Alaska Help/Questions

Wes Stone

Okay, going to Alaska and leave next week. Went to Midwest Photo Exchange bought a few things and i'll list my current gear. What i'm wondering if I should do or not is find an extender or does anyone have an extender I can borrow? I will give you the full amount of the extender to hold until I return it or whatever deal you want to make with me.

My second thing is am i forgetting anything? Once I leave i'm pretty much hosed on getting anything I may forget.

My third thing is that I bought a Promaster filter from MPEX and I'm not finding good info on them or if they are good or bad. They list them for $184.99 and Amazon sells them for the same price. The gentleman sold it to me for $99. Should I return and get a B+W for $119?

Okay so current list of items I have and taking:

Canon T2i

Canon 70-200 f2.8

Canon 50mm

Canon Kit Lens

Tamron 10-24

Promaster 77mm Circular Polarized Filter

Benro Tripod and Monopod

Rain Bags in case it rains a lot

2 64GB SD Cards which I can empty on my chromebook

I dunno I just really don't want to get there and be like I shoulda brought XYZ.

Thanks,

Looks like you have it covered IMO.

Since I have never been there my impression of Alaska would be a Wide-angle and then something longer (Maybe rent a 100-400?) for Bears / Whales / Eagles / Etc. In the middle a fast 50mm and your 70-200 should do the trick.

An extra battery wouldn't be a bad idea.

Jeff

I'd leave the tripod home unless your going to do northern lights photography or other low light work.

keep those batteries warm. Lower temps will run the battery down in a few minutes. I usually only put the battery in when I'm shooting, otherwise it's in a inside shirt pocket nearest my skin.

My experience with extenders didn't impress me. I felt like the image quality was noticeably worse. I would suggest just cropping up afterward. Plus you won't lose your ability to open up wide if need be.

Can't comment on the filter as I haven't used either of them.

My experience with extenders didn't impress me. I felt like the image quality was noticeably worse. I would suggest just cropping up afterward. Plus you won't lose your ability to open up wide if need be.

It depends on the TC and lens used on. A 1.4x would be solid on his 70-200/2.8 with just a slight loss in AF speed. Anything slower than f/4 would not AF on his T2i.

Jeff

Were taking a cruise and doing excursions at the stops.

Day Port *** Arrive Depart Activity

17-May Vancouver, British Columbia 6:00 PM

18-May Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

19-May Ketchikan, Alaska 6:00 AM 4:00 PM Docked

20-May Icy Strait Point, Alaska 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Tendered

21-May Juneau, Alaska 7:00 AM 8:30 PM Docked

22-May Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 4:30 PM Docked

23-May Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) 7:00 AM 11:00 AM Cruising

24-May Seward, Alaska 5:00 AM

It depends on the TC and lens used on. A 1.4x would be solid on his 70-200/2.8 with just a slight loss in AF speed. Anything slower than f/4 would not AF on his T2i.

Jeff

Interesting. The 1.4x I used was a rental so it may have been beat up, but on my 5DIII and 70-200 2.8L the images were pretty bad. I'll have to try another one someday.

Were taking a cruise and doing excursions at the stops.

Day Port *** Arrive Depart Activity

17-May Vancouver, British Columbia 6:00 PM

18-May Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

19-May Ketchikan, Alaska 6:00 AM 4:00 PM Docked

20-May Icy Strait Point, Alaska 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Tendered

21-May Juneau, Alaska 7:00 AM 8:30 PM Docked

22-May Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 4:30 PM Docked

23-May Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) 7:00 AM 11:00 AM Cruising

24-May Seward, Alaska 5:00 AM

Expect lots of rain

We had several days of rain on our Alaskan cruise.

When we were in Juneau, it was rainy, and 38, took the tram up to the top of that little mountain, and there was 10' of snow and still snowing up there.

Rain or not, it's a great time. Lots of whales will be spotted throughout the day when cruising, she always kept the camera on her for that reason. When we got to the glacier, there was a million little seals playing on it, very cool to see in person.

haha, What is the train thing you speak of? I think were doing something like that. I'm to lazy to go look at the plans. Were taking a train somewhere and then a bus back to get different views or something.

