Subaru buying experience with two Columbus dealers

Mojoe

We had been looking at the Subaru XV to consolidate the use of our jeep and camery that my wife drives. The Jeep was a 2010 Wrangler sport with the mountain package, in a burnt orange color, 59,xxx miles. The Camery was a 2006 LE with some dings and 120,xxx miles.

We had priced out trade in value and even entertained selling them ourselves. We knew there were wear on things like the tires and figures a hit for that. We were looking for $18,000 on the jeep, wanting $20k though. Less than compareable Jeeps with more miles are listed all day for $23k+, so there was room for the dealer to resell and profit. The camery we were hoping for $5k. We saw them going for almost $7k and even more.

All and all we wanted $21000 in trade in, and basically swap cars with a little out of pocket, up to $5000 was our limit. I had called KEMBA and been preapproved for the small loan as the first joint loan for my wife and I.

We went to Byers Subaru and right from the start they were dragging their feet. It's just a slow process. They were asking closing questions before getting the car we wanted, the way we wanted. Telling us it would cost extra to have it shipped to them from 200 miles away. Right away I was feeling run around. Our sales guy, zach, had to keep getting the "ok" from the manager on things. Every time he would come back he was trying to sell us whatever BS the manager had just told him to. They wanted to run our credit again and still send us through KEMBA, claiming they can get a better rate. IF we even finance anything. I knew they wanted to make money on the on the back of the loan and finally I told him to stop getting ahead of himself and see what they have for trade in value. They come back with $15000 on the jeep and $4000 on the Camery. So, $19,000 in trade. Honestly, we weren't all that upset with that. But the manager kept telling him to push the financing and the value of the jeep didn't sit right with me. Zach, was acting uncomfortable and selling too desperately. I asked for the keys back to our cars. They said they couldn't find one of the jeeps spare keys. Now your incompetent and pushy, trying to keep us there. I said call me when you find them. We were hungry and left to eat. All in all, they wanted $4000 on top of our trade in and they were selling too hard.

We drove to Hatfield on Georgesville rd. this is where I bought my specB and have had all major service done on my legacy's since 2008. They did a really good job then, but are on the far side of town from us. I linked back up with Lori Glick who took care of me before. I'm very straight forward and know what I want before I go most places. I told her and she went and go it. They appraised the jeep at $19000 and the camery at $4000. Now we are talking! And the wife and her got along great. We even upgraded a few things we weren't looking to get on the car, but we were so pleased with how everything went, we didn't mind. My wife loves the new car and we are glad we drove a little farther to talk to Hatfield. Lori was a rock star and NO BS on the deal. We paid cash for the couple extras and were on outlet way.

Today I stopped in to Byers to get the jeep key. I told zach how unhappy we were with their approach. His reply was "if you had given me a chance I could have done better for you on financing". WTF part of we didn't finance did you not understand!! Byers was so hung up on making a huge profit on the jeep and money on the back of financing, they lost a customer.

Cliffs:

Trading two cars for a new one.

Byers on billingsly has shit service and tried racking us over the coals. The lost one of the keys to ourtrfade in.

Went to Hatfield they gave us $4000 more and were awesome to deal with.

Went to get key from Byers and they are retarded telling me they would have saved us money had we financed with them on a cash deal.

Happy wife= sexy time.

Edited by Mojoe
typing on phone owns me

I'm happy to not be working at Byers anymore, their management is pathetic. Sounds like you have a fine example of just how sad things can get when you get some guy who likely hasen't been selling cars for very long, and if it's who I think it is (didn't know any of the sales guys as they change too often) he wasn't too bright anyway. Some of their "sales guys" do more chasing cars and walking around then anything.

Congrats on your new car.

Went through the 'give me my keys back' bullshit with a dealer a few months ago when they offered us $7k less on my wife's Pilot than anyone else had offered. Same tactics, he continued to insistently question my plans on financing the car that we were looking at, when I told him that I wasn't shopping for financing or a specific payment, he did not know how to respond.

POS salesman refused to give me the keys back until I talked to a manager. After 10 minutes of asking for my keys politely, I grabbed the keys out of his hand and walked out. Wasn't the same dealer that you were dealing with but this must be a common tactic.

Purchased a new Subaru XV for the wife the next day from another dealer. We've had it for about 5 months, happy with it so far. Wish it had a bit more power but that's not what we bought it for.

Glad to see another wife in an XV. Also good to hear I'm not off base with how Byers treats people, to include employees. It's like they want to play a car buying game. Who does that work on anymore?

We know exactly what we wanted and the cost. We knew what we had in value and were ready for, maybe some out of pocket. How do you blow that deal?

My step dad also had a similar experience with Byers and ended up buying from Hatfield.

In a nutshell he went to Byers and told them he was ready to buy a new Forester that day, but wanted a specific color. Salesman told him he would look into it and get back to him. They waited a week with no phone call.

He called Hatfield; salesman got back to him the same day with what he was looking for in Cincinnati. Bought the car with his credit car, sight unseen over the phone. Car was delivered the next day.

Two days after the car was delivered he got a call from the salesman from Byers to say that he was still looking.

The misplaced keys trick is f'ing BS. I got hit with that trick at Germain Toyota once. Since then I always take the spare key in and make sure I tell the sales guy I still have the one on my keyring. Also watch for the same trick where they move some cars around and yours in blocked in for a bit.

Byers Subaru pissed me off when I wanted to test drive a WRX. Wasn't even an STI, they tell me they never let the turbo cars off the lot, too much power. OK, whatevs.

But, seriously, I'm surprised to hear this. Never met Zach, but this is the first negative thing I heard about him.

I tried to talk to him about it today when I picked up the key. I like to try and improve or help if I can. That's when he gave me the shit story about he would have saved me more, had we financed. Again, we paid cash for the very little over we had from the trade in's. How about you don't play people stupid for $4000 and you would have had a sale. He cut me off with a big cheesy handshake and told me to have a nice day, and walked off.

Here's a pic

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/FD40EBA3-695A-4EF4-A190-D20DCCD780B9_zps1tqwcjsv.jpg

Went through the 'give me my keys back' bullshit with a dealer a few months ago....POS salesman refused to give me the keys back until I talked to a manager. After 10 minutes of asking for my keys politely, I grabbed the keys out of his hand and walked out.

Dealers still do this crap? I would have said 1987 wants their sales techniques back and I want my keys now. Goodbye.

I've bought my last several cars via phone/internet and went into the dealer only to sign. I'll never go in to negotiate any more. Sales people there are no longer needed.

2003 Accord - phone only

2006 GXP - phone only

2007 Entourage - Internet/phone

2008 MS3 - Internet with John Haskins from Byers (great guy)

2010 Fusion - Internet/Phone

Thanks! We really like it. We have been looking at them for month's and knew exactly what features and package we wanted. We figured buying at the end of the month, and the end of the year should get us some savings on a 2013. It did, once we got to the right dealer. This is a 2013. Edited by Mojoe