College Football Thread v3.0

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing: Ohio State is, in my opinion, about the 4th to 7th best team in the nation. Here are the teams that I would favor over Ohio State right now:

FSU

Alabama

Auburn

Here are the teams that, while not heavily favored, could easily beat Ohio State:

Ok State

Mich State

Mizzou

However, I think that - regardless of what my eye test says about Ohio State and those other teams - I think Ohio State deserves to be ranked either #1 or #2 by virtue of not having a loss. Florida State is the other team that hasn't lost (and the only other team from a major conference), so they get the other spot at the top.

I get SOS arguments, and MOV arguments, and so forth. However, when you start weighing criteria, I think a lot of people overlook the obvious: you start with wins and losses, and the teams that have losses MUST be ranked lower than teams that do not by virtue of their loss.

I don't give a fuck how difficult your schedule was. If you have a loss, then you have a loss, period. Oh what Ohio State gets criticized for scheduling too easy? Well maybe your AD should have been a bit more strategic and not scheduled you so many difficult games.

easy schedule + 0 losses > hard schedule + 1 or more loss every single time

Not losing a game trumps all other criteria, always. It trumps MOV and style points and schedule strength. However, somehow, people do their very best to forget this very basic fact.

I bet you weren't saying that when the Bearcats were 12-0 in 2009.... there was a LOT of bitching that they somehow ended the season #3 (#2 in some polls).... and when it was 8-0, 9-0, 10-0; they were still behind 1 loss teams if memory serves me correctly....

but wait, thats because the Big East was a weak conference, right?

I have to say it again, a lot of what you guys are saying feels a bit hypocritical from what i have gotten ribbed about by the same crowd in the past...

I put on my flame suit and await the forthcoming fire now..

I bet you weren't saying that when the Bearcats were 12-0 in 2009.... there was a LOT of bitching that they somehow ended the season #3 (#2 in some polls).... and when it was 8-0, 9-0, 10-0; they were still behind 1 loss teams if memory serves me correctly....

I have to say it again, a lot of what you guys are saying feels a bit hypocritical from what i have gotten ribbed about by the same crowd in the past...

I don't have a lot of time to respond to this, but weren't the two teams ranked ahead of Cincinnati that year also undefeated?

At the end of the year, yes, but it sure as hell wasnt without a LOT of drama. and Im not necessarily pointing at you; just a generalization.

....then we proceeded to get massacred by a UF team, that I contend would have destroyed just about anyone that game, then came all the "i told you so" 's and the big hurt on BE reputation, lol

Hopefully the D steps up on Saturday

OSU's run D I'm not worried about. MSU doesn't have a 1000 yard receiver like Abracadabra (who would be #1 at OSU in career receiving yards).

LOL@ Ryan Shazier not winning the B10 linebacker of the year award...talk about getting shafted. Kid from Wisconsin won it

That kid is better then Shazier, no shaft.

He ate us up when we played them. His "on paper" stats may not be Shaziers but his on the field playing is better from a pure linebacker perspective.

So while I was in bama I bought a t shirt hat and zip up to "support" my in laws team. Today we drove back to Ohio and I had it on for the drive. Everywhere I went some dipshit would say war eagle to me. I would just laugh and say war eagle back and the look on their face was pure dafuq?

and when it was 8-0, 9-0, 10-0; they were still behind 1 loss teams if memory serves me correctly....

Memory does not serve you correctly. It's very simple to go look at ESPN's website to check rankings for each week going all the way back to 2002.

Once Cincy hit 8-0 in 2009 there was never a 1-loss team ahead of them. USC was ahead of Cincy at 6-1 when Cincy was 7-0 then lost a second game and dropped. Cincy was actually ahead of at least 1 other undefeated team all the way from 8-0 to the end of the regular season. There were 5 undefeated teams at the end of the regular season and Cincinnati was 3rd.

Even at just 6-0 Cincinnati was ahead of then undefeated Iowa from the B1G.

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/sorry-sec-no-way-you-re-one-loss-team-jumps-these-guys-if-they-re-perfect-120113

About time....

But IMO, FSU is better than Ohio State, that is the only team I would say that is better. I honest thing FSU or Ohio State will destroy Mizzou or Auburn if they ended up in the NCG.

That kid is better then Shazier, no shaft.

He ate us up when we played them. His "on paper" stats may not be Shaziers but his on the field playing is better from a pure linebacker perspective.

This. Borland is an animal. He is better than shazier, period. Simple as that. Shazier is good, no doubt

Memory does not serve you correctly. It's very simple to go look at ESPN's website to check rankings for each week going all the way back to 2002.

Once Cincy hit 8-0 in 2009 there was never a 1-loss team ahead of them. USC was ahead of Cincy at 6-1 when Cincy was 7-0 then lost a second game and dropped. Cincy was actually ahead of at least 1 other undefeated team all the way from 8-0 to the end of the regular season. There were 5 undefeated teams at the end of the regular season and Cincinnati was 3rd.

Even at just 6-0 Cincinnati was ahead of then undefeated Iowa from the B1G.

Thanks! I was planning on checking, just was being lazy. I guess my memory of pain and suffering was worse than reality, lol

Thanks! I was planning on checking, just was being lazy. I guess my memory of pain and suffering was worse than reality, lol

Haha... it's understandable. I've actually been tempted to go back and watch the 2006 title game against Florida to see some more Urban stuff but I've done a good job blocking much of that game from my memory so I'm scared.

Lol at comparing Cincy and Osu. Give me a break.

LOL at comparing Cincy and OSU. Give me a break.

He's not saying Cincy is better than OSU he's just comparing the hate because of the so called weak conference that ESPN is so hard up on pointing out when the SEC is finally getting exposed, maybe someone should tell ESPN to stop pushing the media hype for the ranks of those shitty SEC schools and rank the schools that ARE better.

I'm not defending Cincy but they were a beast in 2009, what hurt them was Brian Kelly taking the Notre Dame job and having to leave before their BCS bowl game that year. Remember when Tressel was let go in 2011? the Buckeyes finished 6-7 that year, the same team the following year under Urban Meyer 12-0, that shows that coaching is everything.