College Football Thread v7.0

bicranium

What I found refreshing this year that would have plagued the BCS system was the influx of retarded teams like Marshall that work their way up the polls and into the BCS simply as a product of not losing. Remember all the years of having to hear whining about Boise State?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saban wasn't going to be the coach of Alabama. Meyer was retired. And Tress had no idea about tatgate. Not that I buy into the rumors, just saying.

In regards to the 6 or 8 team format being better, like I previously stated, it removes the human element for the best teams in all 5 power conferences. Sure, the at large would still be decided upon in some subjective fashion, but there would be little conference gripes, just single institutions themselves, since all conferences would be fairly, and rightfully represented. The lower (higher) you go in the rankings the less logically sound ones argument becomes for inclusion. Someone is always going to whine. Better those whiners be 9 and 10, then 5 and 6. Or even 3 or 4 in the old shit system. The balance is finding the right setup that keeps the regular season important, while providing teams a clear path to reach a NC. First being win your conference.

Clearly in the case of the ONE TRUE CHAMPIONS conference they would be forced to submit a single champion, with the head to head going to Baylor.

What I found refreshing this year that would have plagued the BCS system was the influx of retarded teams like Marshall that work their way up the polls and into the BCS simply as a product of not losing. Remember all the years of having to hear whining about Boise State?

Remember Boise State winning BCS games lol. Hell Boise is 10-5 in Bowl games and 4 of their losses are by 6 points or less haha.

Auburn, IIRC, was not ranked in the preseason during that year. FSU is the defending NC. Not the same, no?

Also, one more comment on the Trees at ttun thing. I, personally, would be walking around with a haterade IV and sporting a year long chubby for The Game if Senator Tressel took that job.

Clearly in the case of the ONE TRUE CHAMPIONS conference they would be forced to submit a single champion, with the head to head going to Baylor.

Nope, joke's on you: Big XII would send both TCU and Baylor to the playoff, making a Devastator-like 187-man intermingled roster featuring awesome offense sets, like Bryce Petty handing off to Boykin who then throws a pass back to Petty.

Remember Boise State winning BCS games lol. Hell Boise is 10-5 in Bowl games and 4 of their losses are by 6 points or less haha.

Yeah, but remember the teams Boise State played during the regular season to make it to a BCS bowl? Yeah, no one else does either, but they played teams like Groveport Madison Middle School South.

Auburn, IIRC, was not ranked in the preseason during that year. FSU is the defending NC. Not the same, no?

So that matters? Auburn was an undefeated, power 5, conference champion, by your own words that is what it takes to be top 2 in the BCS. Yet there they were, on the outside looking in as two 1 loss teams faced off against one another. FWIW Auburn was preseason #17 that season...

fun fact tuesday

Ohio State has scored on 5 of Cardale Jones last 6 complete series (played start to finish) the one they didnt score was the victory formations against Michigan.

On 17 complete series that Cardale has played, OSU has punted once

Yeah, but remember the teams Boise State played during the regular season to make it to a BCS bowl? Yeah, no one else does either, but they played teams like Groveport Madison Middle School South.

Remember all those 4 and 5 star kids Boise State recruited during those years? Yeah me either haha

Remember all those 4 and 5 star kids Boise State recruited during those years? Yeah me either haha

Remember all those times the BCS used recruiting class rankings to determine bowl eligibility? Wait, no, they used other criteria, didn't they? Thought so.

Nope, joke's on you: Big XII would send both TCU and Baylor to the playoff, making a Devastator-like 187-man intermingled roster featuring awesome offense sets, like Bryce Petty handing off to Boykin who then throws a pass back to Petty.

The Offenseocalypse.

We are not ready.

So that matters? Auburn was an undefeated, power 5, conference champion, by your own words that is what it takes to be top 2 in the BCS. Yet there they were, on the outside looking in as two 1 loss teams faced off against one another. FWIW Auburn was preseason #17 that season...

Josh: 1

DJ: -1,692 (most of your points were lost because you refuse to quote people properly)

Remember all those times the BCS used recruiting class rankings to determine bowl eligibility? Wait, no, they used other criteria, didn't they? Thought so.

Never said they did, but your argument is they play against nobody, my argument is they play on a level playing field of their regular season competition. Then once they get to a bowl game, they play above their competition in most cases.

Fun fact, OSU is 4-0 under Meyer in games they are the underdog.

Were talking 2004/2005, right? Yes, where you are ranked at the start of the season matters, absolutely. (Which is one more reason I think that teams should remain unranked until week 8)

IIRC, there were 3 undefeated teams that year. Auburn, Boise St., and (Urban Meyers) Utah. Also, USC had just been left out the previous year, even though they had probably earned a chance to play. I'd love to be able to say that these things happen in a vacuum, but they don't. I will stand by my statement that an undefeated, defending national champion FSU, having won 29 straight games (albeit in ugly fashion) would NOT be sitting out of the NC game if we were still in the BCS era.

I think we can all agree that what we have now is better. But it's still not enough.

Never said they did, but your argument is they play against nobody, my argument is they play on a level playing field of their regular season competition. Then once they get to a bowl game, they play above their competition in most cases.

Fun fact, OSU is 4-0 under Meyer in games they are the underdog.

Yes, but the tallest midgets are still midgets. AMIRITE?

For the record, I agree with you that Boise played over their heads (no [continuation] pun intended) in the BCS games. However, in a one-game scenario, that's possible. It's much more difficult to do when week in and week out you're playing high levels of competition. You agree with me there, right?

Also, awesome fact about being underdogs.

Were talking 2004/2005, right? Yes, where you are ranked at the start of the season matters, absolutely. (Which is one more reason I think that teams should remain unranked until week 8)

IIRC, there were 3 undefeated teams that year. Auburn, Boise St., and (Urban Meyers) Utah. Also, USC had just been left out the previous year, even though they had probably earned a chance to play.

I think we can all agree that what we have now is better. But it's still not enough.

Oklahoma was also undefeated that year - and went on to get manhandled by USC in the title game. I suspect Auburn would have gotten jacked just as badly; little crying War Eagles should be thankful they got left out of the title game.

Yes, but the tallest midgets are still midgets. AMIRITE?

For the record, I agree with you that Boise played over their heads (no [continuation] pun intended) in the BCS games. However, in a one-game scenario, that's possible. It's much more difficult to do when week in and week out you're playing high levels of competition. You agree with me there, right?

Also, awesome fact about being underdogs.

I do agree, I just think that if Boise was given the same sort of talent to work with as power 5 conferences they would be able to compete with those teams week in and week out as well. They are probably the only school from a non power 5 conference that I would ever give so much love to. Outside of them, there hasn't been a school in a non power 5 that year in and year out wins 10 games and a bowl game that I can think of.

Looking at stuff from the season Auburn was left out and found this little tidbit

"Likely 4 team playoff: USC vs. Utah; Oklahoma vs. Auburn."

Likely victor: Utah, because USC, Oklahoma, and Auburn "didn't really want to be there."

:gabe:

I do agree, I just think that if Boise was given the same sort of talent to work with as power 5 conferences they would be able to compete with those teams week in and week out as well. They are probably the only school from a non power 5 conference that I would ever give so much love to. Outside of them, there hasn't been a school in a non power 5 that year in and year out wins 10 games and a bowl game that I can think of.

Isn't Peterson at Washington now? It will be interesting to see what he can do with them in a few years time.

Retarded, though. Dude really could have had a job at a much better school than Washington.

My bad, I thought Oklahoma had lost the conference championship game that year and still made it in to the NCG. Regardless, there was a 1 loss team in there ahead of undefeated Auburn. So to say FSU would for sure be in the NCG is not 100% fact. It does make for a good conversation/argument however.

TCU won a lot of games, didn't they? They are the only other team that comes to mind.

Retarded, though. Dude really could have had a job at a much better school than Washington.

He passed up USC. I put that as probably my top college football job, or maybe #2 (after Texas). Apparently, it wasn't on the top of his list, and he neglected to consult me before turning down the Trojans.