Cars and Coffee Crash

Linn1647545492

not sure if this was a serious question or not...I didn't think it "snapped" out quickly, just poor driving.

think road crown and rwd car.

It's a serious question - I have owned and driven several high powered RWD vehicles and have beat on them in a straight line like that countless times and never had one step out like that. Maybe it is just me?

A stock one, which is not a fast car in the grand scheme of things.

They are very similar but the M4 has made more I think 380-425whp and similar torque..

But remember to us that have owned and raced fast vehicles it doesn't seem like much. To an average person that hasn't, they may as well be driving a rocket ship if they don't know basic car control.

Comparing it to cars from just 10-15+ years ago. That new M4 would be one of the fastest at that point for a stock vehicle. Now it's just meh...a daily driver... :lolguy:

Point is, cars are getting a LOT faster and average drivers are only getting WORSE. Technology and nanny driver aids don't teach regular Joe or help them IMO..

It's a serious question - I have owned and driven several high powered RWD vehicles and have beat on them in a straight line like that countless times and never had one step out like that. Maybe it is just me?

You've never had one start to yaw at all? That was a pretty long event with basically 0 correction, steering or throttle. It maybe even sounded like to engine spun up, maybe from lost traction, or maybe from increased TH. I'd be really surprised if it hasn't happened to you, you just felt the car starting to yaw and gave it a little steering or TH correction before it got out of control.

Maybe I am underestimating my driving talent ;). More likely I am over estimating his skills. I was just surprised it stepped out like that and stayed that out of control at that speed. It must be due to just a complete lack of a reaction.

isn't that the new 'parallel parking assist' mode?

that car IS fast on the grand scheme of things. the term 'grand scheme', means to take all things into account. meaning, to take all other cars into account. i don't have a specific number to quote, but i imagine that car being faster than 95% of all other cars on the road at any given moment.

i haven't seen the jalopnik article, but i give the guy props for at least coming out and trying to explain himself. i would have sold the car off immediately, never to be driven on public roads again.

everyone thinks they are a professional driver. i've taken my vette out in a huge parking lot and practiced drifting, donuts, etc etc---it was a blast. i also USED TO do huge burnouts up my driveway. i have a 300' driveway that goes up a hill and curves to the left. i can rememer the one time i shut all traction control and stabilitrak off my vette and decided to do a driveway burnout. my kids were up by the garage, ex-wife was doing who knows what in the garage. i ended up getting sideways in a hurry, over-corrected, and ended up 50' into the neighbor's front yard. nothing was damaged, a few marks were seen in the grass, and i missed a 8" diameter tree by 5 feet. the ex didn't see it, neighbors had no idea. only the kids saw it.

to this day, the kids still think it was::

1)done on purpose

2)the most awesome thing they've ever seen done with a car

they still ask me to do it again when i go out in the vette. the point being, everyone has likely done something insanely dumb in a car---this guy just did it in front of a ton of people

story

Had you read what he actually wrote, you'd think different. The guy is clearly a massive nozzle, with a severe case of illusory superiority because he did a track day or two.

For instance if we compare your tale to his, you see the clear line of delineation being who was actually responsible for the vehicle, oneself, or every possible mechanical/situational/failure/gremlin, all happening at once and overcoming even the greatest driver of all times innate and learned abilities combined.

You, "I fucked up."

Him, "The wind hit me at a 29 degree angle right at the balance point of my vehicle, any other day I'd gently countersteer, provide some minor e-braking correction, while balancing a scolding hot cup of coffee between my giant balls, but there were some girlscouts marching hand in hand in the street just out of frame. I'm a fucking hero."

Had you read what he actually wrote, you'd think different. The guy is clearly a massive nozzle, with a severe case of illusory superiority because he did a track day or two.

For instance if we compare your tale to his, you see the clear line of delineation being who was actually responsible for the vehicle, oneself, or every possible mechanical/situational/failure/gremlin, all happening at once and overcoming even the greatest driver of all times innate and learned abilities combined.

You, "I fucked up."

Him, "The wind hit me at a 29 degree angle right at the balance point of my vehicle, any other day I'd gently countersteer, provide some minor e-braking correction, while balancing a scolding hot cup of coffee between my giant balls, but there were some girlscouts marching hand in hand in the street just out of frame. I'm a fucking hero."

lol

i'll have to read it.