College Football Thread v4.0

bicranium

People questioning the 4th and 1 play aren't very bright. Braxton scored the TD to tie the game off that same play and gained another 5-6 yards on it on the drive to take the lead. Heuerman gets his block on Allen there and Braxton may have been gone. I question the offensive gameplan coming in and the play call before the 4th down. They split Hyde out wide early on and it resulted in nothing. All that did was take a huge running threat and a solid blocker out of the backfield on what were obvious QB draws. Had any of them been successful they probably eventually throw off of it but they were never successful. Then on 3rd and 3... they went back to it. The obvious play is just to run Hyde twice up the gut. You probably get it on 3rd down and if you don't you do like you've done going all the way back to last season and go tempo and run it again. Hyde didn't have a carry for less than 2 yards all night. 2 + 2 = first down.

Which is why if I see Hyde out wide once on January 3rd my TV is going off.

Like I posted earlier, Hyde's YaC is in the 4-5yd range. Even if he's hit 2 yards behind the LoS on that 4th he's still more statistically likely to gain the first down.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ironic that Ohio State was kept out of the first and last BCS title game because of a loss to Michigan State.

Also, I don't recall the standings from 1998, but wouldn't it be awesome if, in 1998, Ohio State would have played Florida State?

(Ohio State would have rolled either Tennessee or FSU in 1998 -I'm convinced of it.)

Also, is this our 10th BCS appearance? I'm going on memory here:

1998 - tAm - win

2002 - Miami - win

2003 - Kansas State - win

2005 - Notre Dame - win

2006 - Florida - loss

2007 - LSU - loss

2008 - Texas - loss

2009 - Oregon - win

2010 - Arkansas - win

2013 - Clemson

That is correct 10 out of 15 is not bad at all. Would have been 11 had OSU been bowl eligible last year.

Heisman invites released, 3 out of 6 from the SEC lol

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/heisman-finalists-announced-jameis-winston-johnny-manziel-jordan-lynch-aj-mccarron-tre-mason-andre-williams-120913

I always forget that fsu was pre BCS.

Funny story. My dad was so pissed at ABC during that FSU game for their lack of showing the down and distance that he bombarded the local station and the national offices with complaint calls and letters for weeks after the game. LOL

It's ironic that Ohio State was kept out of the first and last BCS title game because of a loss to Michigan State.

Also, I don't recall the standings from 1998, but wouldn't it be awesome if, in 1998, Ohio State would have played Florida State?

(Ohio State would have rolled either Tennessee or FSU in 1998 -I'm convinced of it.)

Yeah, don't remind me of that season. I was at the game with my dad and it was heart breaking. And I agree, that year we would have rolled FSU or Tenessee. We would have won another NC if we beat TTUN in 1996 as well. We had pretty good defenses back then too. Maybe we should go and get Fred Pagac back as our DC, that just a thought.

Also, is this our 10th BCS appearance? I'm going on memory here:

1998 - tAm - win

2002 - Miami - win

2003 - Kansas State - win

2005 - Notre Dame - win

2006 - Florida - loss

2007 - LSU - loss

2008 - Texas - loss

2009 - Oregon - win

2010 - Arkansas - win

2013 - Clemson

The only BCS appearances that matter are 2002, 2006, and 2007. The rest are just exhibitions.

Bunch of interesting parallels between the first and last seasons of the BCS from reddit...

