What Would CR Do: Heat issues in apartment

AudiOn19s

We sold our house earlier this year and are currently in an apartment while we plan our next build. It's a pretty nice complex, we lived there before we got married 9 years ago and had no issues with it. I know the property manager which is good but bad...bad in this situation because I'm trying not to be a complete consumer prick but I'm at the end of my rope.

Our apartments have heat pumps. Basically like the heating system in your car. They use hot water from the water heater, pump it through a heater core and air blows over the heater core to get warm air into the apartment. Some of my terms there may be bad but you get the point.

Anyhow. Thanksgiving day we wake up to an apartment that's below 60 degrees. Call maintenance and they come out and do something??? tell me there was a calcium deposit issue and that they've cleaned it up and we're good to go. Heat is working again so I'm ok with it and sent them on their way. Seems like the heat is never very hot but it's warm enough to warm the unit so we're good.

2 weeks later no heat again. This time they replace the pump insert, claim calcium deposits go on their way.

Since then...it's about every 3-4 days the heat quits working. They've replaced the pump, the heater core, all of the valves in the system, etc. I regularly wake up to an apartment below 60 degrees blowing ice cold air. My wife hates the cold and obviously can't stand this situation.

Finally this week I called and pitched a fit. Told the property manager (again a friends wife) I wanted everything replaced. Water heater, heat pump...all of it. She refuses to replace and says everything is new in there there's no point in replacing. This was Tuesday. Tuesday evening my wife and I return from Christmas Eve dinner to a cold apartment. Emergency maintenance was there until after midnight "fixing" it. Warm all day Christmas day then guess what...wake up to a cold apartment when I got up this morning.

I'm at my wits end. I'm trying not to be a dick but I'm completely fed up with the whole situation. I don't even know what to ask of them at this point. I feel like they're throwing parts at it without even understanding the issue. The last 3 repairs I've been told "Everything is new now" so it can't possibly stop working again...It lasts less than 2 days at best now before it quits...it's getting worse not better.

The maintenance guys are super super nice, I feel like they really do feel horribly about it, but I feel like they have no clue what the problem really is. They come into the apartment 3-4 times a day to check on it..our dogs manage to get out on half of those occasions which creates even more headaches for us.

The whole situation has me about to flip...what would CR do?

You have a right to heat but not a right to equipment, so demanding new this or new that isn't going to get you anywhere.

The other issue is that they ARE addressing the heat issue immediately so you are kind of stuck when it comes to that.

Honestly your best option right now would be to notify the landlord that you are going to call in a 3rd party repair company and billing the estimate cost to them. Threaten to escrow when they push back on that.

You immediately, like today, notify her in writing, via certified mail/return receipt that the temperature in your apartment is, and has been below, 65*; and that she is in violation of ORC5321.04 Landlord obligations. If she does not repair this situation immediately you will be forced to do the following three things:

1) Place rent in rent escrow with the clerk of courts

2) Move forward with terminating your lease for breach of contract

3) Filing a complaint with the Attorney Generals office

Your heat will be fixed same day, guaranteed.

Edit: Wow, when I hit the 'respond' button there were no responses yet. I thought I was first. http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=5572

Or state that you have dates of when it went off, when they repaired and went it went out after the repair. Then state you will be calling The Ohio Landlord-Tenant.

"You have the right to complain to a governmental agency if your landlord violates housing laws or regulations that affect health and safety. "

If you have questions about your tenant-landlord and/or fair housing rights, please feel free to contact us at the Fair Housing Advocates Association (330-253-2450 or blacurr@fairhousingadvocates.com).

Taken from:

http://www.fairhousingadvocates.com/tenantlandlaws.htm

You immediately, like today, notify her in writing, via certified mail/return receipt that the temperature in your apartment is, and has been below, 65*; and that she is in violation of ORC5321.04 Landlord obligations. If she does not repair this situation immediately you will be forced to do the following three things:

Edit: Wow, when I hit the 'respond' button there were no responses yet. I thought I was first. http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=5572

The problem with going straight to the escrow threat is that the landlord is not being unresponsive and the law only states "reasonable heat". Escrow is not an automatic thing

The problem with going straight to the escrow threat is that the landlord is not being unresponsive and the law only states "reasonable heat". Escrow is not an automatic thing

I agree, it is not automatic. The first step is to notify the landlord in writing, to give them a chance to fix issues. That's what I'm suggesting.

I also don't understand what you mean when you say it's a problem. Reasonable heat is above 65 degrees. If they have failed to provide that, and failed to competently fix the issue, regardless of if it's been 'addressed', Andy should take steps to protect himself.

I agree, it is not automatic. The first step is to notify the landlord in writing, to give them a chance to fix issues. That's what I'm suggesting.
writing is never a bad idea, correct. They are trying to fix the issues it sounds like.

I also don't understand what you mean when you say it's a problem. Reasonable heat is above 65 degrees. If they have failed to provide that, and failed to competently fix the issue, regardless of if it's been 'addressed', Andy should take steps to protect himself.

Reasonable heat is not "above 65". Dunno where you heard that. Protecting yourself isn't automatically trying to get an escrow when they have been working on the issue. Even if he got an escrow set up, the landlord can challenge immediately. In this case the landlord would most likely win. If that happens, he now has basically no cards left.

