Gillbot's car tire kicking thread

gillbot

Nice! I didn't know that's what you got to replace the Mazda, unless you just added to the fleet :)

We just sold our 135i Race car with a Dinan Tune.

Racecar

Yup, traded the Mazda in. I was just on the TC Kline website last night doing some window shopping. Must resist for the time being, seeing as how this car has a warranty on it. Eventual goals are M3/1M front control arms, camber plates, fat wheels/tires, as the lack of camber and wheel/tire relative to the power are this car's biggest faults.

I missed most of last season's AutoX due to travel, but the plan is to have a pretty full season this year. If we get a chance, I would love to pick your guys' brains on how set the car up. I'm going to be running in the new RTR class for the time being, and doing everything sideways as the car still has the OE runflats on it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should've have a chat with their GM about opportunity cost and how that BRZ is going to end up costing him gross profit in accrued interest so he might as well just let it go at sticker or less.
All cars on Byers lots are not going to accrue interest when they own all the cars FYI. They are not financed.

Camaro ZL1 or CTS-V?

I know the CTS-V is "nicer" but it carries a hefty premium over the ZL1. I was thinking about the new Mustang also, but the horror stories about transmissions has me as skurred as Jones at a drag race. Are there similar issues with the ZL1?

EDIT: Ran across a 2010 CTS-V lightly modded for $47k private party and a 2013 Camaro ZL1 used for $51K at a dealer. I think the dealer may budge on the ZL1 but I doubt the CTS-V seller will move any on the price.

gillbot, if you want a CTS-V I'd keep looking. I've found several in the past for between $38-41k for 2009 models and the 2010's are mid $40k-low-50k's. Once the new model CTS is released in 2014 prices will drop again...

Then again, I would go look at a CPO Audi S4 or 335i long before I would buy a GM/Caddy... ;)

Not sure what color you want but:

2011 Red $48,9xx: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=77304&endYear=2011&keywordPhrases=CTS-V&modelCode1=CTS&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2008&makeCode1=CAD&listingType=certified&listingTypes=certified&sellerTypes=b&searchRadius=0&mmt=[CAD[CTS[]][]]&listingId=331851759&listingIndex=9&Log=0

IMO, the one must have option is the RECARO seats...

I got a line on a Coupe in Michigan, if they answer me back the wife's gonna be mad cause i'm making a road trip!

Otherwise, I'm still tire kickin and looking to see what I can find. I need 4 seats and don't mind a 2+2 since my kids are small. The BWM's aren't my first choice, but they are growing on me. I saw one local today and it looked better in person than online so I may give them more of a chance.

I wouldn't even consider a CTS-V coupe. The back doesn't look right to me, they are a hair heavier than the sedan and less room...

+1

cts-v sedan gets my vote. if you have small kids, you need 4 doors. trust me. i have several 2+2 cars and its ALWAYS a pain to load the kids in the back---seems like it wouldn't be, but it is. you can find plenty of '10's for much less than $50k. hell, i bought my '10 two years ago with 10k miles on it for bottom $50's. find a two year old model and enjoy LSA power with 3 more years left on the factory powertrain warranty. these cars don't do well in the winter unless you've got all season tires, and even then.....

if you need something to get around in the snow in, i'd go AWD then. my view is slightly skewed on this, as i live in wisconsin, and once we get snow, it stays on the road for a while.

Agree....if you need a 100% DD through the winter I would get AWD, S4, 335xi, etc..

+1

I love the idea of my wife driving around in a 550+ hp car right up until she spun it out into a snow drift at the gas station a few months ago. The v has stayed in the garage since that incident. It does not do well in the snow

Got a few offers out on CTS-V's right now. We'll see if they pan out, if not i'll keep tire kicking.

You won't regret it. Mine is bone stock except a catback, and is still very fun to drive. You can easily add a pulley, zr1 blower, whatever. It's an awesome car

You won't regret it. Mine is bone stock except a catback, and is still very fun to drive. You can easily add a pulley, zr1 blower, whatever. It's an awesome car

I think i'm running in to the wrong time to buy. Dealerships are jacking up prices in an effort to maximize on the warmer weather buying season. I was hoping to sneak something in, but pretty much all the places i've contacted have brushed me off and won't negotiate at all. O-well, my search will continue.

I'd say a little more for a clean one...

Only problem is mods are stupid expensive for them...

Agreed but not too much more. Only cars actually trading hands above 50 are factory x50 low mile cars. Trying to talk my wife into ditching the E55 in favor of one for her nice weather car.

• 2 weeks later...
What's the deal with the BMW M6? Ran across one on craigslist and it seems decent.

LOVE the M5/M6 cars but heavy and for the money other better options...

In that class they are all expensive to maintain unless you do the work yourself so that's kind of a moot point.

LOVE the M5/M6 cars but heavy and for the money other better options...

In that class they are all expensive to maintain unless you do the work yourself so that's kind of a moot point.

Yeah, that was the info i'm looking for, but again isn't the CTS-V kinda heavy as well? I think the BMW cars' looks might be growing on me after I started looking at them more.

Yes but look at prices to mod the M5/M6.

M5 = 4,100

M5 wagon = 4,300

M6 coupe = 3,900

M6 vert = 4,300

Mods:

http://www.evosport.com/

http://www.evosport.com/product/vehicle/guides/BMW_M5M6.pdf

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/index.aspx?series=M-Series

You are talking $6-10k for just basic bolt-on's and ya the car will run over 200mph but it's barely in the mid-high 11's.

I've seen stock CTS-V's run faster and with a few $k in mods a CTS-V is easily mid-10's..

Yeah, that was the info i'm looking for, but again isn't the CTS-V kinda heavy as well? I think the BMW cars' looks might be growing on me after I started looking at them more.

if you're talking the v10 M cars i think they make 3XX torque, and make all their power up top. ok, if you're going to go all out, and rev the car sky high every time. the V makes 550 torque, and makes tons of it right off idle speed---the fun factor for driving the car at 50-75% throttle (normal around town driving) is much, much more gratifying in the V. if you're paying roughly 50% of the original car's worth, you better be prepared for issues with the car--just my thoughts---that, and you'll get beat by the V

if you're talking the v10 M cars i think they make 3XX torque, and make all their power up top. ok, if you're going to go all out, and rev the car sky high every time. the V makes 550 torque, and makes tons of it right off idle speed---the fun factor for driving the car at 50-75% throttle (normal around town driving) is much, much more gratifying in the V. if you're paying roughly 50% of the original car's worth, you better be prepared for issues with the car--just my thoughts---that, and you'll get beat by the V

I'm leaning less and less towards fast and more towards just fun. I need to get behind the wheel of these and just see how I like them. I did the 1/4 thing in the Camaro, I'm done with that. Launching and running them like that just breaks and costs too much. If I can get something (700hp/250tq) to have fun in and it can't run the 1/4 in under 12, so what.

(Waiting for my brother to pop in here and tell me to get a honda.....)