Memory Wipe from a Smart TV?

zeitgeist57

You're going to send a TV back after several months use? Am I the only one that doesn't think that is right?

Yes.

Costco used to have an unlimited return policy on TV's.

People would use them for a year and then bring them back and go get the current model for the same price. It was one of the perks of buying there. I think it 90 days now, but it's a perk of buying there that they advertise.

FWIW Kohls is the same way. You can bring an item back, at any time, for any reason without an explanation. You'll probably pay a few bills more for it, but you can't beat that warranty anywhere.

I think he's saying it seems a bit morally off.

Me personally? You're talking to somebody who bought a window a/c unit, used it for a few days, and returned it. I mean, you'd never know it was used at all, but still. If you can do it, by all means, I guess go for it. Just knock Jeffro off your right shoulder. ;)

Morally off? Its been quite commonly shown that smart tvs send your viewing habits, usb drive contents, and any possible data off to the manufacturer- even when you attempt to turn it off in the menus. The manufacturer blames the store for selling the device without disclosing this trying to offset the blame.

Morality is something required when entering a moral contract with another moral individual in my opinion. Everyone for themselves as the product goes from being purchased to the purchaser being sold as the product.

The definition of a defective, non working consumer device is going beyond not working to not working as expected. So a smart tv with a shitty interface that's hard to interact with is defective.

Good point.

Not if the store touts a warranty like that.

But really though? Now debates are gonna spread about returning TVs? Winter hits CR hard. :lol:

haha

I will say this thread has me thinking I'll purchase my next TV from Costco. :p

FWIW Kohls is the same way. You can bring an item back, at any time, for any reason without an explanation. You'll probably pay a few bills more for it, but you can't beat that warranty anywhere.

No joke. My mother used to use Kohl's like a fucking trading post back in the day. "Got some shit that doesn't fit anymore? return it, 8 months later after wearing it, get new stuff for a couple bucks." Cracked me up.

You can do it without a reciept like 3 times a year.. But as long as you have a receipt ....

Kohl's is proud to offer our "No Questions Asked - Hassle Free" return policy for all purchases. We do not have a time restriction on returns. Currently our store Associates can locate Kohl's Charge purchases up to 12 months after the purchase date, and the credit can be applied to your account. Non-Kohl's Charge purchases, or purchases made outside the 12 month timeframe qualify for a Kohl's Merchandise Credit or a corporate-issued refund check.

[/

We got a Samsung Smart TV from Costco a few months ago, and hated the interface. Bought another TV.

Before I send the old one back for a refund, is there any way to wipe the memory clean? We have Netflix and other login information stored on it. Thanks!

Yeah, we have a Sammy BluRay and IMO their "smart" interface sucks balls. Pisses me off on a daily basis.

Tonight it's NetFlix that is pissing me off. I have over 25gb bandwidth being pulled down yet it can't stream a fucking thing tonight. Guess I'm not the only night owl trying to watch something.

Fuck, I hate technology at times.

You're going to send a TV back after several months use? Am I the only one that doesn't think that is right?

Meh...if the store policy allows it and the technology sucks then why not? Hell, I'll rebox and return shit in a heartbeat if it's made poorly. I did it this year on a small heater that I used in our family room in the lower level. Perhaps a little over 1yr old with what, maybe 3 months use on it...and it craps out no longer oscillating? Fuck that, bought a new one, put the old one in the box and returned it as defective.

Not a fuck given. Let the manufacturer EAD and the costs to build something that lasts. I'll be damn if I'm going to eat-it.