Did the shop screw up, or is it a fluke?

cstmg8

I had my oil changed about a month ago. A somewhat local shop did the work, but they are not a vendor here. I have always had decent luck with them, but I have not had them do that much work on my car.

So, yesterday I noticed a bit of an oil puddle in my driveway, upon quick inspection, I noticed that my transmission pan etc was covered with oil. Upon further inspection I figured out that my oil filter was very loose, to the point that I could grab it with a couple fingers and easily give it a full turn or more.

Now, I know s*** happens and have no intentions of throwing a fit, but I may not go back in for service there as I have slightly questioned it before. My question to you is, does this just happen occasionally, or was the filter not tightened at the shop? I have never had one become loose to the point that it leaks before, and had this thing vibrated off and bounced down the highway on my trip to Cincinnati yesterday, I would have been pissed.

This is my opinion: Oil change is one of the simplest things you can do to a car, and if you screw it up then you are just not paying attention to your work and its sloppy. I wouldn't take my car back.

FWIW I have never had a oil filter "vibrate" loose.

Ive had a few come loose on personal vehicles before but that was more of a fluke and very heavily modified than anything. Since ive been the guy changing oil before, Ive never had customer car come back with a loose filter though so id say someone screwed up.

There are two things you should never do with an oil filter:

1. Overtighten

2. Put on dry

I think it's common knowledge that you're not supposed to crank an oil filter on more than hand tight. Maybe the tech understated this idea quite a bit, or perhaps it simply just didn't get put on right, like you're assuming.

I think it is also common knowledge not to put a filter on dry as it can cause the o-ring to bind and bunch up on the mating surface and cause seepage. I could see how it would be really easy for an oil tech getting lazy and just zip on your filter real fast without caring to lube the o-ring.

Either way, as long as it's on and not leaking anymore, nothing to really get upset about. Maybe if it caused an oil-out and the motor blew you should get upset, but that's not the case. People make mistakes, if you can't do things yourself, expect to deal with the mistakes of others.

There are two things you should never do with an oil filter:

1. Overtighten

someone might want to tell toyota/scion. i did the first oil change on my FRS and that fucker was on tight. i had get a piece of sand paper and crossfitted that son a' bitch outta there. next step was to drive a screw driver in the side. fuck

someone might want to tell toyota/scion. i did the first oil change on my FRS and that fucker was on tight. i had get a piece of sand paper and crossfitted that son a' bitch outta there. next step was to drive a screw driver in the side. fuck

From the factory they are all on there stupid tight. I am not sure about the process, but i'm guessing they use some sort of machine that tightens them to a specific setting.

People make mistakes, if you can't do things yourself, expect to deal with the mistakes of others.

Totally agree

Seen it happen plenty of times, usually its a limp wristed tech. Working at Dave Gill you could go into history when one came back for that reason and it was always the same person. They are supposed to be tight, and on a lot of cars they are hard to get a good grip on and that's why I have a filter cap wrench to give it that extra half turn when I can't get a good grip. I'm not saying to take a wrench to every one and crank the fucker down, but they need to be properly tight.

The shop you took it to likely has some idiot unexperienced lube tech making $8 an hour and doesn't try very hard. This is precisly what Dave Gill uses as most dealerships, so be prepared to deal with this type shit. Guys making good money get the good jobs that they are qualified for, and low rent inexperienced guys end up doing your oil change, shitty reality of most shops.

The shop you took it to likely has some idiot unexperienced lube tech making $8 an hour and doesn't try very hard. This is precisly what Dave Gill uses as most dealerships, so be prepared to deal with this type shit. Guys making good money get the good jobs that they are qualified for, and low rent inexperienced guys end up doing your oil change, shitty reality of most shops.

Exact reason I do my own, it's too simple and takes 15min on the floor. I bought fumoto valves for our cars so it makes it even easier. 1st mod to every car I buy. Looking to install a lift in the future.

Exact reason I do my own, it's too simple and takes 15min on the floor. I bought fumoto valves for our cars so it makes it even easier. 1st mod to every car I buy. Looking to install a lift in the future.

Holy shit, those are awesome. I just looked those up and never seen one before. Definitely getting 3 for my cars.

I could see how it would be really easy for an oil tech getting lazy and just zip on your filter real fast without caring to lube the o-ring.

Hate it when that happens.

If you were hesitant about past work then this happened I'd do as the others said. Correct it (which you did) but then I wouldn't be going back there.

Accidents DO happen. Some of the shops around town have young techs that are just starting out. Forgot to tighten it or cant get a grip on it.

Thats the chance you take, taking it to a shop.

I wouldn't cross the shop off for one mcsteak..

just my opinion though. Guess it takes a person whos actually been in a shop to understand how it can happen.

I'm sure it was probably an honest mistake, and I'm not looking to raise a ruckus. Hell, I didn't even call them, or mention their name here.

As for taking things to the shop, I do 90% of my own wrenching (last thing being a full suspension upgrade), but never really do oil changes anymore. Seems as though you can get it done with specified materials cheaper than buying them sometimes.

Anyway, just curious how common it was.