good tools cheaper than the supplier trucks..

The_buster

I got a job working at sears auto center, I do oil changes, batteries, and tire changes. I was wondering if there were any cheaper places to get good quality tools. I've been to the harbor freight website and will most likely buy some wrenches there after the holidays. I bought a "mechanics starter set" from Zone before I left and the 15mm wrench is the longest at around 7"... I need the longer ones for leverage, and need some bigger sizes. Matco wants 3-400 for the same wrench set that harbor freight is charging 35 for.

Also if anyone has any used tools they aren't using I'd like to buy some after the holidays. Thanks!

BTW harbor freight tool have the same warranty as craftsman and probably came over on the same boat.

HF hand tools all have lifetime warranties, so unless you need something made of a stronger metal (probably using the wrong tool if you do), I'd go that route. I'm also not a mechanic, so YMMV, but by no means am I easy on my tools.

Just my $0.02, which I saved by buying most of my tools at HF :)

Everyone here said sears tools suck and they wont warranty them to us because they are not commercial tools, and if they do they give us refurbished or Chinese tools.

And THAT right there is the last time you ever heard of me pimping a sears product. Lol. Thanks, B.

Thanks for the info! Never thought about pawn shops. Everyone here said sears tools suck and they wont warranty them to us because they are not commercial tools, and if they do they give us refurbished or Chinese tools.

That's how it is for anyone. All the new stock is Chinese. If you want an American then it's a refurb. All the stores do this.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

I've bought most of my Snap-on tools on here for very well discounted, up to, 50-60% off regular priced for lightly used. Just takes time to look through all the pages, or just search for what you want.

Congrats on the new job and good luck!

...they wont warranty them to us because they are not commercial tools...

I've always heard this. The weird thing is that if someone came in off of the street they would have no idea if they were a mechanic or not. So basically it's 'ok' for everyone else but since they KNOW you are a mechanic you get hosed even though you work for the 'same' company.

Just don't tell them you were using them for work use, or tell them you were using them for personal use if they try to deny on commercial use, or go to another sears if you need a replacement. And what qualifies commercial use? Just being used in a work environment for company purpose? We had a mix of tools at my previous company, some Snap-on or the like and some craftsman. I bet we used them less and with much less abuse than some people use tools for personal use.

I've heard flea markets are also good places to get craftsman tools, especially mixed pieces to replace missing sockets. You can still get them replaced at a Sears since you don't need a receipt (as far as I know).

Craftsman has a 309 pc kit usually on sale for $199. I got one of the few left over American made sets. Not bad for the money. I have since added a few harbor freight Pittsburgh pro (Taiwanese) ratchets. And I feel the the Pittsburgh pro ratchets are good for the price.

Depends how long you want to do this job as a primary source of income and what level you want to excel to. If you are just going to do light work I would do amazon or hf.

If you are planning on making a go at it and do this for a real long time buy craftsman or cornwell. Cornwell will be your "cheaper" better quality of the tool trucks that come around IMHO

In the past 6-7 years that I have been out of the business for a living I buy tools from Amazon or Jegs. In fact I put together a pretty extensive secong tool chest for the track only and everything was from amazon or jegs and not one complaint.

And THAT right there is the last time you ever heard of me pimping a sears product. Lol. Thanks, B.

Ya know, the sad thing is, I just took a couple ratchets in and had them replaced under warranty and of course got the chinese models, but so far, the actually seem better made, as sad as it is

Buy cheap and replace what you break and use most with nice snap on, mac, matco, cornwall... Read garage journal and have fun. If i were you i woud start out with a nice set of ratchets. I would hate to break a finger if one gave out.

Until the last few years I had always been a mechanic. Yes the big trucks are overpriced and expensive. In the end they are worth it if you are doing this for a career. If all you plan on doing is what you are now then buy cheap. If for the next 30 years you will be turning wrenches, well then $350 for those comfortable wrenches arent a bad deal. Craftsman hurt my hands and I don't like Mac. Most of my tools are snap on. The last few years I have been buying used stuff of the snap on truck for have the price. I have a lot of nice sets that have been repo from people in my same shop and I paid half of what they did. Buy some gear wrenches too. They are nice to use.

Ive got some matco tools but damn they're expensive. Just paid 399 for an impact gun. Its my 3rd one and ive learned to buy good the first time. My first one was 25 at tsc, then I got a used Cornwell for 175 off matco, I traded the Cornwell for the matco... well 150 off the matco.

I was lucky enough to inherit a lot of old craftsman tools from my father, but I've bought several of the harbor freight pittsburg brand wrenches/sockets and other odds and ends and haven't had any problems out of them yet, all of my ratchets and torque wrenches are all 1960's-1980's craftsman stuff. The pittsburg tools at harbor freight have lifetime warranties but I have no idea if you can just take them into the store or not, HF's torque wrenches are junk though.