College Football Thread v5.0

bicranium

Also, starting to see posts pop up on other OSU websites with people just now realizing that CBS Sports Network isn't just regular CBS. Few things are able to amuse and annoy me as much as completely unaware OSU fans during the season.

You may or may not have saved my cookout this Saturday. I owe you a beer.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may or may not have saved my cookout this Saturday. I owe you a beer.

Haha... glad I could help.

I'm not sure what I would have done. I switched to DirecTV in the spring for completely unrelated reasons. Seems every cable company in the area offers CBSSN except for WOW. Which is what I switched from. Just got lucky since no one knew it would be on CBSSN until a month or so ago.

Pretty lame of CBS to do really. Using their rare shot at an OSU game as a bargaining chip for a company like WOW to maybe hop on board or at least to get people to switch to a company that carries them already.

As for actual football stuff, should have the depth chart at some point today. I guess at that point we'll know the OL.

JT will have to really light it up this year for there to be a real competition in the spring. As ordinary as some of you want to believe Braxton is... he isn't. But he's human. Not really doing any real football for over a year will be interesting. Plus, you've gotta see if this surgery takes since the last one obviously didn't. Dr. James Andrews (yes, that one) is doing this surgery. So you hope that he's 100% by the time spring ball rolls around and you take a look at him.

There is a guy on another forum saying things like

Meyer is smarter than that, and even thought he may use Miller, he won't start him at QB unless JTB completely bombs, which I highly doubt will happen.

As I said, unless Barrett implodes, this is his team for the next few years.

The ONLY way Miller starts is if JT Barrett fails miserably, and losing a couple of game (ie MSU and a bowl game) does not meet this criteria...and fwiw, I don't think Brax is coming back, regardless of what he's saying now..jmo

What a complete dope. This is also the annoying type of OSU fan that constantly posts things like "Go Bucks" in response to threads and posts 5-10 day old 11 Warriors links.

Edit for another

...now, on to the JT Era (and I don't mean The Senator)

After the 2009 Sugar Bowl he posted that he couldn't wait for Pryor to leave and for the Miller era to begin

This is the type of guy that makes people hate OSU fans

Personally I think a 5th year Braxton would be Meyer's wet dream, even if he is coming off of injury. He should be throwing by the first of the year. Spend all of this season with the virtual QB headset thing, another session with Whitfield in the spring, another year of spring ball.

Ask her why the idiots we talked to yesterday cant figure out why we arent getting CBS sports in HD, even though we have all the other channels on that tier AND have it in SD

If it's a 4 digit channel it's HD, for us 1322 is CBSSD which is their HD version. I'm watching the Boomer/Carton show right now and it's in HD fwiw

If it's a 4 digit channel it's HD, for us 1322 is CBSSD which is their HD version. I'm watching the Boomer/Carton show right now and it's in HD fwiw

Im old Insight, it's 968. I get NFL Network, NBC Sports, etc, which is on the same tier, but CBS Sports HD says Not Authorized

Personally I think a 5th year Braxton would be Meyer's wet dream, even if he is coming off of injury. He should be throwing by the first of the year. Spend all of this season with the virtual QB headset thing, another session with Whitfield in the spring, another year of spring ball.

12 month recovery. Doubt he's throwing by the first. Maybe a wiffle ball.

12 month recovery. Doubt he's throwing by the first. Maybe a wiffle ball.

Everything I have read says 4-6 no movement, then another 4-6 rehab, then you can start activity again. 12 months to full go sounds on the high side for a world class athlete. I'd put money on his full participation in spring ball but with no contact.

I have heard full year recovery as well... I am on the side of him not returning next year too, he may say one thing right now, but how much longer is his body going to hold up for him. He will be already be graduated, go get any/all money you can while you're able to. The only reason I see him coming back is if he absolutely has it set in his mind that he wants a national championship.

I love Braxton, but I'm telling you that if JT Barrett has a stellar season, Braxton isn't coming back. He won't want to share time (I don't blame him) and he will see that his shelf life may not be as long as he hopes.

This coming from a total non-douche fan. If Barrett knocks it out of the park, Braxton will declare and go late 2nd/early 3rd round. Nothing wrong with that at all, I've truly enjoyed him being a Buckeye. If we get him for another season, hell yeah. If not, I'll root for him in the NFL with no hard feelings!

I like Braxton, i think he's better than a lot of QB's. However, i don't think he is a 2nd-3rd rounder. Even if he left at the end of last year. Let alone coming off of a serious injury and not playing ball for a whole year. 4-6th round gamble for athleticism IMHO.

He NEEDS to come back and have a STELLAR year to make any real money in the NFL.