Any computer job openings? Maybe i'll just stay lol

haha, What is the train thing you speak of? I think were doing something like that. I'm to lazy to go look at the plans. Were taking a train somewhere and then a bus back to get different views or something.

Any computer job openings? Maybe i'll just stay lol

My company is always hiring and pays relocation.

The Alaska Railroad has several different trains. The one I saw today was the Anchorage to Talkeetna train, with a bus back to Anchorage.

If you are seriously interested about staying - let me know how you like it. It is all good now - when the sun comes up at 5a and sets at 11p, and it is 60 degrees. Much different story in the winter, when it is -30 and the sun comes up at 11a and sets at 4p.

Is there anywhere you can pan for gold independently? I thought i might be fun to find a flake or 2 and at least say I did it and would be cool in my eyes. I'm trying to read some cruise forums on it and not finding much luck other than guided tours.

sounds like an awesome trip.....I'd love to do that someday. Hell.....I'd love to just live there. During the 2 weeks of summer of course. :D My buddies dad went up there last year to mine for gold on some touristy mining kinda thing. Didn't find much I don't think but he wasn't really there for the gold. Just there for the experience and came back a changed man. He's in his 70's and we've all hunted together for years. Made for some good campfire stories this last hunting season. If I went I'd need at least 1 other cabin just to cart my beer up there. Wonder what a case of Miller Lite goes for up there?

haha, i'm renting a car in Seward and driving to Anchorage. Gonna stop along the way and try and pan, there are a bunch of creeks. I'm super stoked. Should be really fun. I'm just upset were flying out the day the boat arrives i'd like to have another day in Anchorage.

Is there anywhere you can pan for gold independently? I thought i might be fun to find a flake or 2 and at least say I did it and would be cool in my eyes. I'm trying to read some cruise forums on it and not finding much luck other than guided tours.

There are Public Gold Panning locations in some of the Public Parks.

Kevin i'm not sure where your at there but i have 3-6hrs in each town to kill if you have any recommendations.

All those towns are pretty small/tourist traps, except Juneau.

I don't travel to SE Alaska very much. If you were going to be on the Kenai/Anchorage/Fairbanks I know of good stops all along those routes.

How long will you be in Seward?

Just the day :(

Were renting a car in Seward at 9am and I have to be in Anchorage by 4pm. Google says its a 2.5hr drive. I thought we would kick it up toward Anchorage and pull over at random streams and mess around take pictures, pan, whatever. We would like to go to Flat Top Mountain and hike that. Not sure how long that will take to do the 3 mile trip. So basically we have like 4.5 hours to mess around before we need to be at the airport. I would love to stay an extra day but tickets and such are already booked.

Actually were in the process of changing our airfair right now and were gonna stay in the anchorage area until monday, gonna goto denali, and then from there i'm not sure yet.

Edited by Stoney

Just the day :(

Were renting a car in Seward at 9am and I have to be in Anchorage by 4pm. Google says its a 2.5hr drive. I thought we would kick it up toward Anchorage and pull over at random streams and mess around take pictures, pan, whatever. We would like to go to Flat Top Mountain and hike that. Not sure how long that will take to do the 3 mile trip. So basically we have like 4.5 hours to mess around before we need to be at the airport. I would love to stay an extra day but tickets and such are already booked.

Actually were in the process of changing our airfair right now and were gonna stay in the anchorage area until monday, gonna goto denali, and then from there i'm not sure yet.

LOL, American's thinking they can hit all this in a weekend. :)

Denali is about a solid 4-5 hour drive from Anchorage. The road just opened last weekend, it is still snowing up there.

Seward->Anchorage (This isn't a really "fun" route). You basically decide - do you want to take the Seward North to Anchorage, or the Sterling south to Homer. I think the South router to Homer is much nicer, but your vacation, your choices. Places I would stop/see on the Seward-> Anchorage Route:

* I would take the side trip to Whittier. Drive through a cool 2.5 miles tunnel, and eat at Varly's Sweetwater Cafe (fish and chips/peel and eat shrimp). Whittier is only 10 miles off the Seward Highway. You will see Portage Glacier/Portage Lake (Most Blue Lake I have ever seen)

* If you want massive quantity of food, that is Cajun like, the Double Musky Inn, in Girdwood is okay.

