College Football Thread v3.0

Dr. Pomade

I love my Buckeyes but our D is not championship material. They aren't bad but they aren't great and several of the teams around us in the rankings would pick our secondary apart. I wish there was a scenario left where we could go to the Rose Bowl. But we are left with two paths...a consolation bowl or a slim chance in the NCG. I guess I prefer the chance at glory.

IMHO the worst bowling we've done in recent history wasn't one of the losses in the NCG. The worst was that consolation bowl against Brady Quinn and a Notre Dame team that looked like a high school squad. They gave us zero competition. The opposite of love isn't hate...it is apathy. Consolation bowls do more erode our image than earning our way to a big-boy game and losing.

I prefer the role of villian for the country. Hate on us all you want for getting to the NCG. Awesome. Cry me a river SEC about how you have to play each other and that is somehow harder. This weekend...we are going to face a challenge every bit as tough as anyone else has had. MSU's D is real. Putting up offensive numbers is our thing. Our D certainly won't save us. We pass this test...we deserve a shot. Then is is up to the same guy who handed us one of those shamings to find a way to keep it from happening again. That is epic, right?

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not saying Cincy is better than OSU he's just comparing the hate because of the so called weak conference that ESPN is so hard up on pointing out when the SEC is finally getting exposed, maybe someone should tell ESPN to stop pushing the media hype for the ranks of those shitty SEC schools and rank the schools that ARE better.

I'm not defending Cincy but they were a beast in 2009, what hurt them was Brian Kelly taking the Notre Dame job and having to leave before their BCS bowl game that year. Remember when Tressel was let go in 2011? the Buckeyes finished 6-7 that year, the same team the following year under Urban Meyer 12-0, that shows that coaching is everything.

<3

You get me.

Then is is up to the same guy who handed us one of those shamings to find a way to keep it from happening again. That is epic, right?

Indeed it is. A Florida fan on reddit yesterday got upset when I threw the Georgia Southern loss at him when he was criticizing Meyer's lack of disciplinary action against the players involved in the fight and dismissed Meyer's overly disciplinary action taken against Hyde to start the season since OSU was only playing Buffalo, SDSU and Cal. I responded by saying it was a good thing OSU wasn't playing Georgia Southern so he threw 41-14 back at me so I pointed out that the devil himself, Urban Meyer, was their coach for that one and it was funny he was using it in the conversation.

Then I thought about exactly what you mention. This all started when Urban and his Gators blew out a fat, lazy and complacent OSU team in the desert. If OSU wins on Saturday then Urban has a chance to undo some of what he started and start something new.

Here is SI's current picks. It is really close to all the projections I've seen this week. If this was reality...How many wins do you think the B1G can get? (we have 7 teams on the list) Bonus question: What about Maryland and Rutgers?

BCS bowls

Date Bowl Location Predicted matchup

Jan. 1 Rose Pasadena, Calif. Michigan State (BCS at-large) vs. Stanford (Pac-12 champ)

Jan. 1 Fiesta Glendale, Ariz. Oklahoma State (Big 12 champ) vs. Northern Illinois (BCS at-large)

Jan. 2 Sugar New Orleans Auburn (SEC champ) vs. UCF (AAC champ)

Jan. 3 Orange Miami Clemson (BCS at-large) vs. Alabama (BCS at-large)

Jan. 6 BCS championship Pasadena, Calif. Florida State (BCS No. 1) vs. Ohio State (BCS No. 2)

Other bowls

Date Bowl Location Predicted matchup

Dec. 21 New Mexico Albuquerque, N.M. Boise State (MWC) vs. Washington State (Pac-12 No. 7)

Dec. 21 Las Vegas Las Vegas Fresno State (MWC No. 1) vs. USC (Pac-12 No. 5)

Dec. 21 Idaho Potato Boise, Idaho Colorado State (MWC) vs. Buffalo (MAC)

Dec. 21 New Orleans New Orleans Louisiana-Lafayette (Sun Belt No. 1) vs. Tulane (C-USA)

Dec. 23 Beef 'O' Brady's St. Petersburg, Fla. Ohio (AAC*) vs. Middle Tennessee State (C-USA)

Dec. 24 Hawaii Honolulu UNLV (MWC) vs. Rice (C-USA)

Dec. 26 Little Caesars Detroit Toledo (MAC) vs. Pittsburgh (Big Ten No. 8*)

