good value. So he recommended the lowest estimate! How often do you run into this level of quality? :)

I had gotten some cloudiness from having gone about a year since my last sealing, but Addison really got the paint to pop:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/_DSC0353_zpsb18fad59.jpg

exactly what I was looking for in this product:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/_DSC0352_zpsa7be920a.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/_DSC0356_zpsa107ed20.jpg

Who's that creepy old guy lurking in the background?

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/_DSC0359_zps2518b540.jpg

The finish feels ultra smooth and level. It didn't pick up so much as a flake of dust on the hour ride home over roads covered with dried de-icer. I'll update the thread as I go through some washing cycles and get to test how well the finish lasts.

Addison is very professional. I don't turn over my good cars to just anyone, but I didn't have a moment's hesitation or regret entrusting the Flying Spur to him.

If you're looking for world-class detailing knowledge, skill, and attention to detail at a price much lower than others in the area, I don't think you'll have any regrets calling Addison at Good Guys. His basic maintenance detailing starts at $65. Here's his website: http://goodguysdetailing.com/

Thanks again, Addison. :D

Although he washed the wheels and tires, and dressed the tires, I didn't get the treatment on the wheels. I work on those myself, although in the above pictures, they are simply washed. I wanted to keep the price low, and Addison was happy to oblige by only doing the paint, not the plastic or the wheels. At some point, I might ask him to do the wheels as well.

Doc if you could please keep us in the loop as to your satisfaction of this product, I've got a couple of vehicles that I would like to get coated this spring one of which will need paint correction and I'm trying to decide what system to use and i think I've narrowed it down to this system and Opti-Coat.

I'll do that, Will. I understand Opti-coat is a good product, but more $$$ than I'm comfortable with. Addison and possibly the other detailers on CR will know a lot more about the comparison than I do.

I'll post again to the thread this spring and send you a PM.

I've been meaning to pick up some 22PLE and do some experimenting with it.

I've been a pretty avid opti-coat user since it was released. The original coating from August 2011 is still going on my Audi. It doesn't bead as tightly as it used to but shows properties of not beind dead either.

BUT as doc says opti-coat is not cheap, it's finiky to work with, you have to go to great lengths to make sure the car is prepped correctly in order for it to bond as it should AND I have had issues in humid situations where it doesn't like to setup particularly well.

Back on topic, Doc the car looks great, Addison: VERY nice work as always!

Andy

Thank you very much for the post doc. I'm glad you were happy with the car.

Doc if you could please keep us in the loop as to your satisfaction of this product, I've got a couple of vehicles that I would like to get coated this spring one of which will need paint correction and I'm trying to decide what system to use and i think I've narrowed it down to this system and Opti-Coat.

Feel free to give me a call anytime to see which coating would be good for you. They are each very different and picking the one that is best fit for you can be tricky but please call me anytime with any questions.

Thank you very much for the post doc. I'm glad you were happy with the car.

Feel free to give me a call anytime to see which coating would be good for you. They are each very different and picking the one that is best fit for you can be tricky but please call me anytime with any questions.

Thanks, I will

• 2 months later...

As an update to this thread, I washed the Bentley yesterday for the first time since I got the 22PLE applied in February.

For starters, the fact that the car stayed clean for two months with just regular dusting and one detail spraying tells you that the coating works well to prevent dirt from sticking to the surface.

It was a much simpler wash than usual, too. I sprayed the car with a soap/water mix, then went over the front of the car with a cloth to help remove bug splatter, then just rinsed the car with water and dried it. It looks great, as if it had just been waxed/sealed.

I'm very happy with 22PLE so far. Thanks again, Addison. :thumbup: