How do YOU price a unique automobile?

STEVE-O

Most obvious its only worth what someone will pay blah blah blah,,,,

How do you, when looking to buy a particular vehicle determine what a good price is when there is say no book value and no other similar ones for sale? Either it be a race car, off road machine, non street legal, or be a full on show car??

Put it on eBay with a super high reserve to see what you get, or put it on Craigslist with a price above what you think its worth and see what kind of offers you get, simply because its like you said, its only worth what someone will pay for it.

I kinda ment more along the lines if you were going to be the buyer what would you do to set a price on said car or whatever it is you would be buying realistically not just tossing out super lowball offers.

I am with vinny. I need to buy for what I can get back out of it at the drop of a hat.

That is mostly my exact thoughts as well but do you feel the same way of its not just a toy? Or what if you are trying to put a value on it for someone other than yourself say a less savy car person

I buy alot of stuff at great prices, probably far below their true value. I rarely put the first offer on an item and allow the seller to do so. I almost always have a number that comes in my head the second I lay eyes on something and dont vary from that very much even if a seller has what others might feel is a fair price. I dont fall in love with what I buy and when it does rarely happen than I expect to pay retail or at least alot closer to it. I look at every purchase as an investment and although I may break even when I sale, I never want to lose money no matter how long I have had an item or if it was in better condition when I myself bought it.

I kinda ment more along the lines if you were going to be the buyer what would you do to set a price on said car or whatever it is you would be buying realistically not just tossing out super lowball offers.

In that case, I would post what your looking at on here and ask for opinions on price.

I buy alot of stuff at great prices, probably far below their true value. I rarely put the first offer on an item and allow the seller to do so. I almost always have a number that comes in my head the second I lay eyes on something and dont vary from that very much even if a seller has what others might feel is a fair price. I dont fall in love with what I buy and when it does rarely happen than I expect to pay retail or at least alot closer to it. I look at every purchase as an investment and although I may break even when I sale, I never want to lose money no matter how long I have had an item or if it was in better condition when I myself bought it.

I never look at a car as an investment. In my mind thar is a losing proposition on day to day buys.

In that case, I would post what your looking at on here and ask for opinions on price.

I'm not currently looking at anything, so you would value it bases off of what other people say like many I assume would do also.

What is said car? If some of us know the vehicle, mods, purpose, etc you can see what some on here would be willing to pay.

With that I have over 25k in my truck but know i couldnt get more than 6-7k from the right buyer as it would be niche buy so the price of said car is just a matter of one's taste and wallet size.

I'm not currently looking at anything, so you would value it bases off of what other people say like many I assume would do also.

Yes. I would take into account what others who may have more knowledge than myself would pay for something. I wouldn't let that be my only deciding factor, in the end I wouldn't pay more for something than I think its worth.

9 times out of 10 when you build a car, it will sell/be for sale for less than what the person has in it. UNLESS it is a grassroots simple swap, but even at that it is hard to break even.

If you are creating a unique car, I think you would be silly to build them to make money on. It's not easy unless you can do everything yourself from mechanics, to body work.

I would look into the market, message boards being the best because you can see peoples opinions on prices. Otherwise I start with waht I would be happy with getting out of it (high number) usually and see what happens, if no responses then obviously my price is high.

The military vehicle market proves that any thing is possible and it will be up to who was attracted to the vehicle when it was for sale.

As everyone else has said, custom or unique vehicles can't really be valued except to the point of what someone would pay at that moment and that will depend on the person.

This is assuming the said vehicle is in near 100% working order and legal for use to some degree.

I had a hard time deciding what to pay for my Mazda. In the end one of the factors I put in is how much I thought I could get from the car quickly in a pinch and how much I was willing to lose.

This sounds like the best way to price something.