Shaftie with tire rubbing swing arm.

2wheels>4

My Yamaha shaft driven bike is rubbing the tire on the swing arm!! I just noticed this yesterday and I can't imagine it has been going on long. I have put 1500+ mi on this thing since buying it two months ago, and I hope I would have noticed the tire rubbing before now.... LOL

The tire is now worn to the point that the side wall is rubbing. (that's how I noticed the damage, I saw the ring on my side wall and thought, "no fucking way I was getting THAT low and sideways"...) It appears to have eaten off the side of the tread first, then made contact with the sidewall. Sorry, I forgot to snap a pic before I left Dublin last night and I spent the night here in Obetz. Heading back soon to wrench on it and I will post some then.

So, here is my quandary... Assuming that the bike wasn't purchased this way, wasn't wrecked, and the rear tire has not been off the bike since I bought it, how the hell does this happen to a shaft driven bike??? My first two thoughts are damaged (bent) swing arm from a wreck or missing shims from the hub/spindle assembly. However, I think I can rule those out... WTF? Also, no notable play in the wheel bearings or anything else as far as I can tell. Up on center stand the wheel is very rigidly in place when I attempt to twist/torque it side to side. I would expect to feel play in the bearings or hear grinding/chunky noises if they were to blame.

It's an 82 Yamaha Virago XV92 920 v-twin shaftie Here are the microfiche for the swing and hub.

Picture2.png

Picture2.png