* While in Girdwood, you could always visit Alyeska, I believe they leave the restaurant open year round there. Alyeska is a Ski Resort in the winter.

* Indian Valley Meats, in Indian...has some KILLER meats (Reindeer, Elk, etc...)

* Beluga Point - Just a pull off on the side of the highway, but that is where you can see the whales.

* Flat Top is a few hour hike - I am not sure what everyone's obsession is with Flat Top quite honestly :(

* Your drive from Seward to Anchorage you will be in the Chugach National Forest http://www.fs.usda.gov/chugach/ That is the website - and they have lots to see/do in there.

Anchorage Specific things to see/do:

* Eat at Moose's Tooth...Pizza Place that brews their own beer.

* Midnight Sun Brewery :)

*Snow City for breakfast

* Humpy's downtown

*Arctic Road Runner (Burgers, CASH ONLY!) The fucking ATM robs you inside.

* Earthquake Park

* Rent a Bike and ride the Tony Knowles Costal Trail http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aktrails/ats/anc/knowlsct.htm

* Lucky Wishbone (Fried Chicken Place) GET THERE EARLY!

* Simon and Seaforts (Nice place that overlooks Cook Inlet)

Wasilla Area/Mat Su Valley

* Palmer Hayflats Game Refuge

* Hatchers Pass (Tails/Mountains/Hiking)

* Denali Brewing Company (Talkeetna)

* MaHayes Jetboat tours (Talkeetna)

* Zipline Tours (Talkeetna)

I am sure I am missing a few things - but essentially you will need to prioritize. Denali is likely an overnight trip for you. It is at least a 4 hour drive, more than likely 5 (map Anchorage,AK to Healy,AK). The only benefit you have - is it is light at 4am right now - and dark at 1130pm.

If you were getting your fishing permit's I would have 5-10 other suggestions of where to fish.

also I am putting this in caps for a very specific reason...PLEASE BE SAFE DRIVING THE SEWARD HIGHWAY so many people die on that damn road every year. It is a 65 road - but you will be doing 35-50 because of all the people on the sides of the road, campers, buses, etc... It is also VERY VERY VERY scenic. You will see Dahl Sheep, Moose, Bears, etc... be mindful you are in traffic. There is also road construction on the road already, be careful!

I will PM you my number if you would like. We could always meet up and grab some beers/pizza/etc....

Just working with the time frame that I have. I'm 100% open for suggestions as I'd rather do the cool things that just try and find my way around.

Unfortunately the trip has to start like this. Get of the cruise boat at 9am-ish. Rent the car and head towards Anchorage. I have 2 passengers with me that fly out 8pm Friday. So we have 11ish hours to make the drive from Seward to Anchorage. I was going basically do the drive pull over when we see cool stuff and go from there. I was hoping to do the flattop mtn hike before we had to drop them off depending on the time. Is there another hike that is similar that is neater than flat top that you can recommend?

After we drop them off. I was going to head towards Denali. I made reservations at the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge. Was $79 for the night. After that I'm not 100% and the reason I say that I don't know if the park/busses are worth the $$. Iv'e seen several reviews were people say to save your $$ and you can see much more on your own. But i'm kinda in limbo on this right now.

At this point I don't see any reason to go on up to fairbanks I kind of liked the idea of going back south towards Homer. I understand this is completely ass backwards but I have to go to Anchorage first which kinda sucks or I'd just go to Homer first. Either was I'm going to be backtracking through Anchorage I guess.

I have no issue's driving a lot, i drive quite a bit here for work and all of the grandparents live 2+ hours away so we travel a lot.

I do like fishing, I won't have a pole or anything but i'm sure there is some touristy stuff where they will rent you that stuff. Are there places inland I can fish and what kind of fish could I catch?

