Bike recommendations? Pedal not vroom vroom

truckin

I'm looking for some recommendations and advice on mountain bikes. I'm 6'1" and a husky guy, I have lost some weight and would like to get down to a goal of around 225-230lbs.

I'm mainly looking for a nice bike that I can ride around trails at some local metro parks, nothing crazy just more pleasure and get some additional excercise. But I want something that will hold up. I purchased a bike acouple years ago from target and it didn't hold up. I can't afford to spend $1k on a bike either.

So looking for good brands, size recommendations?

Thanks

I'm looking for some recommendations and advice on mountain bikes. I'm 6'1" and a husky guy, I have lost some weight and would like to get down to a goal of around 225-230lbs.

I'm mainly looking for a nice bike that I can ride around trails at some local metro parks, nothing crazy just more pleasure and get some additional excercise. But I want something that will hold up. I purchased a bike acouple years ago from target and it didn't hold up. I can't afford to spend $1k on a bike either.

So looking for good brands, size recommendations?

Thanks

Can't speak on the mt. bikes since I haven't had one, but for riding on paved roads and mild packed dirt trails I used a Giant Cypress. I'm 6'1" and started riding at 350 pounds. Highly recommend.

I road mostly on the road, and not on trails with roots sticking out or anything extreme, but I loved this bike. I would look into a good giant. Go to Cyclist Connection. They'll take care of you and will do free checks on your bike for life.

My buddy works for Specialized and swears by them so maybe they're worth looking into.

Anything from a reputable brand should be fine. I would think you should be able to get into a good entry level bike for around $500 new. Do you really want/need a mountain bike? Something more like what Randy was talking about might be more the ticket if you aren't going to offroad. Something more of a hybrid will be easier to ride on everything but off road and have a more upright, 'comfortable' seating position.

I don't know anything about these specific bikes, but just as some examples.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/rove.3/14858/66251/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/roam.3/14821/66248/

If you can afford 1 step up price wise, their $650 option bikes on those have disc brakes, and I'm sure other better components. I'm sure most big brands have some type of bike like this.

Really, just go to a shop and ride some bikes and see what you like.

A good friend of mine is the manager at Cyclist Connections in Canal Winchester, she's very knowledgeable and is open to giving advice and finding something that works for you. If you call them ask for Azia Martin and tell her I sent ya

A good friend of mine is the manager at Cyclist Connections in Canal Winchester, she's very knowledgeable and is open to giving advice and finding something that works for you. If you call them ask for Azia Martin and tell her I sent ya

Will do, thanks

you can go with a mountain bike or hybrid bike for trails at parks, but i'll be honest with you...90% of the time, its not gonna last long, and you're going to have an expensive garage ornament.

mountain biking is fun. i'm a road cyclist, but i enjoy it. i don't own a mountain bike though. know why? because you have to load your bike up, go somewhere just to ride, and i'm not gonna buy one that i know i will get sick of that process any time i want to ride it. i go a few times a year when either friends are going and have an extra mountain bike, or when the local shops/dealers (Trek, Specialized) have demo days and you can go out and ride the fuck out of a $4-5k bike for a couple hours.

my vote is to find a decent level road bike. my now rain/winter bike is a Cannondale CAAD8 i bought a couple years ago. you can probably pick one up now for ~$500. put on some 25 tires (for your weight), get a bit more comfortable ride. a road bike you can go from your front door, and go pretty much anywhere. hell, last year, i left my house near easton, rode to my family reunion at the delaware dam (~35 miles), rode part way home, stopped at the bike shop, did a group ride with some friends, then back home.

this would actually be pretty decent for you, just swap out the tires to get a smoother ride. those 23s jacked up to enough air for your weight are gonna be a rough ride

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/4377721281.html

and since you asked about sizes, if you go with the road option, a 58cm will probably be best for you @ 6'1, but you'll probably be fine on a 56cm as well

you can go with a mountain bike or hybrid bike for trails at parks, but i'll be honest with you...90% of the time, its not gonna last long, and you're going to have an expensive garage ornament.

mountain biking is fun. i'm a road cyclist, but i enjoy it. i don't own a mountain bike though. know why? because you have to load your bike up, go somewhere just to ride, and i'm not gonna buy one that i know i will get sick of that process any time i want to ride it. i go a few times a year when either friends are going and have an extra mountain bike, or when the local shops/dealers (Trek, Specialized) have demo days and you can go out and ride the fuck out of a $4-5k bike for a couple hours.

See, I feel the exact opposite. The beauty of a mountian bike is that it can go *anywhere*. An inexpensive mountian bike can work on the road or off it. I put hybrid tires on mine and with 40psi it rides great on the road and at lower pressure it's good for light trails. Plan to go serious trail riding? Air it down and lever on a set of off-road tires. But for the most part the hybrid tires stay on.

