College Football Thread v4.0

bicranium

Pretty badass tweet from Herman after the in-home tonight...

Tom Herman ‏@CoachTomHerman 24m

Flag FIRMLY planted in Fort Worth. No worries. Just smiles. #ProudBuckeye #Dream14 #NotOnMyWatch

Still never quite sure with Knox but that's awesome.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Praise raptor jesus...

http://i.imgur.com/o1ADhSf.png

Ask any UNC fan and they will confirm that Withers ran a "let's wait around and see if the opposing qb accidentally throws the ball to us". Reading up on Ash it looks like they will run a zone scheme and it will probably look like an old Dantonio defense, which Fickell should be comfortable with.

The dollar amount worries me because it's less than Fickell's made the last 2 seasons and it would be weird for a guy to come in and be in charge of the defense for less. Hopefully, based on performance, Luke is below that now at around $500k.

And true enough with regards to Bert...lol. Wanted out so bad he took a pay cut.

The dollar amount worries me because it's less than Fickell's made the last 2 seasons and it would be weird for a guy to come in and be in charge of the defense for less. Hopefully, based on performance, Luke is below that now at around $500k.

And true enough with regards to Bert...lol. Wanted out so bad he took a pay cut.

I hear you, but think about it. Luke is, by all accounts, a great mind when it comes to the line and, to a lesser extent, the backers. Withers was running the DB's last year, and managed to turn a sure fire first round pick (Roby) into a punching bag all season long. What we NEEDED was someone to come in, work with Luke to shore up that backfield. Not only did we get that, but we got a guy who, according to everyone I'm hearing, is a freaking genius and a monster recruiter. None of this is bad. I hope he rubs off on Luke.

I hear you, but think about it. Luke is, by all accounts, a great mind when it comes to the line and, to a lesser extent, the backers. Withers was running the DB's last year, and managed to turn a sure fire first round pick (Roby) into a punching bag all season long. What we NEEDED was someone to come in, work with Luke to shore up that backfield. Not only did we get that, but we got a guy who, according to everyone I'm hearing, is a freaking genius and a monster recruiter. None of this is bad. I hope he rubs off on Luke.

Why would you want him to rub one off on Luke?...dude!

All BS aside, I like the direction that this is going. Aggressive, fast defense. With coaches that know how to coach the talent properly.

Ash said it would be a "staff" defense. I think you are gonna see Fickell on the field and Ash in the box. Fickell will coach the players and Ash will call the adjustments. You could see Fickell in charge of the game planning (which just about every game analysis this year gave credit to the game plan for the D) and Ash in charge in game. Makes sense

Ash took a $30k pay cut from his salary at Arkansas just looking at base numbers. Will make $520k for 2014. Seems a little odd to me.

I'd take a paycut to leave a mediocre team for a mediocre defense. He can turn it around in one year and give myself a better chance of becoming a head coach somewhere. Bonus, he will have Meyer attached to his resume.

Meyer > Beliema

I'd take a paycut to leave a mediocre team for a mediocre defense. He can turn it around in one year and give myself a better chance of becoming a head coach somewhere. Bonus, he will have Meyer attached to his resume.

Meyer > Beliema

Plus (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't looked at the contracts) don't the coaches receive pretty sizeable bonuses for certain number of wins, conference championships, bowl wins, etc? Ohio State has much better odds of any of those than Arkansas...

So this Knox kid is coming to Columbus?

Meyer, Herman and Warinner were with him the other night. Knox had supposedly scheduled visits to Texas (this weekend) and UCLA (next weekend) but tweeted last night that he'd be staying home this weekend so the Texas visit seems to be off. Recruiting people seem to think he'll skip the UCLA visit as well.

He was pretty annoyed the other night after Herman tweeted the whole "#NotOnMyWatch" thing after the visit because different recruiting sites (if I had to guess it was Bill "50/50" Kurelic from 247) were trying to get updates from him. Kurelic is notorious for calling kids dozens of times a day to try and get a story. Quite a tool.

Another OL looking around, this time Jamarco Jones. He apparently tweeted that he should've waited and he made a mistake, now he is scheduled to visit Michigan State. I hate the recruiting world, kids shouldn't make a decision until they are 100% sure. The whole playing the recruiting game is dumb.

Another OL looking around, this time Jamarco Jones. He apparently tweeted that he should've waited and he made a mistake, now he is scheduled to visit Michigan State. I hate the recruiting world, kids shouldn't make a decision until they are 100% sure. The whole playing the recruiting game is dumb.

Vrabel was very close to Jones and his family so that's part of it. He was tweeting back and forth with Kyle Berger tonight. Some MSU guys think now that the visit is public knowledge it may not happen.

I hope he is solid, I just hate when a kid flips so late in the process. It's one thing to flip in the summer/fall, not less than a month away from NSD. You have had 4 years to figure out what college you want to go to, make a decision and stick with it.

Time for thread v5.0! Lol

I hope he is solid, I just hate when a kid flips so late in the process. It's one thing to flip in the summer/fall, not less than a month away from NSD. You have had 4 years to figure out what college you want to go to, make a decision and stick with it.

It's all about comfort and relationships and he and his family were real tight with Vrabel. Vrabel leaves and Jones starts thinking about options, he's got 2 friends who are freshmen on the MSU hoops team, etc., etc. Worst thing in all of this is that Urban already used his in-home (with Vrabel and probably Warinner). MSU will be in to see Jones this week then we'll see what happens next weekend.

On another note, Knox's UCLA visit is off according to him on Twitter. So that looks done. Hopefully Jones ends similarly.

MSU's in-home is Wednesday. OSU has a little trick up their sleeve to try and stop the official visit this weekend despite Meyer's in-home already having been used. But yeah, if the visit happens people are saying he'll end up at MSU.

I had kinda forgotten that OSU was doing their permanent lights and new seats for THIS season. Article on that...

http://thelantern.com/2014/01/9m-ohio-stadium-project-add-seats-lights/

$9m for 2,500 more seats and permanent lights. I hope VT, Cincy and Rutgers are all night games.

LOL I hate the politics and behind the scene shit in regards to college football. Thankfully the on the field product is still decent or I would just stop following it all together.

"Bama has two guys on roster that are not starters but have degrees in hand - Anthony Orr and Wilson Love. Given they have their degrees, I would expect their careers may be over. "

^^ Basically you're getting cut!

As for Jones flipping because Vrabel left, I call bullshit. The fact is, he wouldn't even be his position coach, this to me just sounds like a kid who is given the chance to make adult decisions and has failed at doing so. See ya later is what I say and on to the next one.