New SUV Review - Korean's Kicking Ass

TTQ B4U

So while the wife and kids were in California and along the west coast for several weeks we needed room and I wanted something fun and sporty so I rented a New Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with the 2.0T 265hp+ motor. Damn was I impressed and had fun.

Okay, so it's Korean and not a Japanese Lexus or what not, but the damn thing was loaded with leather, Infinity Sound, bluetooth, etc. and the sport package really dressed up the outside and believe it or not the thing corners better than you'd expect. Better than most sedans, especially on the twisty mountain roads. Really made it a fun rental.

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/hyundai/santa-fe/2013/oem/2013_hyundai_santa-fe_4dr-suv_sport-20t_rq_oem_2_500.jpg

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/hyundai/santa-fe/2013/oem/2013_hyundai_santa-fe_4dr-suv_sport-20t_i_oem_3_500.jpg

Ours was just like the above unit. As a daily the turbo really is nice but I can't help but have a strong interest in the 290hp 3.3 v6 offering. I bet it would be much smoother and likely a better daily. The turbo was really nice, even down low though. Never felt underpowered in any gear and after about a week in the hills, I learned where it's sweet spot lives and kept the sportier manu-matic shifter going.

Long story short, as if you're in the market for a mid size SUV, the new style is definitely worth pricing out.

I had a 2003ish Santa Fe. It was probably one of the best vehicles we've had for a family vehicle. I think we sold it for a couple grand over book because my wife took such good care of it as well. I think I like the Tucson in the looks department better though, now.