Opinions on new daily driver?

RedRocket1647545505

I'm looking to get a low-cost, new daily driver. I've had my Colorado ( :dumb:) for about 7 years now and it's starting to show it's age. It's paid off, and I'd like to keep it because I do haul a fair amount of stuff around. I'll still be in school for the next 3-4 years, so I need something to carry me through without spending a fortune. For what it's worth, I'll probably lease it because I damn sure don't plan on keeping it once out of school and the loss is negligible vs depreciation . I average (right now) about 17,000 miles/year.

I'm looking for something new, reliable, great MPG, and not terrible looking. I would prefer a manual. I've been looking at something like the Chevy Cruze, Ford Fiesta/focus, Civic, etc.

Got any suggestions? Experience?

If you're going to lease, just get the stick car with the best deal you can get. You'll be splitting hairs over a few MPG and $20-$40 a month?

Check out the Mazda 2. Great car - especially in stick form - that's economical and still fun to drive. Otherwise, just get whatever KIA or Hyundai stick-shift appliance you can get for cheap.

Have had my 2013 focus hatch with stick since October 2012 and still enjoy driving it. Was the best deal I found when I was looking for what you get. Didn't consider leasing and wanted a 4dr hatch with manual trans.

The Mazda 3 is such a better car then a Mazda 2, the Mazda 2 doesn't sell well because the 3 has just about the same MPGs. I would steer towards the new Skyactive engine if it was me. I like the 3, and they are worth the money IMHO. Now I am also a Chevy technician and the Cruze is not a bad car either, I really don't have to fix much on them. I really like the Sonic for some reason, maybe it's just the dash layout that I like when I drive one, or that it's faster then my 4 banger S10. Anyway test drive a few different cars and see what you like. Those are the ones I'd consider, but I also have experience working on them and that greatly effects my opinion.

If you're going to lease, just get the stick car with the best deal you can get. You'll be splitting hairs over a few MPG and $20-$40 a month?

Check out the Mazda 2. Great car - especially in stick form - that's economical and still fun to drive. Otherwise, just get whatever KIA or Hyundai stick-shift appliance you can get for cheap.

Worst advice I've ever seen you post Clay. Kia and Hyandai have horrible fit and finish, I seem to remember you making a thread about that. http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115465 The Mazda 2 doesn't sell well for good reason, it's stale technology that doesn't even beat the bigger Mazdas in MPGs. I'm surprised they haven't pulled the plug on it.

Edited by Cordell
because

I hated the Mazda 3 because the steering wheel was smashed up into the dash. Like it was designed for girls that like to sit as far forward as humanly possible, so they moved it up to keep them from getting killed by the airbag when they get into a wreck while seated like that.

Anyway, for mid $20's you could get into a TDI Passat which would be a big step up from those other shitboxes.

Anyway, for mid $20's you could get into a TDI Passat which would be a big step up from those other shitboxes.

^ Yup.

VW is releasing a "value line" TDI Jetta for only 21K brand new.

You simply cannot beat a TDI as a daily driver.. Especially with the miles you drive..

I'll second Cordell on the Chevy Cruze. Its not fast by any means but the Gas Eco Cruze in manual is a nice little driver. I can drive mine like I stole it and and still haven't averaged below 32mpg over a tank. Not gonna win any drag races (except maybe a Prius?).

Don't see many of them in for service either.

^ Yup.

VW is releasing a "value line" TDI Jetta for only 21K brand new.

You simply cannot beat a TDI as a daily driver.. Especially with the miles you drive..

This proposition is tough to beat, unless it's completely stripped of all comfort.

I'll also play Chrysler PR for a second and mention that you can get a Dodge Dart Aero with the 1.4 turbo and manual trans and 40 mpg hwy. Still haven't driven one myself, but the mags and blogs seem to like the way it drives, they just complain that it's slow (duh it a 1.4).

I vote ford fusion

Don't get a Cruze, my gf has one and it's been nothing but problems, transmission issues, 3 water pumps, electrical issues and it's under 40k miles and she bought it new.

Which none of these issues were due to lack of maintenance.

Worst advice I've ever seen you post Clay. Kia and Hyandai have horrible fit and finish, I seem to remember you making a thread about that.

I did. But my point is if he's looking to truly lease a car for a couple of years (possibly still be within a warranty/maintenance program) he should be looking for the best balance between deal and vehicle.

I've seen KIA leases for $99/mo, admittedly with 12kmiles/yr. That's why I mentioned them.

I did. But my point is if he's looking to truly lease a car for a couple of years (possibly still be within a warranty/maintenance program) he should be looking for the best balance between deal and vehicle.

I've seen KIA leases for $99/mo, admittedly with 12kmiles/yr. That's why I mentioned them.

Well he still has to live with it for a couple years, ugly is still ugly no matter how cheap it is.

I'll throw in another vote for the Mazda 3. I have a '13 MS3 and I love it. As for the steering wheel being too far into the dash, it is a tilt/telescoping wheel so you can adjust it however you please. They are fun as hell to drive, and the comfort rocks. I took it to Nashville this fall, and the ride to and from was quite nice.

Your best bet out of most of those are either the Focus or the 3. They're the best looking and most fun to drive in this class by far. The Cruze is decent, but I found the 1.4t slow and overburden by the weight and got nowhere near the MPGs the Mazda or Ford got. Everything else is basically a MayTag on wheels.

They will all lease within a few dollars of each other, but with the amount of driving you're going to be doing, I'd probably purchase as a purchase payment won't be much different from a high-mileage lease. You'll own it at the end if you keep it and you won't have to worry about turning it with any possible damage or being over miles.