Tree removal question

Snowflake

I got a letter put on my front door from AEP about them cutting down a tree in my back yard thats apparently dead. Unfortunately I think the tree was killed because of the fence I put in my yard. I was warned by the fence company that it was possible since I have tons of trees in my yard that digging for the posts could damage/kill a tree. Well it appears it happened and that sucks.

Anyway the tree is an Ash from what the company contracted to cut it down said. They said the tree would be cut into 4' sections and left for me to get rid of and the tree has to be 40' tall I'd guess. That sounds like a lot of wood to me.

Is this type of wood something that people would want to burn and if so what would be the suggested way to get rid of it. The contractor said he could come back and grind the stump out but he only said he'd have to give us an estimate and wouldn't throw out a price.

What can I do with all that wood?

How much does it cost to grind down a stump?

Ash is good firewood. Sell it or give it away to a member. I'll come get the big logs if you are near SE columbus.

I'm in Pataskala and if people want it they can have it at no cost. I'll even let them drive into the backyard and pull right up on it for easy removal.

emerald ash borer probably killed it, fighting them at the parents house now

Huh? How can I tell for sure? The reason I thought it was possibly from the fence is because the tree sits in a far corner of my lot and when they drilled for the several post around the tree a shit load of root material surfaced.

I have like 15 of these trees in my yard and lord knows I can't lose all my trees.

What are you doing to fight your problem?

We use a bayer advanced insecticide, it isnt cheap but so far it seems to be keeping them back. They spread super fast and then lay eggs under the bark and it kills the tree from the inside. If you have one die then I would keep an eye on the others. Maybe it was the posts but with ash around here their days are numbered.

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/eab/

After a quick google search it appears that the EAB can kill a healthy tree in 3-4 years. Last year this particular tree had a full canopy so hopefully the fence killed it.

Looks like I need to start a preventative maintenance program on my trees.

Dont the ash bore drill a ton of holes in the wood?

Id live to get a trunk full whenever you cut it down,

Not a problem. It sounds like it will be cut down pretty soon. I will be in town for a week in late August and I will get with whoever wants some wood to come get their fill until it's gone.

We use a bayer advanced insecticide, it isnt cheap but so far it seems to be keeping them back. They spread super fast and then lay eggs under the bark and it kills the tree from the inside. If you have one die then I would keep an eye on the others. Maybe it was the posts but with ash around here their days are numbered.

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/eab/

Good info, thanks

Is AEP cutting it down or did you get a notice from AEP requesting that you cut it down?

We recently had AEP come through our neighborhood for trimming and they had to top an old pine tree in the back of my yard. They left most of the trunk wood beside the tree. All the branches and such the put through a wood chipper. My guess they left the wood since my fire pit and stack of wood was near. Anyway, if AEP is cutting it down, they will dispose of most of it.

If you have Ash trees, be ready to replace them. I have a pile of ground branches from a golf course, its huge. Once you get them, EAB kills all the Ash trees near you. If your trees started growing little branches at weird places on the trunk or if some branches suddenly die, probably EAB. Look at your existing trees. If you have it, cut them down and burn the whole works.

Is AEP cutting it down or did you get a notice from AEP requesting that you cut it down?

We recently had AEP come through our neighborhood for trimming and they had to top an old pine tree in the back of my yard. They left most of the trunk wood beside the tree. All the branches and such the put through a wood chipper. My guess they left the wood since my fire pit and stack of wood was near. Anyway, if AEP is cutting it down, they will dispose of most of it.

AEP is having a contractor cut it down because it's close to the power lines. The contractor told my wife that they would be leaving four foot sections of the trunk on property.

If you have Ash trees, be ready to replace them. I have a pile of ground branches from a golf course, its huge. Once you get them, EAB kills all the Ash trees near you. If your trees started growing little branches at weird places on the trunk or if some branches suddenly die, probably EAB. Look at your existing trees. If you have it, cut them down and burn the whole works.

I'll have to wait until late august before I can look at the trees in my yard when I get home. Hopefully the damage to the roots from digging fence posts killed the tree. I'd like a chance at trying to save them if I can.

AEP is having a contractor cut it down because it's close to the power lines. The contractor told my wife that they would be leaving four foot sections of the trunk on property.

Yeah that is pretty much what they did for us too. But they cut the trunk sections into about 1.5-2 foot sections. Which works great for my fire pit.

I thought it was technically illegal to transport infected EAB wood over county lines and it's all supposed to be disposed of in a specific way. But honestly once they cut it down you will for for sure know if that's what killed it. Assuming the fence killed it people will snap that up no problem. When we had 2 tree stumps ground I think they were $75 each and they were about 15inch across maybe. Edited by Turbs3000

Technically it's illegal to transport infected EAB wood over county lines and it's all supposed to be disposed of in a specific way. But honestly once they cut it down you will for for sure know if that's what killed it. Assuming the fence killed it people will snap that up no problem. When we had 2 tree stumps ground I think they were $75 each and they were about 15inch across maybe.

It used to be restricted by county, but now it is state wide.

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/eab/eabquarantine.aspx

Link to map: http://www.agri.ohio.gov/public_docs/eab_maps/eab-map-quarantine.pdf

I just got off the phone with the tree guy cutting it down. He said without looking at it he still says it's probably that fucking EAB.

Assuming that it is, does that mean the wood is no good to burn?

I have a bad feeling about this. The guy told me he could help me out with any of the trees that could fall on power lines but that will leave 5 that I would have to pay to have dropped.