Dec. 26 Poinsettia San Diego Utah State (MWC No. 2) vs. Bowling Green (Army*)

Dec. 27 Military Annapolis, Md. Maryland (ACC No. 8) vs. East Carolina (C-USA)

Dec. 27 Texas Houston Minnesota (Big Ten No. 6) vs. Texas Tech (Big 12 No. 6)

Dec. 27 Fight Hunger San Francisco Washington (Pac-12 No. 6) vs. BYU (BYU)

Dec. 28 Pinstripe Bronx, N.Y. Houston (AAC No. 4) vs. Notre Dame (Big 12 No. 7*)

Dec. 28 Belk Charlotte Cincinnati (AAC No. 3) vs. North Carolina (ACC No. 5)

Dec. 28 Russell Athletic Orlando Louisville (AAC No. 2) vs. Duke (ACC No. 3)

Dec. 28 Buffalo Wild Wings Tempe, Ariz. Texas (Big 12 No. 4) vs. Nebraska (Big Ten No. 4)

Dec. 30 Armed Forces Fort Worth, Texas San Diego State (MWC) vs. Navy (Navy)

Dec. 30 Music City Nashville Georgia Tech (ACC No. 6) vs. Ole Miss (SEC)

Dec. 30 Alamo San Antonio Oregon (Pac-12 No. 2) vs. Oklahoma (Big 12 No. 3)

Dec. 30 Holiday San Diego Arizona State (Pac-12 No. 3) vs. Kansas State (Big 12 No. 5)

Dec. 31 AdvoCare Shreveport, La. Boston College (ACC No. 7) vs. Arizona (SEC*)

Dec. 31 Sun El Paso, Texas Virginia Tech (ACC No. 4) vs. UCLA (Pac-12 No. 4)

Dec. 31 Liberty Memphis Marshall (C-USA No. 1) vs. Mississippi State (SEC)

Dec. 31 Chick-fil-A Atlanta Miami (ACC No. 2) vs. South Carolina (SEC)

Jan. 1 Heart of Dallas Dallas Syracuse (Big Ten No. 7*) vs. North Texas (C-USA)

Jan. 1 Gator Jacksonville Michigan (Big Ten No. 5) vs. Georgia (SEC)

Jan. 1 Outback Tampa Iowa (Big Ten No. 3) vs. Texas A&M (SEC)

Jan. 1 Capital One Orlando Missouri (SEC No. 2) vs. Wisconsin (Big Ten No. 2)

Jan. 3 Cotton Arlington, Texas Baylor (Big 12 No. 2) vs. LSU (SEC)

Jan. 4 BBVA Compass Birmingham, Ala. Rutgers (AAC) vs. Vanderbilt (SEC)

Jan. 5 GoDaddy Mobile, Ala. Ball State (MAC) vs. Arkansas State (Sun Belt)

Good ole Nick Satan...

Poor John Cooper...More talent in his tenure went to waste...

Seriously, Cooper was the greatest amasser of talent and the absolute worst big-game/game-time decision coach, ever.

Cooper always had a befuddled look on his face on the sidelines. Big decision to make? Engage dementia look.

We should have won two or three national titles in the Cooper era. Rather, we came out of hoping for just a third win over Michigan in that span. How pathetic is that shit?

The 1998 squad would have straight fucking curb-stomped Tennessee in the title game, I'm certain of it. But, we pulled a USC and ended up choking away the season on an inferior opponent.

Jan. 1 Rose Pasadena, Calif. Michigan State (BCS at-large) vs. Stanford (Pac-12 champ)

Jan. 1 Fiesta Glendale, Ariz. Oklahoma State (Big 12 champ) vs. Northern Illinois (BCS at-large)

Jan. 2 Sugar New Orleans Auburn (SEC champ) vs. UCF (AAC champ)

Jan. 3 Orange Miami Clemson (BCS at-large) vs. Alabama (BCS at-large)

Jan. 6 BCS championship Pasadena, Calif. Florida State (BCS No. 1) vs. Ohio State (BCS No. 2)

This post really made me realize how awful the BCS bowls are going to be this year, other than the Rose Bowl/Natty. Like, complete rape in the Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar.

