College Football Thread v4.0

bicranium

Hokes downfall will be loyalty to his offensive coordinator (Al Borges). I honestly am not sure Michigan can do better than Hoke, it just isn't the job it once was.

For a long time, OSU was known as the graveyard of coaches, until we found the right guy, and the program took off. You could have argued after Earl Bruce that it may not have been the program it once was either...

What I am saying is that UM has a tradition, and a few bad coaches aren't going to be able to ruin that completely. They get the right guy, and it will be "watch out" time, for sure.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a long time, OSU was known as the graveyard of coaches, until we found the right guy, and the program took off. You could have argued after Earl Bruce that it may not have been the program it once was either...

What I am saying is that UM has a tradition, and a few bad coaches aren't going to be able to ruin that completely. They get the right guy, and it will be "watch out" time, for sure.

Meh, I just don't see it. Maybe it's cause I am so anti Michigan, but I really don't see the tradition of playing there outside of The Game. Maybe their tradition is winged helmets and jumping up to touch a banner before home games?

BTW rumors swirling that Fickell is being talked to by Kelly (Notre Dame) to come there. Not sure how true these rumors are but they are being discussed on both the OSU and ND boards. One of the posters on ND's board asked if he could bring McMillan with him haha.

Fickell to ND as a coordinator would really be a weird move. Someone help me understand why anyone besides Urban would be interested in that....

I get that Fickell might be one of those guys that doesn't WANT to be a HC, but I don't see how that move is even a lateral one, really.....

Fickell to ND as a coordinator would really be a weird move. Someone help me understand why anyone besides Urban would be interested in that....

I get that Fickell might be one of those guys that doesn't WANT to be a HC, but I don't see how that move is even a lateral one, really.....

I don't understand it either unless they are paying him more. He makes 600k a year to coach at the school he has loved his whole life and playe for. I think it's another rumor that will lead to nothing honestly.

Yeah, apparently Luke had plenty of opportunities to take the FAU job but didn't want it. The guy they got ended up getting a 5-year deal for something like $2.5m so Luke would have taken a pay cut if that was the deal.

Unless ND pays him something ridiculous that's not happening. And I don't see them paying him something ridiculous so nothing is happening. I think we're just going to be "stuck" with Luke. I put stuck in quotes because I don't think he's awful and going to stay awful forever but he's certainly not good yet. I really do hope Withers is gone though.

Also just read that the two Glenville kids who are expected to choose OSU will do so at the Army All-American game. So just a few weeks and OSU will have another really high 4-star in Lattimore and a standard 4-star in Smith.

Scout updated rankings today apparently

"Sam Hubbard is now the number one player in the state, number two nationally at his position, AND bumped up to get his 5th star."

I'll post the other guys rankings in a few, i'll edit this post to include them

Cleveland Glenville (Ohio) safety Erick Smith played great down the stretch and moved up nearly 20 spots in the Scout 300.

Also Christian Bryant has applied for his medical redshirt according to reports. From what I have read, the rule states a player cannot play more than 40% of the teams snaps and he's played in 42..We'll see how this ends up. It would be a big bolster to the secondary if he comes back next year, even though I am not a huge fan of his, I feel his loss was huge to this years team.

He beat out 2 alumni for the position? There was a coach from Cass Tech (detroit highschool) who was tweeting the other day that he was heading to columbus and it might change his life. Word got out and he quickly said it was non football related, but rather he was going to meet a female friend...

Will be interesting to see who OSU grabs. Something that's been pointed out and not something to brush off... OSU now has only 1 African American coach on its staff in Stan Drayton. You better believe a scumbag like Larry Johnson at PSU is licking his lips to talk about how racist OSU and Urban Meyer are.

Something people are throwing around is bringing in Chavis now that a spot is open. Have Luke take care of LB's like he used to, learn more under Chavis, pay Chavis like crazy, etc., etc. He's not African American but he is Native American...lol. He's also not a DB coach though. He's a LB coach like Luke so they could end up butting heads if that happened. A pipe dream IMO but I'm glad one sub-par piece of the equation is gone.

People are throwing the name of OSU alum Richard McNutt around

Funny you mention him, there was just a post on scout about him. He was the main recruiter of Johnnie Dixon for NC State.

So many names are being throw out there it's crazy. Fans will flip shit if the secondary is bad again next year lol.

Something i saw today and thought was interesting

"@MikeHuguenin: Florida and Michigan...in 2017 opener in Dallas.. will be UF's first non-conference game out of state since 1991."

^^ Southern teams absolutely refuse to come north and play haha. To follow that up, I read this "they used to play their annual series with Kentucky in November, but right around the same time, they petitioned the SEC to move that game to September. Every time they played in Lexington from 1967-1991, it was in November. Every time since, it has been played in September (one exception, an October game in 2007)."

Something worth noting, 5* DE Solomon Thomas out of Texas has OSU scheduled as his final official visit in mid-January. Most have felt he's a Stanford lean for a long time but his primary recruiter at Stanford, QB coach Mike Sanford Jr., just accepted the OC job at Boise State. His primary recruiter for OSU is Tom Herman with Mike Vrabel helping out as well. There hasn't been much chatter of Tom Herman leaving given the lackluster game he called against MSU so OSU should be OK there. Either way Vrabel isn't going anywhere and he'd be his actual position coach.

So the almost definite additions still to the class...

4* CB Marshon Lattimore (OH)

4* S Erick Smith (OH)

And possible additions...

5* DE Solomon Thomas (TX)

4* OT Roderick Johnson (MO)

4* OT Frank Ragnow (MN)

4* DE Malik McDowell (MI) - lots of people think he could be a stud OT but he wants to play defense. Could be a Joseph Barksdale situation.

4* DT Derrick Nnandi (VA)

3* CB Jermaine Roberts (LA)

3* OT Brady Taylor (OH)

Definitely let out of a sigh of relief when Bowling Green didn't hire Warinner. Saw his name mentioned for Army a few times but didn't think much of it. Didn't know he was an assistant there for over a decade before. People seem to think he takes that job if offered. Breaking in 4 new starters on the OL and a new OL coach in 2014 would be less than ideal but it's been a known possibility for most of the season.

Yeah, next season is definitely gonna be rough. We've got the talent at the skill positions no doubt, but we're absolutely going to have to get away from the traditional offense (Urban's obviously had his hand in this, but some of the plays this year just reeked of Tresselball) and get the ball out of the box, quick. It'll pay off though in a couple years, I'm sure.

Probably extreme hyperbole but there are people out there who think Corey Smith is the best WR on the team. Whoever is behind center next year is going to have some serious weapons. Smith, Marshall and Greene should really add to the WR's and they've all been in the program a year. Not even talking about the true freshmen.

Probably extreme hyperbole but there are people out there who think Corey Smith is the best WR on the team. Whoever is behind center next year is going to have some serious weapons. Smith, Marshall and Greene should really add to the WR's and they've all been in the program a year. Not even talking about the true freshmen.

Who do we have that can throw the ball to them...

It is not Braxton...

Who do we have that can throw the ball to them...

It is not Braxton...

Braxton:

Comp - 63.2%

YPA - 8.05

TD - 22

INT - 5

Sacks - 16

QBR - 157.9

Teddy Bridgewater:

Comp - 70.2%

YPA - 9.22

TD - 28

INT - 4

Sacks - 22

QBR - 169.7

Johnny Manziel:

Comp - 69.1%

YPA - 9.55

TD - 33

INT - 13

Sacks - 19

QBR - 170.4

Jameis Winston:

Comp - 67.9%

YPA - 10.95

TD - 38

INT - 10

Sacks - 23

QBR - 190.1

Tajh Boyd:

Comp - 67.6%

YPA - 9.31

TD - 29

INT - 9

Sacks - 30

QBR - 166.6

So Braxton has a slightly lower comp percentage than these guys, YPA isn't far off, threw 6 less TDs than Bridgewater and 7 less than Boyd, threw less INTs than anyone on this list other than Bridgewater by 1, and has taken less sacks than any of them. He also rushed for more yadrs (1,033) than any of them adding also 10 rushing TDs.

No, he's not the best, but he's not exactly a slouch either. We could have (and have had) FAR worse. This guy has broken/set many records in his time here.

I think a lot of what happens next year depends on what Braxton does. If he leaves early, then don't be surprised if OSU runs the ball even more than this year. If he comes back then I look for him and Devin Smith to put up pretty good numbers in the passing game.

Don't think braxton will leave early unless he puts up amazing numbers in the Orange Bowl. Even if that, this years draft is filled with QBs. He can go this year if he wants to be on someones practice squad or sit the bench