Hell it sounds like I could just stay around Anchorage and find plenty to do. Which i'm more than willing to do. On the initial drive from Seward to Anchorage I will not have my 2.5yr old daughter. She will be with the grandparents and we will pick her up after we drop the other guys at the airport. They are taking a shuttle from Seward to Anchorage. So keep in mind I will have her with me for the suggestions.

I'll shoot you a PM. I'd like your number for a 911 in case shit gets crazy and i need some help haha Would also be cool to eat somewhere if I can get a set schedule i'm sure we can find some time.

Just working with the time frame that I have. I'm 100% open for suggestions as I'd rather do the cool things that just try and find my way around.

Unfortunately the trip has to start like this. Get of the cruise boat at 9am-ish. Rent the car and head towards Anchorage. I have 2 passengers with me that fly out 8pm Friday. So we have 11ish hours to make the drive from Seward to Anchorage. I was going basically do the drive pull over when we see cool stuff and go from there. I was hoping to do the flattop mtn hike before we had to drop them off depending on the time. Is there another hike that is similar that is neater than flat top that you can recommend?

After we drop them off. I was going to head towards Denali. I made reservations at the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge. Was $79 for the night. After that I'm not 100% and the reason I say that I don't know if the park/busses are worth the $$. Iv'e seen several reviews were people say to save your $$ and you can see much more on your own. But i'm kinda in limbo on this right now.

At this point I don't see any reason to go on up to fairbanks I kind of liked the idea of going back south towards Homer. I understand this is completely ass backwards but I have to go to Anchorage first which kinda sucks or I'd just go to Homer first. Either was I'm going to be backtracking through Anchorage I guess.

I have no issue's driving a lot, i drive quite a bit here for work and all of the grandparents live 2+ hours away so we travel a lot.

I do like fishing, I won't have a pole or anything but i'm sure there is some touristy stuff where they will rent you that stuff. Are there places inland I can fish and what kind of fish could I catch?

Hell it sounds like I could just stay around Anchorage and find plenty to do. Which i'm more than willing to do. On the initial drive from Seward to Anchorage I will not have my 2.5yr old daughter. She will be with the grandparents and we will pick her up after we drop the other guys at the airport. They are taking a shuttle from Seward to Anchorage. So keep in mind I will have her with me for the suggestions.

I'll shoot you a PM. I'd like your number for a 911 in case shit gets crazy and i need some help haha Would also be cool to eat somewhere if I can get a set schedule i'm sure we can find some time.

Just some friendly suggestions :) I get to see this place every day, and have traveled all over the North part of the state, just got back from Nome/Kotzebue trips for work.

Alaska isn't going anywhere - I would slow down some and enjoy things. You can always come back - this time fly directly into Anchorage :) I think Flat Top has a good view of the Inlet/Anchorage. I think trail wise though Hatcher's Pass has much better trails. Which if you end up in Hatcher's Pass, take the road all the way to Willow - it is a sweet drive through the mountains ( http://goo.gl/maps/oPc3g ) Then once in Willow you can go North to Talkeetna/Denali area, or back South to Wasilla/Anchorage.

If you have to drop people off at 8ish at Ted Stevens, I wouldn't even start the drive to Denali that night. It is a solid 5 hour drive...and this isn't the L48. Gas Stations aren't open 24 hours a day, in fact almost nothing is. Once you get passed Talkeetna, which there is a Holiday Station at the turn off, there isn't many other stops for gas.

Driving from Denali->Homer is ~8-10 hours of driving. 5 to Anchorage - then Homer is 200 ish miles from Anchorage. This state is massive :)

Slow down and enjoy your time here - Gas is now $4/gallon and rising, so if driving a bunch be prepared for fillups in the 50-75 dollar range. The roads here suck, potholes everywhere. Once you get out of Anchorage - have Cash/Visa/Mastercard Amex and Discover aren't accepted most places outside of Anchorage. Watch out for Wildlife - don't pet Moose (they kick you), be cautious of Bears while hiking/exploring. So many people come up here and die every year, it is sad.

I will respond to your PM with my number.