College Football Thread v5.0

bicranium

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I read somewhere that OSU has a ban on ESPN having gameday in Columbus, any truth to that? If so maybe that explains some of the anti-osu sentiment you see on ESPN

The anti-OSU sentiment is merely a result of the BTN. OSU is the B1G's biggest program so ESPN (I literally typed SEC instead of ESPN first then had to correct it...haha) attacks it. All of this stems from Delany creating the BTN. ESPN low balled him back in 2004 or so and he told them fuck you I'll just make my own network. They said go ahead, bitch. And he did. And it's been extremely profitable so ESPN started latching onto the SEC and eventually created an entire network for them.

I doubt there's a ban on Gameday coming here. They haven't been here since 2010 but Columbus has still hosted Gameday more than any other city. And of course they had their all access thing when Urban first got here. They could be in East Lansing next weekend (other potential sites would be at the TCU-KSU game or Bama-LSU game). Next year they could come to Columbus for OSU-MSU.

I'd have more respect for them if ESPN just acknowledged it and moved on.

"We try to be objective, but we can appreciate the fact that we might sometimes give preferential treatment to some of those entities with whom we share common interests, like the SEC. To try and act as though there isn't some bias would be insulting to everyone with common sense. We'll try our best to stay objective and hope others will appreciate - and see - our efforts to do so."

How is ND not in the top 4 yet Ole Miss is? ND's sole loss was by few points to the #2 (arguably #1) team in the country, yet they are #6 in this stupid thing? Which btw had it not been for a pass interference call they would've won that game. I know there's a ton of games yet to be played, but this system is just as bad as the damn BCS was if not worse. You have a committee, all with their own personal agenda, selecting who is in a 4 team playoff. To me, this system looks exactly like the AP poll where a SEC team loses and only drops 1-3 spots, while the team that beats them leap frogs to their spot. It ensures the SEC will be in the conversation each and every time. I would not be shocked at this point to see 2 SEC teams get in honestly and that is bullshit. This system needs to get revised to allow more teams in the playoff, I have said this from the very start. The only thing that can ensure only 1 SEC team gets in is if the west winner has 2 losses including a loss in the SEC championship game. If I am any other conference in America not named the SEC I am up in arms over this shit.

/rant

SEC Hype Machine at work.

Yeah, that was the article I mentioned on the last page. I probably should have linked it.

Here's the Awful Announcing article I mentioned... http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/skepticism-healthy-espn.html

That's where the facts Josh posted about ESPN/SEC's contract stuff came from.

It's pretty hilarious reading SEC people attacking both articles claiming they're biased against the SEC.

There is zero argument here. ESPN's desire to turn a profit dictates that they prop up the SEC and try to ensure that, long term, the SEC is the best conference. There is no argument to be made. Unfortunately the kind of education people down in SEC country get doesn't give them the ability to understand these things. "AIN'T NO BIAS. WE JUST DA BEST. PAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWL, TELL EM I'M RIGHT!"

Yeah, that was the article I mentioned on the last page. I probably should have linked it.

Here's the Awful Announcing article I mentioned... http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/skepticism-healthy-espn.html

That's where the facts Josh posted about ESPN/SEC's contract stuff came from.

It's pretty hilarious reading SEC people attacking both articles claiming they're biased against the SEC.

There is zero argument here. ESPN's desire to turn a profit dictates that they prop up the SEC and try to ensure that, long term, the SEC is the best conference. There is no argument to be made. Unfortunately the kind of education people down in SEC country get doesn't give them the ability to understand these things. "AIN'T NO BIAS. WE JUST DA BEST. PAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWL, TELL EM I'M RIGHT!"

Pretty much the response I got with a bunch of stats about the SEC and how great the SEC west is. Funny thing, I looked up who was in the SEC East and outside of GA they are pretty dumpster-fire-riffic, about like the Big 10.

Pretty much the response I got with a bunch of stats about the SEC and how great the SEC west is. Funny thing, I looked up who was in the SEC East and outside of GA they are pretty dumpster-fire-riffic, about like the Big 10.

Just wait - there's plenty of time for Georgia to shit the bed. They're about like Clemson - give them time and they'll find a way to underachieve. About every four years everyone gets on the Georgia train only to watch it derail spectacularly. Of course, everyone needs Georgia to be really good to maintain the integrity of the SEC East, considering - as you very eloquently put it - the remainder of teams are a dumpster fire. Florida is a shell of itself, South Carolina is about the equivalent of Virginia Tech anymore (highly ranked preseason only to cliff dive to the pavement four weeks into the season), Tennessee hasn't been relevant since the late 1990s, Kentucky is a bunch of idiots, and Vanderbilt is, well, Vanderbilt.

