Cars you'll probably die in (and cars you won't)

CRed05

http://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-ten-cars-youre-most-likely-to-die-driving-1682672803

The study was done on 2011 model cars.

Highest Death Rates (death's per million cars):

Kia Rio - 149

Nissan Versa sedan - 130

Hyundai Accent (four door) - 120

Chevrolet Aveo - 99

Hyundai Accent (two door) - 86

Chevrolet Camaro - 80

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew 4WD - 79

Honda Civic - 76

Nissan Versa hatchback - 71

Ford Focus - 70

Cars with a death rate of 0:

Audi A4

Honda Odyssey

Kia Sorento

Lexus RX350

Mercedes GL-Class

Subaru Legacy

Toyota Highlander

Toyota Sequoia

Volvo XC90

Honda Odyssey

/ Minivans

Have owned one and reports like this are exactly why we bought what we did. I did a lot of research and saw some badly wrecked minivans of both models and they did their job saving lives better than anyone could imagine. 5 star ratings for my family are worth setting a man-card aside for IMO. Love the value they bring and the safety they offer.

Edited by TTQ B4U

the article makes a good point about some of these: that cars like the honda civic just have sheer numbers on their side, there are more civics in the world than camaros and versas combined so there are likely to be more accidents.

the article makes a good point about some of these: that cars like the honda civic just have sheer numbers on their side, there are more civics in the world than camaros and versas combined so there are likely to be more accidents.

Many people use this logic but it doesn't explain, for example, the Lexus RX which is their best seller.

It's fun to discuss but of course, we all have to really look at the numbers and their context to define their overall meaning. As someone else mentioned, the Lexus probably isn't being driven by HS kids as much as a Civic, for example.

The Silverado numbers surprise me. I guess their are a lot of drunken cowboys flipping trucks...?

-Marc

Surprising to me as well after seeing the picture of the truck pinned between the 2 semi trailers and the guy walked away.

I know a lot of country people here in Texas who simply don't use their seat belts.

But this makes sense.

Honda Odyssesy does not surprise me one bit...but I'll bet a lot of dead drivers turned up nearby after crawling away, not wanting to be caught dead in one.

:lolguy:

This was my first thought too. all the "safe" vehicles are driven by older more mature people.

Does it really matter though? I'm sure these stats are taken from people who already got into an accident.

I could almost spin it the other way around, aren't younger people more likely to walk away from an accident than some old person with fragile bones :)