College Football Thread v5.0

bicranium

I don't know, but I really hope so. Of all the potential candidates that have been talked about so far, Mullen is the only one that really excites me. It's sad because I genuinely like Will Muschamp and think he's a great guy with one hell of a great mind for defense, but it's been clear for over a year now that he's just not the answer. I had high hopes for him, but at this point I'm ready to throw a huge party the day he's fired. The Ron Zook years look good in comparison, and that's a HUGE problem.

It's crazy that in the early part of last year Mullen was on a slightly warm seat at MSU and I was hoping for a complete collapse resulting in his firing and reunion with Urban as his OC here. Now he's one of the top candidates for jobs like Michigan and Florida.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's only about $1 million a year for football if they pay everyone "on the team". I'm sure they would have stipulations in place and ways to get out of paying players but still that's not much for a major program like that.

That's only about $1 million a year for football if they pay everyone "on the team". I'm sure they would have stipulations in place and ways to get out of paying players but still that's not much for a major program like that.

Major programs like Texas and Ohio State likely spend $1M on every away game to cover costs of travel, staffing, etc.

Agreed, $1M is a drop in the bucket.

2 of the top 3 teams in the country right now are "small" schools. If you think Ole Miss and Miss St have the same bankroll to play with that Ohio State and Texas do then you're crazy. The NCAA would have to regulate a cap of some sort to make it a level playing field for everyone.

2 of the top 3 teams in the country right now are "small" schools. If you think Ole Miss and Miss St have the same bankroll to play with that Ohio State and Texas do then you're crazy. The NCAA would have to regulate a cap of some sort to make it a level playing field for everyone.

Stop, you're too smart to use that argument. They are #2 and #3 RIGHT NOW, against everyone's expectations. In the last 10 years, how much time have either of those school spent in the top 10?

There are always going to be small schools that catch lightning in a bottle and make a run at the brass ring, and they will do it regardless of the fact that they AREN'T getting the same athletes as the big schools. The pay isn't going to change that.

Additionally, it isn't like the big schools are going to get a tons of extra schollies to use on those superlative HS players. Each team is still going to have a set amount of players they can take on. The athletes that don't get on with a big school will go to the smaller schools, and play with an even bigger chip on their shoulder.

What it WILL eliminate (or at least lessen) is the importance of signing day. If a bigger school comes knocking on your door, you are not going to dick around taking trips to little schools for fear of losing that bigger check. Conversely, If OSU offers a kid a schollie, and he doesn't respond with some alacrity, they will pull it and offer it to someone else who is more interested. Coaches are going to have to get even better at recruiting real talent, and kids that don't perform after years 1 and 2 are going to find themselves on the outs.

Ok, I still think it would make it hard for teams that aren't big money schools to be able to compete if it comes to money. I personally hope it never comes to that, there is the NFL for a reason. I think kids should be able to use their name to make money, but schools shouldn't pay kids to come there.

I was thinking about money earlier though, I wonder how much of it is brought in from every Ohio State home game. The cheapest tickets sold are students and they are $36 (at least the ones I just had said that on it). There is 106,xxx people in the stands, plus concession sales. I would be interested in that statistic, if its even possible to find

Also, I don't have a problem with a kid taking visits to other schools. College is a pretty big decision, especially for an 18 year old kid. I would however like to see an earlier signing day.

When's the last time OSU had a kid decommit and pick Kansas instead haha

Ohio State's busy week on the recruiting front continued Thursday when three-star tight end Josh Moore of Olathe (Kan.) North switched his commitment from OSU to Kansas, as confirmed by Scout.com's Derek Young.

The 6-5, 250-pounder becomes the No. 12 commitment in Kansas' class and drops the Buckeyes down to 18.

Kinda hard to root against the kid after reading this

Josh Moore @JoshMoore_08 · 53m53 minutes ago

If my mom needs help I'm there for her. not 10 hours away .

Josh Moore @JoshMoore_08 · 55m55 minutes ago

The only family I have is left is my mom and I honestly couldn't leave her by herself when I can get a free education 30 minutes away.

