Tires/suspension that bad? Or clutch slipping?

AndonD454

Hey guys, a couple times recently my car has lost power briefly and then regained it shortly after in the first couple gears. Car has 88k, so thinking I may need new clutch, but here's the kicker: my tcs light flashes. I was under the impression that the tcs light would only flash if wheels were spinning. Are the tires really spinning or could it be the clutch?

Thanks

What kind of car? Could be the computer closing the throttle (assuming its a drive by wire car) based on some false ABS information. Like a sensor acting up or something, of course it very well could be mechanical but your description lacks much detail.

04 mustang gt, cable throttle as far as I'm aware. Throttle not sticking or anything. No power adders. No lights flashing on the dash, seems to be running and driving perfectly otherwise. Happening mostly in low gears lately and under low rpms, a/c on, etc. I have serious traction issues in the rain, and it will break loose pretty easily in general. Question is mostly to ask whether the TCS light will flash if a worn clutch is slipping, but I may just be slipping on some loose pavement and overthinking it I suppose.

The traction control shouldn't kick on without wheelspin. A slipping clutch would not be spinning the wheels or driveshaft so the traction control should stay off if that was the case. Are your tires excessively worn on the rear? Differing wheel speeds cause the TCS and ABS to work so if there is enough of a difference you have issues, seems like a stretch though. Good luck.

Next time you drive the car, put it in 5th gear and go about 20mph. Leave it in 5th and put your foot to the floor at 20mph. If the mph gradually come up like it should then it's more than likely ok, if the RPM's start to climb quickly or jump, then your clutch is probably slipping....that is a quick and easy test....

Have you tried bleeding the slave? And where is the engagement of the clutch? At the very bottom of the pedal travel right before it hits the floor, or in the middle or somewhere at the top?

Next time you drive the car, put it in 5th gear and go about 20mph. Leave it in 5th and put your foot to the floor at 20mph. If the mph gradually come up like it should then it's more than likely ok, if the RPM's start to climb quickly or jump, then your clutch is probably slipping....that is a quick and easy test....

Have you tried bleeding the slave? And where is the engagement of the clutch? At the very bottom of the pedal travel right before it hits the floor, or in the middle or somewhere at the top?

I'll try the 5th gear test.

Bleeding the slave? Assuming that's a hydraulic cylinder? No hydraulic clutch on my pos. I did try to readjust the clutch the other day as a possible remedy and couldn't get it to pop.. It has a self adjusting cable you can adjust by pulling the pedal completely forward.

The clutch engages in the last 3/4 of the travel, on the top end of it