Just how good can the SEC really be when two middle of the road Big 12 teams join and one goes 11-2 in the first year and the other competes in the championship game in year two?

Before Texas AM joined the SEC, everyone was saying they were going to be slaughtered, oh the humanity, etc. Now, all of a sudden, Texas AM is this football juggernaut that might lose by 3 points to the 85 Bears.

Just wait - there's plenty of time for Georgia to shit the bed. They're about like Clemson - give them time and they'll find a way to underachieve. About every four years everyone gets on the Georgia train only to watch it derail spectacularly. Of course, everyone needs Georgia to be really good to maintain the integrity of the SEC East, considering - as you very eloquently put it - the remainder of teams are a dumpster fire. Florida is a shell of itself, South Carolina is about the equivalent of Virginia Tech anymore (highly ranked preseason only to cliff dive to the pavement four weeks into the season), Tennessee hasn't been relevant since the late 1990s, Kentucky is a bunch of idiots, and Vanderbilt is, well, Vanderbilt.

Georgia has Florida, Kentucky, Auburn, FCS (of course), Georgia Tech.

I expect one loss, would put money on 2 and would not be surprised with 3. Gurley or no Gurley.

Before Texas AM joined the SEC, everyone was saying they were going to be slaughtered, oh the humanity, etc. Now, all of a sudden, Texas AM is this football juggernaut that might lose by 3 points to the 85 Bears.

Exactly, and they did it with a new coach, new system and a redshirt freshman QB...

Also on the ESPN biased, I've noticed Texas is usually apart of the picks on Game Day. No Big Ten Team that bad is mentioned that often.

Texas is to CFB what the Dallas Cowboys are to the NFL. I think it's the brand and the amount of eyeballs in Texas that accounts for it.

ESPN also owns The Longhorn Network. Miami has a lot of fans all over but not much coverage on them now.

I'm just kinda ranting about the ESPN biased now.

I've been saying this all season. Pre-season polls overhype the shitty South Carolina and A&M teams. OSU loses to a then 2-0 Va Tech team and drops off the face of the planet....teams are still getting credit for "big wins" against both of those shit SEC teams. It's laughable. Bottom line is that top to bottom the SEC is down this year from prior years, but are still getting the love. They still have some good teams, but not as many. They have a lot more bad teams this year too.

I was saying the same thing about A&M and Mizzu, couldn't win to save their lives in the Big12 join the SEC and now they're world beaters. what. a. joke.

Everyone talks about A&M more because of Manziel and because they beat Bama their first year in the conference but Mizzou won their fucking division last season. That program hadn't been relevant since 2007 when they shit the bed in the Big 12 title game allowing OSU to swoop into the national title game.

And Indiana beat them in Columbia this year.

I think it's real simple and probably said it in here before... the SEC as a whole is down. Bama, Auburn, LSU, etc... all down. MSU and Ole Miss are up a bit. But instead of letting the rankings bring teams like Bama, Auburn and LSU down they've simply slotted MSU and Ole Miss up.

Here's some food for thought...

Both Mississippi schools went 3-5 in conference last season. Here are 2 teams from the B1G that had that same record or better last year... Minnesota (4-4) and Indiana (3-5). If either of those teams were still sitting with 1 loss they would barely be in the top 25. Minnesota was sitting with 1 loss up until this past weekend and they were barely ranked in one poll and unranked in the other. And their one loss was on the road against a top 10 team. Schools like Minnesota or Indiana have the kind of seasons that MSU or Ole Miss are enjoying right now and instantly everyone realizes that the conference is having a down year. Ole Miss and MSU do it... "WOW THOSE ARE SOME DOGGONE GOOD TEAMS RIGHT THERE I TELL YOU WHAT! PAWWWWWLLLLLLL!"

Everyone talks about A&M more because of Manziel and because they beat Bama their first year in the conference but Mizzou won their fucking division last season. That program hadn't been relevant since 2007 when they shit the bed in the Big 12 title game allowing OSU to swoop into the national title game.

If Mizzou had won that game, they would have played OSU in NC game that year.

If WVU had won their game, then they would have played OSU in NC game that year.

Had both Mizzou and WVU won their games, then they would have played each other for NC game that year, IIRC. I think Mizzou lost to Oklahoma in B12 championship game that year (and I expected them to lose that) and WVU lost to Pitt in the Backyard Brawl (which I did not see coming at all).

I remember watching those games at Champps and thinking that we just needed either Mizzou or WVU to lose and we were golden. Of course, both of them shit the bed and we were left to get our asses handed to us again by a fucking SEC team.