Shed talk in this thread

Trouble Maker

So, I want to get some basic lawn equipment out of my garage, as it's always in the way. Even those kit's that are 8'x4' would be big enough. We are planning to tear down and build a bigger garage down the road, maybe 5-7 years, so this is a somewhat temporary storage space.

Are the kits any good, are they ok deals? If I design/build my own, will it be a lot less expensive?

Metal, wood or plastic?

What about the foundation. Should I do concrete... considering the 'temporary' nature of this build? If not, what do you do for the foundation?

I would like to butt this up to the back of my garage. First purpose is to keep it out of the way in the back yard. Secondly I'd like to run electricity into it; for a light, outlet and probably stick my air compressor in it (run the air back through). Any special considerations for this. One of my concerns is if it's free standing and I just 'butt' it up to the garage, do you think I will have condensation issues there? If I do something like the 4x8 size, I plan to do a 'lean to' style. It's a typical gable roof and this will be under the small gable overhang. What about the elec runing through the walls, can I just use outdoor rated wire?

What can I build in Columbus, do I need a permit?

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1377911&postcount=6

http://library.municode.com/showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=16219&jobId=&docID=9

http://library.municode.com/showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=16219&jobId=&docID=8

I'm thinking something like this.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_562137-36975-182464_1z0wg8d+1z0yx69__?productId=50152456&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1%26page%3D1&facetInfo=Lean-to

Looking into the same thing myself. Pouring concrete makes it a permanent structure, and apparently causes some additional headaches? My neighbors seem to do a shallow gravel bed instead. I was just going to use a battery powered light for mine to avoid having to run electricity. I know a lot of things that are "permanently hardwired" need a permit.

The light and outlet would just be nice to have, but I would really like to put the air compressor in there. If I have to run a power cord through the wall into the garage and connect it in there, it's not the end of the world.

Speaking of what makes it a 'permanent' structure versus a shed, does having it that close to the garage cause any issues? If I custom build it and only make three walls and have the fourth wall be the existing outside wall of the garage, is that now a part of the garage or still a 'shed'?

shed is permitted without a building permit if it does not exceed 169 square feet my dad always said 12x12 is always safe but i guess you can go 13x13 haha. Wood or vinyl siding? I would lay a bed of sand/gravel, butt it up against the garage but not tie them together. Run electrical in the ground between them for an outlet/light. That way it's all easy to pull back apart down the road. If vinyl siding you can just spray some mildew cleaner/killer to help protect it. Edited by Turbs3000

I made a studded floor and put up a 8x12 plastic she'd for lawn and atv. It's done great in snow, wind storms, etc.

Did you use treated lumber? Did you level out the ground at all, put anything else down; gravel?

I'd like to do this as simple as possible, but not fall apart in 3 years.

You need to use treated lumber for the floor, absolutely. If you don't want to put it on gravel at least level on blocks so it's not sitting on the ground. A wood shed on the ground will rot the floor out in a couple years at best in Ohio. BTDT

The permit part of this project sucks. We want to replace ours and go a little bigger. Interested to see what people have build or kits people have used.

Seems like in Columbus at least, you don't need a permit if it's a 'shed' of less than 169sqft. Confirming this and what makes it a shed is part of why I posted this.

Are you technically in a city or not?

Do you really need a shed? I think you've got more combined garage space, not including the shed, than my house and garage combined. :fa:

my recomendation is that if you think an 8x4 is big enough, tripple it... when I built my 2000 sq foot garage behind my house I thought that would be plenty and I'd never fill it... 3 years later, I'm looking to expand it or build a shed to keep my mower and or ATV's in...

8x4 is very small for a shed and won't hold very much.

Seems like in Columbus at least, you don't need a permit if it's a 'shed' of less than 169sqft. Confirming this and what makes it a shed is part of why I posted this.

Are you technically in a city or not?

Do you really need a shed? I think you've got more combined garage space, not including the shed, than my house and garage combined. :fa:

LOL. We do have some space. I just want to reorganize and freshen up a bit. We are out of the city, that's why I'm able to shoot here. So many projects. So little time/$.

not at all... but you take a 62inch commercial mower, 3 ATV's, a camper, trailer, jeep wrangler, spare car, my camaro, and a workshop, you can see how that amount of space can get used up quickly.... I'm pretty much the exact oposite of a hoarder... just have alot of shit to store.

Did you use treated lumber? Did you level out the ground at all, put anything else down; gravel?

I'd like to do this as simple as possible, but not fall apart in 3 years.

Yes treated lumber for sure. Even good deck screws. I leveled the ground and put some gravel down.

I didnt imagine it lasting 5 years, I wanted a temp shelter for my stuff.

Eventually I want to pull my fence down, and get a big wooden shed dropped in.

If I had to do it again I'd just buy an already built wooden shed and have it delivered. Little over a year ago we bought an arrow 8x10 metal shed kit from lowes. Arrow sells a cheap made metal foundation kit separately for those not wanting to pour concrete or build a wooden foundation so we went that route. Put it together, throw some 3/4" plywood on it and start the shed build. Putting it together wasn't as bad as it was made out to be in the reviews. You will need a helper for a couple of things once you get so much of it put together. Hundred of shitty bolts and nuts that a toddler could strip the threads out on. Shed fucking sucks even though it serves its purpose. Dents easily, starting to rust, leaked instantly which I was able to take care of with some roofing cement from the inside. Door tracks need to pretty much be polished for them to even remotely slide half way decent after the first couple of months. Right around $500 in this piece of shit once it was all said and done.

Want a decent shed? Go wood or don't waste your time.

edit-this piece of shit

http://www.arrowsheds.com/images/storeexclusive/arrow_highpoint_shed_10x8.jpg

I did a wooden shed kit from lowes about four years ago and it's held up great. Materials are thinner than you may spec if you design your own but price was great and I didn't have to cut anything. Best part was it only took about 20 man hours to assemble and most I could do by myself. I dug out the grass, leveled, and used those concrete footer blocks for the foundation. I laid plastic and pea gravel to keep weeds out too. Only thing that didn't come with the kit was roofing shingles. I would also add tar paper to the roof and better roofing nails than the kit comes with because I lost some shingles in the big windstorm a few years ago.