College Football Thread v4.0

bicranium

I really don't understand why Fickell gets all the blame? He is a CO-coordinator, meaning there is another guy to blame as well. Like it or not he held this program together for a year, yeah they weren't very good but not many kids transfered out when they could have easily done so. He helped land recruits, in fact he is one of the top recruiters from all reports.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand why Fickell gets all the blame? He is a CO-coordinator, meaning there is another guy to blame as well. Like it or not he held this program together for a year, yeah they weren't very good but not many kids transfered out when they could have easily done so. He helped land recruits, in fact he is one of the top recruiters from all reports.

FIRE SOMEONE DAMMIT

I agree that some changes need to be made, the defense the last 2-3 years has been some of the worst I have ever watched play at Ohio State. I just don't think you can pin all the blame on 1 single guy. I think it's a combination of coaches and players who just aren't as good as they were billed to be, i.e Pittsburgh Brown

I agree that some changes need to be made, the defense the last 2-3 years has been some of the worst I have ever watched play at Ohio State. I just don't think you can pin all the blame on 1 single guy. I think it's a combination of coaches and players who just aren't as good as they were billed to be, i.e Pittsburgh Brown

This.

I honestly don't know that Fickell wants to BE a head coach. He is an OUTSTANDING position coach. If he made the jump to the NFL as a D-Line coach, he would be HIGHLY sought after. Whatever happens, when he leaves, I REALLY hope that Vrabel does not leave with him, because that guy....

I would almost assume that if Fickell leaves, Vrabel goes with him. One of the main reasons for Vrabel being here in the first place is Fickell haha. I think he would take Vrabel with him and make him a d-line coach or maybe even a coordinator. I like what Vrabel has done while here and I think the kids really like playing for him, plus flashing Super Bowl rings to recruits never hurts.

Withers takes plenty of heat from people who actually pay attention. He is the co-DC and the safeties coach. The safeties were the biggest problem on the defense followed closely by the lack of LB development which is Fickell's area. Fickell calls the defense though. I think Withers' title is kinda like Fickell's was under Heacock. Just a title. Dream scenario was that Withers would take the FAU job and Fickell takes the BGSU job but FAU has honed in on RB coach Stan Drayton and I don't think BGSU is dumb enough to buy what Urban's selling with regards to Fickell so they'll probably take the guy who we'd love to have replace Fickell in Florida's DC DJ Durkin.

I can't see Urban straight firing Fickell so he needs to go somewhere but now people are saying maybe he doesn't aspire to be a HC. Fuck me.

Vrabel could very well go as Fickell's DC if he does end up somewhere like EMU, FAU or BGSU but there's plenty of logic that says Vrabel would stay in Columbus as the DL coach and maybe get a co-DC title for himself instead of being a DC at some lowly program that he has no ties to. I've read people referring to Vrabel as an OSU lifer so that would be great because I remember watching him in the NFL and commentators talking about how he was going to be a great coach someday and I figured he'd end up doing so in the NFL or something but if OSU can hang onto him for a long time that would be awesome.

Withers takes plenty of heat from people who actually pay attention. He is the co-DC and the safeties coach. The safeties were the biggest problem on the defense followed closely by the lack of LB development which is Fickell's area.
yeah but I give Fickell the benefit when it comes to LBs. Many NFL draft picks and multiple first round picks have developed under him.
Fickell calls the defense though. I think Withers' title is kinda like Fickell's was under Heacock. Just a title.
Withers helps game plan and calls the coverages. He is the one in the press box on game day. Withers has like 8 years experience as a sole DC, so I think he has a lot more responsibility than many think

yeah but I give Fickell the benefit when it comes to LBs. Many NFL draft picks and multiple first round picks have developed under him.

Not since he's taken over as interim HC then DC. Shazier might end up a 1st rounder based on some solid production and the crazy combine numbers he'll put up but I don't think anyone feels he's fundamentally sound. The last truly fundamentally sound LB OSU has had was probably Ross Homan.

I think Luke might just be spread too thin. Obviously he proved he could develop LB's when he was the LB coach and really nothing else but I don't know if he can juggle multiple responsibilities too well.

Withers is that guys name and he takes absolutely no heat from anyone, it all gets pushed to Fickell. I am pretty sure Fickell/Vrabel are in charge of the line and linebackers from what I have read. Maybe Zack or LJ will chime in to confirm/correct that

Fickle gets paid 600k and Withers get paid 580k as an assistant DC. Those are pretty high salaries. It's not ohio state isn't getting the talent in the DBs and LBs position. They are plenty talented. It just seems that they have trouble playing the zone. I really don't know if it's a coaching problem or an execution problem. It just seems that the safeties always put them selves in a bad position and slow to recognize the play, pretty much what inexperienced secondaries will run into. But pitt brown and CJ Barrnett are both 5th year seniors and that really isn't an excuse. They both get lost in the middle of the play and blow a coverage, especially pitt brown. Pitt brown and CJ barnett have blown countless coverage this season. Those 2 were pretty much responsible for giving up 21 points in last Sat's game against MSU. If the secondaries doesn't step it up during the Clemson game, I think Fickle will be gone. If not, then withers will be calling the defense next year.