And frankly, as a bigger guy, I prefer to have a sturdier bike under me.

I would recommend getting a good mountian bike that's not too expensive and see where you you want to go. If you find trail riding is more your thing, upgrade to a nice mountain bike. If you find yourself riding just on the roads, go more towards a road bike.

I used to ride trails a lot, but recently I've been doing mostly road riding. So if I upgrade, I'm going to shift closer to a road bike. The 'cross bikes look like they might better fit my kind of riding.

I would say a large size mountain/hybrid with front suspension, hard tail, and disc brakes would be a good starting point.

I found if I ride to small of a bike it bugs my knees pretty bad. Front suspension is a must for offroad trails. Rear suspension is nice if you can lock it out. Disc brakes is better because cantilever and v-brakes with cheap pads tend to fade when they get wet plus most disc brakes are usually hydraulic so they have a little more grabbing power. I would also recommend going to a bike shop and check a couple different manufactures out. A rough way to fit a bike is to straddle the top bar and check the clearance between the bar and your crotch. You want at least a couple inches of room there. A good bike shop can fit you for to a frame too.

Just get a Huffy, Thunder 36.

Kidding

I hate bikes now, because of everything in this thread. The last few years I have looked at bikes several time. I just end up getting pissed and feel like I'm wasting my time.

Best of luck

Good info, my good friend just picked up an entry level road bike and i have been contemplating trying it out. I live in dublin and can get to the olentangy trial pretty easily, it would be cool to ride downtown once and a while. I think that's a 10 mile trip or so?

I love my old Cannondale F900. The headshock has plenty of travel for what I need, it can be locked out and requires virtually no maintenance. Only thing I've changed on the bike in the 14 years I've owned it is the ugly yellow tires.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=802&pictureid=7561

If you want to stick to paved trails I can make you a great deal on a cruiser...

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=802&pictureid=7562

Good info, my good friend just picked up an entry level road bike and i have been contemplating trying it out. I live in dublin and can get to the olentangy trial pretty easily, it would be cool to ride downtown once and a while. I think that's a 10 mile trip or so?

The Olentangy bike trail is 7 miles from the northern end to the first street section. It's a good and entertaining ride. If you are ok with riding on streets, the whole trail is 15 miles I believe.

The Hilliard rail trail is 6 miles from end to end with only crossings. It's straight and very flat. Not as fun as Olentangy, but it's easy and good for a quick ride after work.

We also hit up a trail between Newark and Johnstown. It's 14 miles from end to end with only crossings. It's a bit more challenging because the 4 miles or so at the Johnstown end are a steady slope. We start in Newark so we don't have to ride up hill at the end of our ride. Did that only once..

Me personally I bought a $125 26 inch mountain bike cheapie from Wal-Mart took it to a bike shop for a tune up upgraded the intertubes and seat I ride a total of about 50 HARD miles a week on pavement and dirt/rock/gravel trails for the last 2 years bike has never gave me an issue other than the chain needing a little more grease on it.

So total cost with tune-up,upgrades etc just a little under $200 and it's held up just as good as the more expensive bikes and seeing how the bike is so cheap I can just buy another one if something seriously goes wrong with it because I am NOT easy on the bike at all.

I'm 6'2 215lbs right now was around 235 when I started riding its a GREAT work-out

Me personally I bought a $125 26 inch mountain bike cheapie from Wal-Mart took it to a bike shop for a tune up upgraded the intertubes and seat I ride a total of about 50 HARD miles a week on pavement and dirt/rock/gravel trails for the last 2 years bike has never gave me an issue other than the chain needing a little more grease on it.

So total cost with tune-up,upgrades etc just a little under $200 and it's held up just as good as the more expensive bikes and seeing how the bike is so cheap I can just buy another one if something seriously goes wrong with it because I am NOT easy on the bike at all.

I'm 6'2 215lbs right now was around 235 when I started riding its a GREAT work-out

Did the same. Then bought an "expensive bike". I highly recommend not getting a Wal*Mart cheapie. YMMV.

My Giant cost me $350 since it was the previous years model. Sold it for $250 last summer. Bought it at Cyclist Connection and they do the tune/check ups for free. My expensive bike cost me $100 in the long run.

OR if you go to retagit like my friend did, you get that same $350 bike for ~$200-$250. If ya sell it later and have taken care of it you could potentially not lose any money.

Lol @ "expensive" $350. I know we're in totally different ball parks on this one, but my bike retailed for almost 10 times that much and I got it for a steal from the guy at 1200 (which was still a decent chunk of change).

Kinda my point. You can get a good hybrid (or mt/road bike) and NOT have to spend thousands. :)

I could have bought a $3K bike...but then I would have been further in debt. :lol:

I'm just not THAT into riding. Have friends that are. Not for me. At $350 (normally ~$500 I think) the Giant Cypress was PERFECT for me, especially at the size I was when I started.