Boat Project

Linn1647545492

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Why the exhaust change ? Solid # let's see some videos!

The headers cracked and I hydro locked the motor. I was out tuning, shut the boat off to change jets, go to start 30 mins later and the motor was locked. I though water just came in through the exhaust but that wasn't the case.

I also need to change pullie the boat was making 6 pounds of boost at 4400 and climbing :lolguy: I want to be around 6 pounds at 5000.

I'm also fighting 20 year old wiring, so I've spend a lot of time rewiring everything.

• 4 weeks later...
Ever make it back out to open it up?

well after about two hours on the lake, I noticed smoke/haze come out of the breather and I didn't like some of the noises I heard coming from the motor. So I pulled the boat out of the water and checked the rockers and tighten the header bolts changed the oil once again, which looked good and then started it on the hose. It started right up and but still didn't sounds right, so I pulled the plugs and this is what #5 looked like.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u57/playwithlinn/F6099D53-4F1A-4536-9B35-4AA32D112AFE_zps0v7ybmye.jpg

So I scope the motor and the top of the piston is beat up. I'm thinking I broke/bent a valve and it was banding around in the cylinder. From what I can tell the sidewalls look good but, I wont know more until I pull the heads once again. The motor is coming back out in a few weeks and it looks like I'm going to completely tear it down.

What is the most upsetting/disappointing part is I didn't even get to run the boat wide open. At 3/4 throttle and 4400 RPM i went 73.3 with a 30 pitch prop.

What headers were you running that locked up? Those risers don't look very long , need at least 16 inches if running much cam to avoid reversion. Man that sucks shit blew up at least the season is almost over up there. I was going to go the blower route but wasn't totally sold. I'm going to put a 540 together over the winter with some dart heads and a decent cam and get rid of the efi.

What headers were you running that locked up? Those risers don't look very long , need at least 16 inches if running much cam to avoid reversion. Man that sucks shit blew up at least the season is almost over up there. I was going to go the blower route but wasn't totally sold. I'm going to put a 540 together over the winter with some dart heads and a decent cam and get rid of the efi.

It wasn't a header issue, I ended up blowing both head gaskets only to find out that the motor had two different head gaskets on it. So I found a previous issue when I added boost. Then put it all back together only to have a what I think is a valve issue.

When I rebuild it will become a roller motor with Aluminum heads. The goal is 750+ HP on the rebuild.

540 would be a nice motor and with the right setup you can make 600+HP all day long.

Should be able to haul the mail next year with that setup. That poor drive is going out next ! Might want to just use iron heads and upgrade to an xr bravo, my buddy is finishing up his 38 formula fastech now with soiled up hp500s and xrs we are just scared of these shitty bravos holding up. Im hoping with the 540 good heads and a good cam ( already running dry exhaust with my motor now) I should be in the mid 600 range and running no less than 90.