Help me find my 1st bike!!

Dr. Apex

As the title says I'm looking at bikes finally, with a normal job now I will be driving to and from work eveeryday and can't use the Mustang for that.

This will be my 1st and will be learning to ride so nothing new or fancy. I will have about $1000 cash to work with to either buy an older one outright or maybe throw down on a used slightly newer bike. I'm open to most anything but a Harley or chopper though I'd rather not be crunched onto a crotch rocket. Prolly prefer a Japanese bike that will be reliable and economical and easy to lear on.

Suggestions/tips for both the bike and learning to ride??

BTW, live in Phoenix area so I'm looking at stuff down here and from what Adam(Dorito) says the prices are high.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx, Ryan. Reviews are pretty good on these and I'm not seeing many for sale at all which is prolly a good thing. Anything to look out for on these bikes?? Big enough for an ogre like me to ride(6'2")??

nothing really to look out for on them, they are pretty bullet proof motors.

general stuff to look out for is leaking fork seals, old used up tires, chain and sprockets condition.

and then the normal stuff youd look for on a car, general condition, brakes, any fluid leaks, etc.

you should be able to pick up an older model (carbed) for pretty cheap.

the newer style bikes, 03 up i believe, are fuel injected. same motor, jsut fuel injected.

i had an 01 and it was a really fun bike. i picked it up for like $1500

youll be a little heavy for the suspension, but thats common on most bikes, they are all under sprung, but can be rememdied easily and cheaply on the SV650

As the title says I'm looking at bikes finally, with a normal job now I will be driving to and from work eveeryday and can't use the Mustang for that.

This will be my 1st and will be learning to ride so nothing new or fancy. I will have about $1000 cash to work with to either buy an older one outright or maybe throw down on a used slightly newer bike. I'm open to most anything but a Harley or chopper though I'd rather not be crunched onto a crotch rocket. Prolly prefer a Japanese bike that will be reliable and economical and easy to lear on.

Suggestions/tips for both the bike and learning to ride??

BTW, live in Phoenix area so I'm looking at stuff down here and from what Adam(Dorito) says the prices are high.

How heavy are you? My first bike is the one you see in my sig, Triumph Trophy 1200. Spent a bit more than $1000 to get it, but I bring it up for one simple reason.

You need to go somewhere that has a lot of bikes and just sit on a bunch to see what's comfortable. These guys aren't wrong with their suggestions, but I was recommended a billion different bikes and ended up buying one that seemed way out of my league in terms of power and style.

I'm 6'3 300lb, so I was looking at cruisers and not finding anything I like with a $2500 budget. I wanted something nice and torquey without being really rough to ride. After checking out a few smaller displacement cruisers, I went to Motohio on a whim since the owner Mike has a Cooper S and comes by to talk cars every so often. He showed me the Triumph he had and as soon as I got on it I felt a bit more comfortable than any of the other bikes. Did some research, found that the thing is only about 500 lbs, has 100+hp, and despite being pretty much the opposite of a beginner bike, I rolled the dice and have been extremely pleased with my purchase.

I'm about 270lbs right now but will be reducing that amount soon as I just got a gym membership again, but for now.....

I know I will need to get into a place that has some bikes to sit on, found a couple not far from me at all so when I get back home I can really start looking. My reasoning on possibly a smaller bike is like learning to ski/board, they usually put you on undersized stuff as its easier to handle. My plan is to learn 1st, then after a year or so find something to my preference but if I find something I like now, then perfect.

Budget is def an issue with this little money as I'm taking a pay cut with the new job. However, the math says even with a small bike payment it will more than be offset with the fuel savings vs the Stang everyday so I don't mind getting into a modest payment on something a couple years old, plus in theory newer should need less maintenance.

Ryan, I'll keep all that in mind, as I know nothing about bikes really but am mechanically inclined enough to at least see the obvious stuff, thanx.

the best things about the SVs are they are a great starter bike (enough power to not get bored, but not enough to get you in serious trouble, by trouble i dont mean with the law, i mean to much throttle exiting corners, etc.) hey have 2 models, the standard which has a more upright riding position, has dirtbike style bars, or the the S model which has clip ons. i prefer the standard model, more comfortable, and feels more like a hooligan bike.

also they keep their value pretty well. the new models tend to bottom out at $2500 - $3500 and stay there price wise. which means youll get a good return on your investment if you do look to upgrade.

finally, as stated its a great beginner bike, but its also a great bike for a seasoned rider. there is no way youll be able to outride that bikes capabilities as a newbie. For a seasoned rider its a shit ton of fun, cause you can ring the shit out of it and really put it to the test, slower bikes are sometimes more fun to ride cause you ride them on the ragged edge.

the torquey V twin motor makes a great noise, and doesnt feel as slow as it is.

all those reasons are why i reccomend that bike to any beginner. a 250 is not a bad bike, but youll suffer trying to ride highway speeds, and youll grow out of the bike really fast. a 600 supersport is ALOT of bike for a beginner, not saying you cant handle it, but most people wanna jump on a 600 and blast on the straights, and they dont even use the bike to its potential.

learn to RIDE the bike the way its meant to be ridden, and youll have alot more respect for a 600 or 1000cc supersport.

the straights arent the fun parts.. its the twisty bits =-)

I love my Yamaha yfz600r its a sport touring bike more than anything. more upright feel then a standard rocket. great bike been reliable as all can be. Has plently of power for being a heavy bike but not too much for a beginner ,and the banana seat makes for long comfortable rides. Bike still has plenty of power to get up and moving (runs a 11.70@120) but is very easy for even a new rider. It gets 60 mpg on the highway. Mine has 28k miles and has made 500 passes at the track :lol: and runs like it did when I bought it.

If you are in columbud anytime soon and want to take it for a ride your more then welcome to come try it out if you want to get a feel for something

Doesn't look too bad personally

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=68&pictureid=6986

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=68&pictureid=403

the best things about the SVs are they are a great starter bike (enough power to not get bored, but not enough to get you in serious trouble, by trouble i dont mean with the law, i mean to much throttle exiting corners, etc.) hey have 2 models, the standard which has a more upright riding position, has dirtbike style bars, or the the S model which has clip ons. i prefer the standard model, more comfortable, and feels more like a hooligan bike.

also they keep their value pretty well. the new models tend to bottom out at $2500 - $3500 and stay there price wise. which means youll get a good return on your investment if you do look to upgrade.

finally, as stated its a great beginner bike, but its also a great bike for a seasoned rider. there is no way youll be able to outride that bikes capabilities as a newbie. For a seasoned rider its a shit ton of fun, cause you can ring the shit out of it and really put it to the test, slower bikes are sometimes more fun to ride cause you ride them on the ragged edge.

the torquey V twin motor makes a great noise, and doesnt feel as slow as it is.

all those reasons are why i reccomend that bike to any beginner. a 250 is not a bad bike, but youll suffer trying to ride highway speeds, and youll grow out of the bike really fast. a 600 supersport is ALOT of bike for a beginner, not saying you cant handle it, but most people wanna jump on a 600 and blast on the straights, and they dont even use the bike to its potential.

learn to RIDE the bike the way its meant to be ridden, and youll have alot more respect for a 600 or 1000cc supersport.

the straights arent the fun parts.. its the twisty bits =-)

Man after my own heart!! I agree with ya 100%, not looking to kill myself at all, just want something practical to learn on and save on fuel.

Looking around comparing prices I'm clearly better off buying in Ohio and having something shipped to AZ, WAY cheaper in Ohio. Found only 1 SV650 in AZ and they're asking $4995 for an 06'. It's low miles at 4,2xx but still I'm seeing 07's cheaper with similiar miles in Ohio.

Paul, I'll be in Cbus this week actually and my hit you up for that, maybe not ride but can at least get some tips from ya. I'm quite open to Yamahas, dads boat is a yamaha and it has such a cherry engine, they make good stuff.

Thanx guys, I'll be in Cbus here in a couple days and plan on looking around, at least try on a few bikes to see how I fit. Looked at ASK's inventory and they don't have much for used though. Other places to look??

http://www.kccycleandatv.com/ bought all my toys from them, mom and pop shop owner Al and cristy will take care of you mile or so past national trails. Stop in to the shop as they don't update there online much.

I'll throw out another vote for SV but I would stick to the fuel injected models if budget permits. I had two carb models and seemed to have gummed up carbs even after they sat for a short time. Racetech front end and a 636 shock and it handled the best of any bike I've had. You may also want to look at FZ6 from Yamaha.

Ben, when you get back I can take you to work on my day off and you can sit on as many bikes as your heart desires. We'll find something that you will like. You don't have to buy it there, but at least there is enough selection to get an idea. We just did a 20+ used bike group buy so there are definitely a few to choose from.

Regarding learning to ride, do they offer any basic rider courses out there through the BMV? Ohio has the following which is a great way to learn. They provide the bikes (250cc) and when you're done you get your license.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm

I know you are in AZ but they may have something similar. Also take a look at a book called Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It's a good read for any rider. Good luck.

Ben, a resource who hasn't been mentioned is Josh (flat tire) who's the GM of Thiel's Wheels in Upper Sandusky. http://www.twheelshd.com/default.asp

Josh has been in the business most of his life and is incredibly knowledgable about bikes. He's the only one I'll deal with. I'd give him a call or a PM, tell him your with CR, explain your situation, and see what he says.

If you end up buying a bike in Ohio, rather than in AZ, you're welcome to store it at the Hangout until it's convenient for you to get it home.

Regarding learning to ride, do they offer any basic rider courses out there through the BMV? Ohio has the following which is a great way to learn. They provide the bikes (250cc) and when you're done you get your license.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm

I know you are in AZ but they may have something similar. Also take a look at a book called Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It's a good read for any rider. Good luck.

i took this course last summer, and it's WELL worth anyone's time and cash! it's simply the MSF basic rider course, only subsidized by the BMV, so it's the same as any other MSF course around the country(it'll just be more like $150 instead of $15...). the bikes are pretty awful - 250cc cruisers, although they did have 2 cool as hell yamaha TW200s - but they do the job.

so, yea, that's a +1 for the MSF basic rider course! and, if anyone in ohio is looking to take it through the BMV, then you better sign up now, because it fills up about 3 months out.

I took the MSF and the sport bike course (required by military) Great courses. Defiantly saved a few crashes!

I will throw up another for Paul's YZF600. I have a R6 and it is a great bike and I have no doubts the his bike is great too! I bet it would also be more comfortable then mine for longer trips. My longest was 3 1/2 hours in cold rain and I was DEAD!