The only family I have is left is my mom and I honestly couldn't leave her by herself when I can get a free education 30 minutes away.

Not even mad about that. Good for that kid.

Barrett received some more praise.

Ohio State's busy week on the recruiting front continued Thursday when three-star tight end Josh Moore of Olathe (Kan.) North switched his commitment from OSU to Kansas, as confirmed by Scout.com's Derek Young.

The 6-5, 250-pounder becomes the No. 12 commitment in Kansas' class and drops the Buckeyes down to 18.

Yeah, best wishes for that kid, for real.

I honestly think that's going to be the situation with Damien Harris as well. I think he is going to head to Kentucky and stay close to home, rather than come here to Ohio State. Granted Kentucky is closer than Kansas, but sometimes it's hard to leave everything you know.

I think it may have been suggested to Moore to look elsewhere similar to Taivon Jacobs who ended up staying home at Maryland or the kid from Indiana last year who ended up at one of the directional Michigan schools. Either way I wish him the best. Kid's been through a lot (cancer) already in his life.

As for Harris it definitely looks to be trending in Kentucky's favor. They're having a decent season, he's at basically every one of their home games, etc., etc. OSU could poach Mike Weber from Michigan. LJ Scott went to MSU partially because everyone was telling him OSU was getting Harris then Weber went to Michigan because Scott took his spot at MSU so if Harris goes to UK then OSU can pull Weber (who was supposedly going to commit to OSU back in January or so but his parents insisted he keep looking). Or they could end up with that kid they recently offered from I think Tennessee. Either way they definitely still need a RB. Rod Smith is a senior and at least one of Ball and Dunn are going to be transferring.

That's a stand-up young man right there. Kudos and best of luck to him.

I think it may have been suggested to Moore to look elsewhere

I really hope not. As tight as Urban is with committable offers, I don't really see this being the case. If it is, that is super shitty, just dont let him commit in the first place.

I really hope not. As tight as Urban is with committable offers, I don't really see this being the case. If it is, that is super shitty, just dont let him commit in the first place.

I really think Moore's commitment took the staff by surprise. I don't think any of us had really even heard of him before he showed up to camp and committed. He committed in July. Written offers don't go out until September. I actually wonder if he even received a written offer. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Moore showed up, had misunderstood something a position coach may have said to him, thought he had an offer, committed and it was in such a public setting that the staff didn't want to embarrass him right then and there. Over time it's communicated to him that he may want to explore other options and here we are today. The Taivon Jacobs and Lonnie Johnson situations were a little more obvious to everyone but I think Moore's situation may be similar. Haven't read anything solid on that anywhere, just my gut feeling.

I don't think Ball will be the one transferring since he's a hometown guy. I do think Dunn should and will transfer, it's just not working out at Ohio State for him. He did something to get on the bad side of Urban and he's buried on the depth chart because of it.

I agree on Ball. He seems like the kind of kid who will stick it out, get his degree and maybe even be done with football after his 4th year instead of using up a scholarship for a 5th. And Dunn is buried because he just isn't as good as Zeke, Samuel or Smith. Add his 5-6 fumbles in <30 carries in his career and that's just not going to scream "I DESERVE MORE CARRIES."

Looks like Devon Bogard tore his ACL for the 3rd time now. You have to start wondering if maybe his playing days are done at this point. It may be the best for him as far as life after football goes.

I think it is the other knee though? He had 2 surgeries on one knee - this is the other. Not sure that will make a difference?

Yeah it isn't the 3rd on the same knee, however it is the 3rd torn ACL this kids body has suffered. At some point you're gonna have to think that maybe football just isn't in the cards for him. Who knows, maybe he comes back from it and is successful at Ohio State. I know the coaches were really high on him.

OSU wearing the all white uniforms they wore vs. Michigan last year. Good god those are sexy. They'll fit right in with PSU's white out.

And as for what I said a couple posts back, it's actually more likely that MSU ends up with Weber and OSU ends up with LJ Scott with Harris trending towards Kentucky. Current OSU commit Josh Alabi will probably also end up at MSU. Looks like Urban just doesn't like people named Josh. :gabe: