Poor mustang :(

Ryan218

Decided to take my car to lunch on Sunday. While driving down the road shifted into the next gear, let out of the clutch and started accelerating all of a sudden the right rear of car dropped and started bunching. All of a sudden the car darted right and I tried to correct but by this point the car already smacked the curb. Then spun me around and back to the left across 3 more lanes into a gaurd rail backwards. I feel devistated. I love this car and nothing fits right on it anymore. I can now stick my fingers in between the trunk and the hood gaps are off. The inside of the wheel well got really beat up.i know the rear suspension is fucked. As well as the rear end. By the time car slid backwards into gaurd rail I'd think it. Was at no more then 20mph but I fear he car may be bent down wards in the rear. Hit har enough it poped the corner of the front bumper off which I find weird.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-8.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-9.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-11.jpg

The axle shows sings of cracking and pits. And for some reason rust in the center. I know the axle broke and that's what caused all this.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-12.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-13.jpg

Bumpers did there job. Bounced right back into shape. Fear how the bumper ar may look.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-15.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-16.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-18.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-19.jpg

I know it could be worse but i feel gut punched

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF happened to cause this?

It looks like a multi-mode failure. The origin is near the top of the axle shaft in the third picture. Faint lines point to the failure origin. These faint lines are indicative of fatigue mode and the smoother fracture surface on the 1/3 outer radius of the axle shaft seems to be all fatigue.

The rough or pitted-looking area in the middle is caused by brittle fracture. The small spot of rust in the middle may be caused by flash rusting once it's exposed to the air/moisture. The rest didn't rust because, I suspect, gear oil covered the area almost immediately after failure.

The sequence is is initiated at the origin; there was probably a surface imperfection (a nick, a gouge, or any other crack-like feature caused during a manufacturing/assembly process). This creates a stress concentration area which caused fatigue to set in. After numerous cycling of acceleration and deceleration, the crack propagated within area of the smoother surface ring. Once the area was large enough, the last failure mode was brittle fracture which happened all at once. The remaining area was simply overstressed and aggravated by the sharp crack tips surrounding it.

This is a design of a semi-floating axle. In a full-floating axle, such axle shaft failure will not cause loss of control as the hub is retained by the axle housing/tube.

• Upvote 1

It looks like a multi-mode failure. The origin is near the top of the axle shaft in the third picture. Faint lines point to the failure origin. These faint lines are indicative of fatigue mode and the smoother fracture surface on the 1/3 outer radius of the axle shaft seems to be all fatigue.

The rough or pitted-looking area in the middle is caused by brittle fracture. The small spot of rust in the middle may be caused by flash rusting once it's exposed to the air/moisture. The rest didn't rust because, I suspect, gear oil covered the area almost immediately after failure.

The sequence is is initiated at the origin; there was probably a surface imperfection (a nick, a gouge, or any other crack-like feature caused during a manufacturing/assembly process). This creates a stress concentration area which caused fatigue to set in. After numerous cycling of acceleration and deceleration, the crack propagated within area of the smoother surface ring. Once the area was large enough, the last failure mode was brittle fracture which happened all at once. The remaining area was simply overstressed and aggravated by the sharp crack tips surrounding it.

This is a design of a semi-floating axle. In a full-floating axle, such axle shaft failure will not cause loss of control as the hub is retained by the axle housing/tube.

And here you have an engineer's explanation. When I look at the picture it looks like a defective axle, I doubt you were making more power then it should've been able to take.

Sorry about the car, glad you're okay, that sucks.

Decided to take my car to lunch on Sunday. While driving down the road shifted into the next gear, let out of the clutch and started accelerating all of a sudden the right rear of car dropped and started bunching. All of a sudden the car darted right and I tried to correct but by this point the car already smacked the curb. Then spun me around and back to the left across 3 more lanes into a gaurd rail backwards.

did the axle break causing you to crash, or did the car hit the curb and the axle broke?

:masturboy:

What does that even mean? Why would he not just say the axle broke and the wheel let go, if it was that obvious? i mean the tire is flat, did it cut a tire then smack into the curb? Did a control arm brake and cause the car to drop and dart in the curbs direction?

I don't understand how the wheel was able to come off with the brake rotor attached. I am assuming the hub let go too (obviously) but I don't have any idea how the brake rotor cleared the caliper to make its way out. Either way, looks like a fucked up series of events took place for this to happen this way. I hope your insurance will cover most (if not all) of the loss. Glad nobody was hurt though.

did the axle break causing you to crash, or did the car hit the curb and the axle broke?

Axle broke. Car darted right. I slammed the brakes and then smacked curb. That's when the rotor broke. Brake force holding the rotor. The axle broke and wheel rode on it for a few revolutions. Looks at the picture of the wheel. Inner wheel drum is gouged 1/8 inch deep all the way around from the dust shield if I'd think. And tire got cut up front either inner panels I believe. There all beat to shit.

I don't understand how the wheel was able to come off with the brake rotor attached. I am assuming the hub let go too (obviously) but I don't have any idea how the brake rotor cleared the caliper to make its way out. Either way, looks like a fucked up series of events took place for this to happen this way. I hope your insurance will cover most (if not all) of the loss. Glad nobody was hurt though.

Brake caliber holding the rotor when it darted right and smacked curb. That's when it broke.

And they are. Was looked at today. Damage estimate is already over 10k and that was before we noticed more hidden damage. Trunk pan is buckled as well. Taking the car to a shop today for it to be looked at.

And both 1/4 panels have damage. Driver side is dimpled in a few places and passenger side around the wheel arch are pushed out.

Please show me where it says the axle broke.

Im waiting.

What does that even mean? Why would he not just say the axle broke and the wheel let go, if it was that obvious? i mean the tire is flat, did it cut a tire then smack into the curb? Did a control arm brake and cause the car to drop and dart in the curbs direction?

Axle broke. Car darted right. I slammed the brakes and then smacked curb. That's when the rotor broke. Brake force holding the rotor. The axle broke and wheel rode on it for a few revolutions. Looks at the picture of the wheel. Inner wheel drum is gouged 1/8 inch deep all the way around from the dust shield if I'd think. And tire got cut up front either inner panels I believe. There all beat to shit.

Brake caliber holding the rotor when it darted right and smacked curb. That's when it broke.

And they are. Was looked at today. Damage estimate is already over 10k and that was before we noticed more hidden damage. Trunk pan is buckled as well. Taking the car to a shop today for it to be looked at.

And both 1/4 panels have damage. Driver side is dimpled in a few places and passenger side around the wheel arch are pushed out.

Makes scents now. Sounds totalled, buy it back for parts :)