Thinking about a boat - wwyd: ~20k

iwishiwascool

I know nothing about boats or why they cost so much. However, this was today a few miles from my house today: link

I'd link to spend as little as possible to make sure we're into it; 20k seems reasonable. What would you get? (I live in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach Alabama)

When the shit did you move there?

$20k seems a little high for the boats you can get around that area. Look around Pensacola for cheaper

A year ago in July. I'd like something on which we can get a hand full of people. I was thinking 20k would barely get me in the ball park.

Jason is right. I just bought one a week ago after we spent probably a year really debating on whether we really wanted one, and what type.

We ended up with a 21' open-bow with a 140hp four cylinder because we wanted to be able to fish, cruise around without dropping $300 a day in gas, and occasionally pull someone behind it.

We took it out yesterday for the first time and had an absolute blast.

You first have to figure out what type of boater you are and what the boats uses will be.

Yeah, I really don't know. I'm not a 30' speedboat guy. I can fish in my back yard and I have yet to pick up the rod, so a fishing boat probably isn't going to get it's intended use. I don't see us sleeping on it but my understanding is that if it has a galley, a head and a bed it qualifies as a second home to the tax man.

Don't get a wakeboard type of boat for down here. You really need like a type of bay boat, maybe like a 20'ish center console type..? I'm assuming you won't be going out in the gulf much, so a bay boat should suite you just fine.

Edit; Also, if you think that looks fun, go check out billy bow legs this weekend over in Ft walton beach. It's like mardi gras, only on a sand bar in the water with thousands of boats.

Sounds like something like a 24' walk around would be good for you. it has a multi use cabin but not fully furnished. You can use the front of it to lounge and sunbathe, and you can lounge, party and swim off the back. They are CC boats, which is what you want for the bay and ocean. You can get them for about $15-20k.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Wellcraft-24-Walkaround-101730059

Sounds like something like a 24' walk around would be good for you. it has a multi use cabin but not fully furnished. You can use the front of it to lounge and sunbathe, and you can lounge, party and swim off the back. They are CC boats, which is what you want for the bay and ocean. You can get them for about $15-20k.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Wellcraft-24-Walkaround-101730059

I could see myself on that. I'd like one with a few more seats on deck though, we'd have 8 average sized people pretty frequently.

I could see myself on that. I'd like one with a few more seats on deck though, we'd have 8 average sized people pretty frequently.

You can find them with benches along the back sides, that one was just set up for fishing. They use bean bag type chairs on the fishing boats

24'+ walk around with twin outboards would be my goal (and what I have currently). We use deck chairs and it is comfortable, had 6 out this weekend. My boat doesn't have rear seats just a open deck and 2 seats under the enclosure, just like the one in the link.

I would rather have a nice pontoon myself. Can hold a lot of people and some are quick enough to have some fun with.

Pontoons aren't suitable for ocean and bay usage.

Agreed, I'd go with My Yacht

If I got the in laws on board it would be easy to do but I'd rather make sure we dig the scene before we take the plunge... So to speak.

Agreed, I'd go with My Yacht

If I got the in laws on board it would be easy to do but I'd rather make sure we dig the scene before we take the plunge... So to speak.

Yeah, I think deciding what you want to do is most important. Most people who have yachts like that have multiple boats for multiple purposes. The one I posted is more of your "do everything" type boats.

Oh, shows you how little I know about boats other than they float and can sink..

Disregard my previous suggestion then.

Yeah they just can't handle the conditions that can pop up

There are plenty of guys on http://www.thehulltruth.com that live in the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area that could help you out more than most in Ohio can. You can probably even talk a few guys into taking you out on their boats a few times before you buy to see if you would even enjoy it.

These 2 threads may be a good place to start

http://www.thehulltruth.com/gulf-coast/508415-sinking-lulu-party-whos-going.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/gulf-coast/506456-orange-beach-pensacola-fort-walton-billy-bowlegs.html

Yeah, I think deciding what you want to do is most important. Most people who have yachts like that have multiple boats for multiple purposes. The one I posted is more of your "do everything" type boats.

My wife is on board with the do everything type. I'll have to research if the amenities involved in your boat are enough to assume the tax benefit.