I like Braxton, i think he's better than a lot of QB's. However, i don't think he is a 2nd-3rd rounder. Even if he left at the end of last year. Let alone coming off of a serious injury and not playing ball for a whole year. 4-6th round gamble for athleticism IMHO.

He NEEDS to come back and have a STELLAR year to make any real money in the NFL.

This, or prepare to be switched to running back. He wouldn't be the first qb that has had to change position at the next level in order to make a living.

Braxton will declare and go late 2nd/early 3rd round.

I may be the biggest Braxton supporter here as evidenced by this thread and the last one but there's no way he'd go 2nd/3rd. That was an extremely optimistic thought if he would have come out last year but now after 2 shoulder surgeries and a whole year off football... he'd be extremely lucky to go before the 5th round.

As for his injury I know I've seen 9-12 months which sucks because I was hoping for a similar timeline to what LJ said. If he could somehow be ready for spring ball then I don't see him being stopped from re-taking the starting job but 9-12 months means he'd basically be exactly where he was heading into fall camp this year except with ~20 months separating him from his last game instead of 8.

BTW his surgery is done and Andrews said it went well...

http://i.imgur.com/obrpVgY.png

What I'm wondering is why Andrews didn't do the first surgery and where everything went wrong between the surgery in February and his tearing the labrum last week. There were reports that Braxton was throwing fine over the summer with his WR's in their 7 on 7 type stuff then they have the "setback" early in camp with the unexpected "soreness" and eventually his arm just more or less exploded.

As for his injury I know I've seen 9-12 months which sucks because I was hoping for a similar timeline to what LJ said. .

9-12 is for full contact from what i understand. He will be throwing long long before that. He should be throwing a nerf ball in 12 weeks.

I wondered why Andrews didn't do the first surgery as well after hearing he was doing the second one. It's great to be optimistic about him returning next year, but I just don't see it happening. I think deep down Urban knows he isn't coming back either, thus part of the reason he was named a team captain (him being on the sideline on road games should help JT this year with questions). If he does come back, then well he comes back and the qb battle begins (assuming Barrett does just fine this year)

9-12 is for full contact from what i understand. He will be throwing long long before that. He should be throwing a nerf ball in 12 weeks.

I guess that makes sense. I just remember seeing the 9-12 months the first time and thinking... well shit. But they use the 9-12 months thing for ACL's and whatnot as well in football or basketball and we've seen guys go out there and play after 9-10 and do fine. So I'll be optimistic that the timeline you posted ends up being accurate. He'd be ahead of where he was this year if he was able to get spring ball and everything in.

Everyone has been pointing out how "loaded" OSU will be in 2015 if Braxton comes back but I haven't really looked at it because I'm still hopeful that the team can do some big things in 2014. Taking a look at it now...

QB - Braxton Miller

RB - Zeke, Dunn, Samuel, Ball (only lose Rod Smith)

WR - Thomas, C. Smith, Dontre, Marshall, Dixon, etc., etc. (lose Spencer and D. Smith)

TE - Vannett, Baugh (lose Heuerman)

OL - Decker, Elflein, Boren, Price, Farris, Underwood, Lisle, then a bunch of current underclassmen (lose Baldwin)

DL - Bosa, Washington, Spence (could leave), Schutt, Carter, Hill, etc. (lose Bennett)

LB - Perry, Lee, Raekwon slips right in for Curtis Grant

DB - Apple, Conley, Reeves, Bell, Powell, Burrows (lose Grant)

So the biggest losses probably end up being on the D again (Bennett and Doran Grant, possibly Spence) with the perceived ability to reload pretty adequately.

Regardless of who is at QB in 2015 that's going to be a really, really good team. Either Barrett with a year under his belt of Braxton returning.

But OSU is still winning everything this year too so whatever. :gabe:

I love Braxton, but I'm telling you that if JT Barrett has a stellar season, Braxton isn't coming back. He won't want to share time (I don't blame him) and he will see that his shelf life may not be as long as he hopes.

This. I love the guy too, but it's just not happening unless JT just can't handle the team. You would wreck JT's confidence to yank him in his second year, heisman trophy candidate or not.

And against Florida State, they likely would have won. Their defense completely keeps an offense like theirs in check.

I wouldn't say that, they have a good defense last year.. but not that good. For them to beat the noles, their defense has to stop FSU from scoring, which I don't think it's possible. And FSU had a great defense last year, which definitely would have kept MSU's offense in check.

So any predictions for Saturday? Really, no prediction is absurd as nobody really knows what to expect. Navy is a solid team though and I could see them winning 8-9 games this year. I still think we take care of business, but we will see some growing pains. With that being said...I'm thinking

Ohio State 27

Navy 17