I cant stress this enough :(

Why anyone in thier right mind thought this was a good idea should be dick punched.

Plenty of people run heat pumps in ohio with no issue. The second stage just has to be strong enough to keep up.

Plenty of people run heat pumps in ohio with no issue. The second stage just has to be strong enough to keep up.

I am one of those people. I prefer HOT AIR. Not Ambient air.

We bought a better quality two years ago, and i still feel cold everywhere in my house. I miss gas heat so much.

Heat pumps are NOT made to effeciently run in ohio weather. I dont care what anyone says.

I am one of those people. I prefer HOT AIR. Not Ambient air.

We bought a better quality two years ago, and i still feel cold everywhere in my house. I miss gas heat so much.

Heat pumps are NOT made to effeciently run in ohio weather. I dont care what anyone says.

My parents heat a 4500 sq ft house with a 2 stage heat pump system and its HOT. Do you have a humidifier?

I did this years ago over AC not working when we had 90+ weather. The day the letter was delivered they had a new contractor out on site who fixed the problem in an hour.

My parents heat a 4500 sq ft house with a 2 stage heat pump system and its HOT. Do you have a humidifier?

no we do not.

Hot air should only be coming out of a heat pump if its using the back up heat exchange from my understanding of how they work. THe emergency heat kicks on for us if its below 30

is the second stage gas or electric? my guess, gas.

our place up in Oregon has a heat pump but the temps up there are way more moderate. some seasons we don't even get snow. this year is an exception. it was -9 there just a few weeks ago. our tenants said it was the first time in the last few years they can recall the second stage (propane) furnace kicking in for more than just a few minutes. overall the system there is great, especially in the summer.

is the second stage gas or electric? my guess, gas.

our place up in Oregon has a heat pump but the temps up there are way more moderate. some seasons we don't even get snow. this year is an exception. it was -9 there just a few weeks ago. our tenants said it was the first time in the last few years they can recall the second stage (propane) furnace kicking in for more than just a few minutes. overall the system there is great, especially in the summer.

Electric. Their electric bill is around $650 per month in the winter. Gas wasn't an option till a few years ago where they are, and Columbia wants a$5,000 tap fee.

no we do not.

Hot air should only be coming out of a heat pump if its using the back up heat exchange from my understanding of how they work. THe emergency heat kicks on for us if its below 30

It would feel a lot warmer with a humidifier. They run theirs around 40% most of the time. Mine auto adjusts based off the outside temps

Electric. Their electric bill is around $650 per month in the winter. Gas wasn't an option till a few years ago where they are, and Columbia wants a$5,000 tap fee.

ouch. That's why we went propane our our place up in OR. Too much money to tap into the city gas. Beside, I have plenty of land up there and the tank is out of site behind the 5 car garage that is attached via a breezeway. It was so cold this year, I had to have a heater installed on the pump for the well as the lines began to freeze. Not a big deal cost wise, but among the coldest seasons since we bought the place back in 2000.

It would feel a lot warmer with a humidifier. They run theirs around 40% most of the time. Mine auto adjusts based off the outside temps

^^ this. I keep our house at 45% in the winter. Makes breathing a lot easier and static is a non issue anymore.

I may be wrong, but I think you guys are arguing over two different "heat pumps". You guys are talking about a heat pump/air conditioner which runs on freon with a compressor and a reversing valve.

The op is talking about hot water heat, saying it circulates from his water heater. Essentially like a boiler system. Sounds like they are having circulation problems, like air lock.

I am not familiar with his system, does it circulate a closed loop through the h2o tank, or circulate the domestic hot water through the furnace coil?

I'm guessing it's either a bad thermostat/solenoid valve combo, or air in the lines.

Keep us posted op, and any more info/pics of the system would be interesting.

I may be wrong, but I think you guys are arguing over two different "heat pumps". You guys are talking about a heat pump/air conditioner which runs on freon with a compressor and a reversing valve.

The op is talking about hot water heat, saying it circulates from his water heater. Essentially like a boiler system. Sounds like they are having circulation problems, like air lock.

I am not familiar with his system, does it circulate a closed loop through the h2o tank, or circulate the domestic hot water through the furnace coil?

I'm guessing it's either a bad thermostat/solenoid valve combo, or air in the lines.

Keep us posted op, and any more info/pics of the system would be interesting.

I think you are right. My heat pump runs off A/C

Reasonable heat is not "above 65". Dunno where you heard that. Protecting yourself isn't automatically trying to get an escrow when they have been working on the issue. Even if he got an escrow set up, the landlord can challenge immediately. In this case the landlord would most likely win. If that happens, he now has basically no cards left.

Reasonable heat is defined as above 65 degrees in many states (The entirety of New England, among others including many city/county laws as well; Chicago, Baltimore, etc.), just not Ohio. Ohio doesn't define the term. What the Franklin County clerk recommends in this situation are exactly the steps I outlined above:

http://www.fcmcclerk.com/dept/clerk/pdf/RE%20-%20INFORMATION%20SHEET.pdf

Note that this form states a time limit for repairs to be made, not started.