College Football Thread v7.0

bicranium

Total defense Alabama is ranked 11th, Ohio State 19th.

SEC has 2 teams in the top 10 total defense, #8 LSU and #9 Florida.

B1G has 4 teams in the top 10 total defense, #2 Wisconsin, #3 Penn State, #7 Michigan State and #10 Michigan

WHERE IS YOUR PPG NOW JIVE?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total defense while can be impressive in paper doesn't tell the whole story of the game. Points is the deciding factor. There isn't style points in football. Look at auburn last night. They had like 630 total yardage but lost. Why Bama held them to quote a few field goals. So while Bama gave up a shit ton of yardage auburn couldn't comvert them Into touchdowns.

Five of the top 15 teams are sec teams with lowest opp ppg. B1g has two teams in penn st and wisky.

So while it's great in theory to say total defense omg b1g has four teams, it doesn't really mean shit.

I'm really disappointed JTB broke his ankle and won't play the rest of the year. Now when Whisky kicks your ass I am going to have to hear about OSU without their two starting QB's, and what shoulda coulda woulda happened if the team was healthy.

And if they make the playoffs and Bama dismantles them again with the same argument.

I'm really disappointed JTB broke his ankle and won't play the rest of the year. Now when Whisky kicks your ass I am going to have to hear about OSU without their two starting QB's, and what shoulda coulda woulda happened if the team was healthy.

And if they make the playoffs and Bama dismantles them again with the same argument.

as if this isn't a valid argument...

Total defense while can be impressive in paper doesn't tell the whole story of the game. Points is the deciding factor. There isn't style points in football. Look at auburn last night. They had like 630 total yardage but lost. Why Bama held them to quote a few field goals. So while Bama gave up a shit ton of yardage auburn couldn't comvert them Into touchdowns.

Five of the top 15 teams are sec teams with lowest opp ppg. B1g has two teams in penn st and wisky.

So while it's great in theory to say total defense omg b1g has four teams, it doesn't really mean shit.

So how do you account for defensive and special teams touchdowns? To your logic, that means that teams defense is worse because their offense threw a pic 6, or their special teams allowed a touchdown? Do you see why total yards is a better measuring tool?

Fumble return for int and int return for TD basically all of college football is tied :lol: nobody really excels or stands out in that category. Washington and Kentucky lead the way in it I case you were wondering.

Yeah, but some teams turn the ball over more and put their defense at a disadvantage

I think you might have played to much fantasy football. The only stay at the end of the game that's relavent is points. There are plenty of times a team has more total yards and still loses.

Starting field position and turnovers will depend and affect total yards.

I think you might have played to much fantasy football. The only stay at the end of the game that's relavent is points. There are plenty of times a team has more total yards and still loses.

Starting field position and turnovers will depend and affect total yards.

Well, the majority of experts use total yards as a scale of total defense vs points allowed. How long have you been a football fan? I think you should stick to being a troll bandwagon lol

Looks at my post regarding scoring defense. That's how many TD's they have allowed all season. It somewhat correlates to total yards.

You keep repeating yourself and offer no facts. Provide some kind of arguement to help me see where you are coming from. Plenty of experts don't mean shit when I am looking at stats and numbers here.

Looks at my post regarding scoring defense. That's how many TD's they have allowed all season. It somewhat correlates to total yards.

You keep repeating yourself and offer no facts. Provide some kind of arguement to help me see where you are coming from. Plenty of experts don't mean shit when I am looking at stats and numbers here.

Total defense relates to how many yards the DEFENSE allowed per game. Scoring defense is how many points the TEAM has allowed per game.

If you are evaluating a defense, it is pretty self explanatory why experts uses total defense as a measure rather than scoring defense.

I understand the difference.

Ok so the B1G has four yes 4 teams in the top 50 in total offense. Wisconsin(20), Ohio state(11), Michigan st(14) and Nebraska(33). So while the B1G might have 4 in total defense it's because the B1G doesn't put up any offense :lol:

The Sec has 7 teams in top 50.

The big 12 has a shitload of teams in total offense. That conference must not play any defense.