• Florida State plays an SEC team in the title game. (In 98-99, they lost.)
  • Ohio State fails to reach title game due to a loss to Michigan State, the only loss of the season. Ohio State scores 24 points vs. MSU.
  • 1998 Heisman winner Ricky Williams was drafted in the eighth round of the MLB draft out of high school. 2013 Heisman favorite Jameis Winston was drafted in the fifteenth round.
  • After blowing out New Mexico State in Week 1, Texas loses their next two games, giving up at least 40 points to each opponent. They then win their next six before losing again. (!!)
  • With six games remaining in the season, Texas Tech is undefeated. They then lose five of those last six.
  • Rutgers loses 6 games, Temple wins 2. These are the only two 1998 Big East schools who remain in the 2013 AAC.
  • Arizona beats a highly-ranked Oregon team by more than 3 touchdowns, but beats a bad Cal team by less than 1 TD.
  • Nebraska posts a 5-3 conference record (tied with one other team) after a Week 1 injury eventually sidelines the starting QB, who is replaced by a redshirt freshman. Contingency parallel: If Nebraska wins its bowl game, both teams will have finished 9-4 with the lone OOC loss to a Pac-10/12 team.
  • Miami (FL) goes loses 3 regular season games to Florida State, Virginia Tech and a basketball school.
  • AP Preseason #1 team does not make title game. Instead plays Big 12 team in the Sugar Bowl. (In 98-99, the Big 12 team lost.)
  • A team from the state of Oregon plays a bowl game in Hawaii.
  • After losing 8 the previous season, an Ohio MAC team fails to win a single game.
  • Wake Forest goes 3-8 against IA/FBS opponents. Their last six games are a win over Maryland followed by five losses.
  • A California team wins the Pac-10/12 by beating an Arizona team by 24 points.
  • A MAC team loses just once in the regular season, to Bowling Green by 20 or more points.
  • Capital One/Citrus Bowl: A 3-loss team who lost to Ohio State vs. a 2-loss team who lost to Tennessee. (Pre-bowl records. In 98-99, the 3-loss Big Ten team won.)
  • A coach born in North Carolina takes his "Tech" school to the Music City Bowl. (In 98-99, that coach won.)

The ACC might be more of a joke than the B10 but FSU has rolled everyone of those teams including Clemson. FSU will roll Auburn. Auburn has been nothing butt lucky. They should have lost to UGA and Alabama, they are pretty much a 3 loss team IMO. Auburn will get exposed against FSU, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a worse beating than they put on Clemson. I am really looking forward to FSU knocking these overrated SEC teams off of their high horse.

The best thing to happen is SEC loose, you're right about that.

FSU hanging a blow out would be swell. Although pundits will certainly measure some means of acclaiming how great Auburn is (and the SEC)...

Tallahassee got their boosters back on blast, they were tired of being irreverent for a decade and had to bolster their investments. Their recruiting is back on track that is unfortunate for the rest of us, however good to help balance the south.

Urban is recruiting just fine, and by the numbers he has 17 commits and is sitting in 6th, he will be JUST fine.

Odds on the defense being better next year? Survey says, guaranteed.

No hyde is blow but E-Z-E will be good, very good.

Florida State's defense is straight legit. I've been saying that for weeks now. They are going to fucking hammer Auburn and I am going to laugh hysterically when they do. Fuck off Auburn and fuck off SEC.

I hope FSU hangs 60-70pts on Auburn. If Auburn wins I really don't wanna here anymore SEC bullshit from any of the media, mainly ESPN. They'll brag about how the SEC dominated the BCS National Championship game era and will dominate the playoff system when they get all four spots. Most likely the four spots will go to the 4 major conference champions...lets hope.

I think most years, at least at the start, we'll be seeing 2 SEC teams and 2 other conference champions.

they should keep the 4 major bowl games(Rose, Sugar, Orange and Fiesta) and advance the winners into the playoff, that way each conference has a chance, the at large teams still have a chance. Plus the Rose Bowl can go back to the traditional PAC 12 vs B1G. Everyone wins! the conference's, T.V. networks and us the fans

Here's how the system is going to work...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

Also, with Bowling Green's HC taking the Wake Forest job Urban is pushing hard for Fickell to get that job. I wonder why...lol.

Have a feeling, unless Urban can sell them on Fickell, that they'll take Durkin from Florida. If they do take Fickell though, Durkin is a solid candidate to replace Fickell at OSU if Urban can't get some really big name (ie. Chavis).

I hope FSU hangs 60-70pts on Auburn. If Auburn wins I really don't wanna here anymore SEC bullshit from any of the media, mainly ESPN. They'll brag about how the SEC dominated the BCS National Championship game era and will dominate the playoff system when they get all four spots. Most likely the four spots will go to the 4 major conference champions...lets hope.

This! I hope SEC drops every bowl game. Bama lose to OU, Mizzou lose to OSU, LSU lose to Iowa, SC loses to Wisconsin, UGA lose to Nebraska, TA&M lose to Duke, Vandy lose to UH. The only over matched gamese I think that will be a long shot is OU beating Bama. The rest should be evenly matched, well if Nebraska plays well the entire game, they can beat UGA.

Here's how the system is going to work...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

would be cool if they would award home field advantage to the 2 teams with the best records, that would make weather an advantage.

I still wanna see an SEC team play in the cold, they always say come down to the south and play in the heat, I bet your teams can't do it...have you been to Ohio? its hot as fuck in late spring/summer/fall and ball shriveling cold in late fall/winter. We get all the elements.