Dec. 27 Texas Houston Minnesota (Big Ten No. 6) vs. Texas Tech (Big 12 No. 6)

Dec. 28 Buffalo Wild Wings Tempe, Ariz. Texas (Big 12 No. 4) vs. Nebraska (Big Ten No. 4)

Jan. 1 Gator Jacksonville Michigan (Big Ten No. 5) vs. Georgia (SEC)

Jan. 1 Outback Tampa Iowa (Big Ten No. 3) vs. Texas A&M (SEC)

Jan. 1 Capital One Orlando Missouri (SEC No. 2) vs. Wisconsin (Big Ten No. 2)

B1G bowls don't look so good... I'd take Sparty over Stanford all day, but everything else I dunno. Michigan only wins if they play like they did Saturday, and only because Georgia has had the worst injury luck in the history of ever. Minnesota might beat Texas Tech, but these other games are almost all but guaranteed B1G losses.

I disagree ^^

Iowa is a solid squad, but they are fucked against T A&M. Michigan can beat Georgia, they usually play pretty good in bowl games. They should have won against a far superior South Carolina last year.

Wisconsin and Missouri will actually be a pretty good game, and think it can go either way. Wisky basically beat Airzona State, who is a pretty damn good team. Keep in mind both teams play in a weak conference (SEC East is no better than the Big10).

Minnesota can definitely beat Texas Tech and Nebraska can hold their own vs. Texas. I feel like they fell into a decent season (Texas).

We will see how Michigan State will do this weekend when they play OSU.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if Duke beats Florida State. I mean, I would, because it would be likely one of the largest upsets in BCS history, but at the same time it would be one of those cases that, in retrospect, we can see happening: Florida State is being told by everyone they have won the game already, their QB might be charged with a felony and so his head may be elsewhere, Duke doesn't really have anything to lose, Duke is a bunch of smart kids that won't buy into hype, etc.

But let's say Duke is Duke and Florida State rolls them. I'm okay with that. If Ohio State beats Michigan State, I guarantee you that they will be more battle-tested that Florida State. Florida State could freak out once they get jacked in the jaw really good by a team with talent to match theirs.

Florida State could freak out once they get jacked in the jaw really good by a team with talent to match theirs.

Good point. FSU has been rolling teams all year, perhaps they won't react well to getting scored on. (And, if the play us, they WILL get scored on)

Good point. FSU has been rolling teams all year, perhaps they won't react well to getting scored on. (And, if the play us, they WILL get scored on)

I hate to play devils advocate...or historian...But didn't "we" (me and OSU fans) predict the same thing against Urbans Florida team in the NCG or years past? With our Hesiman QB and very potent offense. I believe we scored a whooping single offensive touchdown...Similarities maybe?

That reasonably could happen again, and or it could go the way as mentioned by you and the Doctor.

I hate to play devils advocate...or historian...But didn't "we" (me and OSU fans) predict the same thing against Urbans Florida team in the NCG or years past? With our Hesiman QB and very potent offense. I believe we scored a whooping single offensive touchdown...Similarities maybe?

That reasonably could happen again, and or it could go the way as mentioned by you and the Doctor.

If everything goes as planned and we play FSU, I hope that FSU is as heavily favored as possible. I hope everyone on ESPN, and every "expert" is predicting a 3+ touchdown victory. I hope we are double digit underdogs. I hope the entire world is against us. This will only add fuel for us and Meyer. I think Meyer loves being the underdog, and he will use every ounce of it to motivate his guys. I don't think FSU or their fans will know what is coming to them (similar to us in 06). I'll take Urban prepping his team for a month over Jimbo prepping his team for a month any day as well.

I can see Iowa beating A&M. Contain the headless chicken and his bombs down the field and they are a very exposed and vulnerable team. Give Johnny football some time he will find a way to make a play. Lots of pressure on him is key to stopping them and Iowa did a great job putting coverage on Nebraska turkey day.

Oregon's QB Marcus Mariotta announces he will be coming back to school next year. Oregon automatically starts season #2 in the country

LOL - I said to myself as soon as I heard this news: "in other news, Oregon will be a media darling again next year only to fall flat on their ducky faces in a high profile game."

I hope Braxton miller dismantle their defense and drop 50+. Both Nebraska and Indiana scored 28 on them. Ohio State has a much better offense. Nebraska could have beaten MSU if they didn't commit 5 turnovers. Playing indoors will definitely help the passing game out. I am going to say that Heuerman is going to have a field day.