It just seems that they have trouble playing the zone. I really don't know if it's a coaching problem or an execution problem. It just seems that the safeties always put them selves in a bad position and slow to recognize the play, pretty much what inexperienced secondaries will run into.

The scary thing is that some of these guys, 4th and 5th year guys, were getting lost in MAN coverage on Saturday. They were just letting their guys go free in man coverage with no acceptable explanation. It's poor discipline and you have to think that goes back to coaching.

People who watched UNC when Withers was in charge there (as the DC then eventually the interim HC just like Fickell here) said this mirrors a lot of what happened with their defense. They had plenty of guys on their defenses drafted under Butch Davis and Everett Withers but they never quite put it all together on the field.

So the issue may be Withers? How many people feel Urban just pieced together a staff quickly for the sake of having a staff in place to hit the recruiting trail? Meaning that a lot of these guys aren't really Urban type guys. I think Fickell was kept as a favor for him basically taking one for the team the previous year, now it's a losing situation. If he's the problem and you fire him you'll have people screaming about how he was an OSU guy. If you keep him and the problem persist, well then you have people crying cause it's his fault.

If guys haven't figured out how to play their role in the defense by their 4th and 5th year, is that really a coaching error or a player issue?

If guys haven't figured out how to play their role in the defense by their 4th and 5th year, is that really a coaching error or a player issue?

Coaching. It's the coaches job to either make sure they get it or bench them for someone that does. Either way, that point comes down to coaching decisions.

I doubt we get anyone back that fans "want", it'll most likely be some guy that no one has on their radar. The hot job is going to be an assistant for Saban in Texas once he goes there. People thought he was scary recruiting at Alabama, imagine that guy with the talent of Texas at his disposal plus the lure or bringing kids to Texas. They will instantly become a threat year in and year out. The one good thing is I feel the SEC is on the decline, so maybe the media will stop sucking them off.

I doubt we get anyone back that fans "want", it'll most likely be some guy that no one has on their radar. The hot job is going to be an assistant for Saban in Texas once he goes there. People thought he was scary recruiting at Alabama, imagine that guy with the talent of Texas at his disposal plus the lure or bringing kids to Texas. They will instantly become a threat year in and year out. The one good thing is I feel the SEC is on the decline, so maybe the media will stop sucking them off.

Would love to see Alabama have a losing season next year assuming Saban leaves. For ~10million per year he'd be stupid not to take the Texas job

So the issue may be Withers? How many people feel Urban just pieced together a staff quickly for the sake of having a staff in place to hit the recruiting trail? Meaning that a lot of these guys aren't really Urban type guys. I think Fickell was kept as a favor for him basically taking one for the team the previous year, now it's a losing situation. If he's the problem and you fire him you'll have people screaming about how he was an OSU guy. If you keep him and the problem persist, well then you have people crying cause it's his fault.

some of the players probably get confused between zone coverage vs. man coverage, if that's the case its a mixture of both the coaching and the player(s)

Edited by SinisterSS

Would love to see Alabama have a losing season next year assuming Saban leaves. For ~10million per year he'd be stupid not to take the Texas job

I just read that Bama offered him an extension and it's been sitting on his desk since Friday. They are saying he has been out recruiting for Bama, which is true cause he was at Glenville last night trying to poach 3 players who many feel are Buckeyes (1 is actually committed already to OSU). The longer the extension goes unsigned, the better the odds of him leaving for Texas become. I think he's gone regardless, look at his track record of leaving, it's worse than Urbans :lolguy:

There is going to be sandy vagina and butthurt of epic proportions if Saban leaves for Texas. They erected a fucking statue of him at Alabama, LOL. I can't wait to watch the meltdown happen.

BTW, I think Saban takes that job, and I wouldn't blame him in the least. Texas is the best job arguably in all of sports, not just CFB.

There is going to be sandy vagina and butthurt of epic proportions if Saban leaves for Texas. They erected a fucking statue of him at Alabama, LOL. I can't wait to watch the meltdown happen.

BTW, I think Saban takes that job, and I wouldn't blame him in the least. Texas is the best job arguably in all of sports, not just CFB.

The amount of cousin killing, husband and wife, will be epic!

Texas is big time when it comes to the coaching job. I'd have to agree that it would be either the top or right there at the top without question. The amount of money in their facilities is silly and the money available to put into it is amazing too. They also don't have to fund every other sport at the University through Football. The baseball team does ok too.

Saban's not exactly a young guy. I don't think it's such a sure thing that he'd go to Texas. Bama can match $10m/yr. Just a couple weeks ago on 60 Minutes Bama's president or AD mentioned how Saban was the best investment they've ever made. They're not going to let him go without a fight.

I saw on Reddit that, according to last year's numbers at a "meh" Texas program, they could offer Saban up to $32 million and still break even, and that number doesn't begin to factor in the amount of money he'd be able to bring to the school. Plus, he's said Texas is a (the only?) job he'd leave Alabama for during this season. I'd like it to happen only because the Big 12 is a hell of a lot easier to have plastered all over my television than the entitled SEC asshats.