Making your house energy efficient

Rustlestiltskin

What's everybody's take on this?

What steps are you doing to make your house more efficient?

Aside from installing and running a wood burning furnace in the winter to keep the electric furnace from kicking on I don't really have any other energy efficient items in the house. I'm just now getting around to starting small and getting light bulbs switched out to led. I know my old LCD & plasma tv's aren't helping the cause either. I also plan on changing out some windows and getting a better/newer thermostat for the house. My house was built in the 80's btw so I've been replacing stuff with newer items over the years.

Let's hear what everybody is doing to promote being more efficient and also share some tips/ideas for the rest of us. This can apply to saving electric, water, etc.

Edited by Rustlestiltskin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few threads on this now somewhere on here.

We went with a new engery efficient Trane electric heater and AC this year. It has helped tons. We have also insulated a little more to help as well. With programable thermastat. $550 AEP rebate

Water heaters are over looked often as using energy all the time. We went with a GE Geospring programable water heater. It uses air temps and a heat pump to heat the water. It's like going from 45 lights on in the house, to 4 lights on. It saves that much power. Also, it lets you program it for if you are out of town, so it isn't heating when not needed. $500 AEP rebate, $350 tax credit, so in the end it was $150.

All light bulbs are the energy efficient ones.

Windows and doors are the next big thing for us. They are just too damn expensive for what I want to do now.

I have a few threads on this now somewhere on here.

We went with a new engery efficient Trane electric heater and AC this year. It has helped tons. We have also insulated a little more to help as well. With programable thermastat. $550 AEP rebate

Water heaters are over looked often as using energy all the time. We went with a GE Geospring programable water heater. It uses air temps and a heat pump to heat the water. It's like going from 45 lights on in the house, to 4 lights on. It saves that much power. Also, it lets you program it for if you are out of town, so it isn't heating when not needed. $500 AEP rebate, $350 tax credit, so in the end it was $150.

All light bulbs are the energy efficient ones.

Windows and doors are the next big thing for us. They are just too damn expensive for what I want to do now.

How do you get the AEP rebate?

Forms are on the website. Send in info. One paid really quick. The other was a home inspection. They saw it was all hooked up right and it was what we said it was, no issues.

The water heater is a great idea and I didn't even think of it yet :( . I know that ours is ancient so i'll look into replacing it. Thanks.

Doors/windows.

Our 1960s house had Andersen wood windows of a newer vintage, but had two sliding patio doors that were single-pane aluminum units that must've been original. There was a security system sticker on one of them with a police car of that era...and the company folded in the '80s :lol: They were so cold, I took pictures from 2013 of frost on the INSIDE of the glass. :eek:

After the fire remediation, we got new double-pane sliding patio doors with vinyl exterior. Needless to say, our gas bill went down by a couple hundred a quarter, and that was with the thermostat turned UP from it being so cold.

Covering vents and closing doors in rooms we really don't use often has made a huge impact this summer, plus the house felt cooler.

We do this too. Make sure not to cover the return vents. Usually they are wall mounted, but we have 2 that are floor vents. Our HVAC guy was telling us about people covering them, not knowing it was the return.

We installed a tankless water heater but not so sure about that one.

Depends on what was replaced... replacing a 200g electric heater installed by the power company 30 years ago during the age of electric everything (a couple of which I saw while house shopping last year!) is probably a huge savings. Replacing a 40g natgas tank, probably not so much.

Depends on what was replaced... replacing a 200g electric heater installed by the power company 30 years ago during the age of electric everything (a couple of which I saw while house shopping last year!) is probably a huge savings. Replacing a 40g natgas tank, probably not so much.

haha my parents still have their rental hot water tank and refuse to do anything about it. Its like a 120 gallon stone line all electric tank

Not to thread jack, but are you typically allowed to put a programmable thermostat in a rental? Seems like a pretty sound investment.

Ask your landlord if they will do it. I don't want my renters trying to replace or fix anything without my prior approval. Anything other than fixing a hole in the wall or paint, I tell them that they cannot. I would do something like put in a new thermostat.

haha my parents still have their rental hot water tank and refuse to do anything about it. Its like a 120 gallon stone line all electric tank

LOL this is exactly what I have. A HUGEEEEE 120-200g electric hot water tank from the stone age. I know replacing this should save me tons. This will be my next point of attack.

LOL this is exactly what I have. A HUGEEEEE 120-200g electric hot water tank from the stone age. I know replacing this should save me tons. This will be my next point of attack.

As much as my dad is always trying to cut monthyl expenses due to being retired, he really refuses to acknowlege that replacing this monstrosity would save him probably $50 per month.

This is all I have been doing since I bought my house. Replace all your windows including the basement with glass blocks. If you can't afford that get thin styrofoam insulation and put in the windows. Seal this with the plastic weather covering like that picture above. Also another cheap repair go buy a can of "Great Stuff". It is Insulating Foam in a can. Any place that has a gap or a hole that lets in air spray this in it. Once it hardens you can shave it down with a knife. Good places to do this are outside your house, gutters, under your deck, inside entry door frames, attic, and so on. Go to town it is cheap. Get a programmable thermostat. Mine can program 4 different times of the day and each day of the week. 1st time is wake up, 2nd go to work, 3rd is home from work, 4th is going to sleep. Do you really need the house to be comfortable at 2am when you are asleep? Mine auto turns down a few degrees when I am either asleep or not home :)

Be careful with using a tankless water heater. The electric ones specifically pull LOTS of Watts when in use. Buying one is going to be 2 or 3 times more expensive than a normal tank heater. Will that be cheaper in the long run? You need to figure that out based on your water consumption for your family.

Ask your landlord if they will do it. I don't want my renters trying to replace or fix anything without my prior approval. Anything other than fixing a hole in the wall or paint, I tell them that they cannot. I would do something like put in a new thermostat.

Completely understand your thinking (and that you have to assume that everyone is dumb) but a thermostat replacement is pretty simple and straightforward, isn't it?

Completely understand your thinking (and that you have to assume that everyone is dumb) but a thermostat replacement is pretty simple and straightforward, isn't it?

It is very easy. Remove old from wall, remove color coded wires, install new one in reverse order.

Yes, to someone who knows what they are doing. If you are going from a mechanical to a digital, it may not be a wire swap replacement. If installed wrong it could damage the HVAC system. It's just not worth the hassle to let tenants do things like that in your unit