BMW M5 Folks: Come on in

Zx2guy19

At $26K I think you got a good deal. Did you get a warranty? is the car CPO?

Buddy of mine has an older DCT S4 that is out of warranty, just got handed a $4K bill to replace the clutch packs. You made the right choice sticking with a manual trans.

Warranty ends at 50k, not CPO (I actually don't think Germain does that).

The car runs flawless (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, ha), but I really am fully prepared for maintenance. I know these things take more work than a Honda Accord, and I'm ready for it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy of mine has an older DCT S4 that is out of warranty, just got handed a $4K bill to replace the clutch packs. You made the right choice sticking with a manual trans.

Haven't heard anything bad unless you miss the required service which on the DSG is at 40k miles. It's not that much $$ so just be sure to do it.

Warranty ends at 50k, not CPO (I actually don't think Germain does that).

The car runs flawless (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, ha), but I really am fully prepared for maintenance. I know these things take more work than a Honda Accord, and I'm ready for it.

Germain is not an Audi dealer so yeah they are not going to CPO your S4.

As a friend of mine has told me many many many many times - if you are going to own a used audi out of warranty, be ready to spend $1000 minimum on it at a moments notice. We've been really lucky with the wife's A3, but that is mostly because the car is a re-badged VW Mark V GTi and I handle most of the simple fault items like coil packs and cam followers myself.

Haven't heard anything bad unless you miss the required service which on the DSG is at 40k miles. It's not that much $$ so just be sure to do it.

as far as DSG or DCT or whatever the heck they call it - well it's still a car and sometimes things happen. My mother just had to replace a faulty flywheel in he E90 325xi because less than 10% of them crack and she just happened to win (lose?) the cracked flywheel lottery (BTW, a BMW flywheel for a MT AWD BMW is $1200 in parts alone). in the case of my buddy's car the thing is over 100K miles and let's be honest, clutches (even those actuated by robots) are still a maintenance wear item that needs replacement from time to time. While I personally think the DCT/DSG is pretty much how they should have been building automatic transmissions from the beginning they are a new technology and like any new tech there is an expensive learning curve usually paid for by the user. Everything I am hearing about these automatics is that while they are pretty reliable and good for high mileage, if something happens that requires removal from the car it will cost you the equivalent of a used Honda fit.

• 3 weeks later...

I, Zx2guy19, stand before you all to admit defeat.

Impulse buy, 100%.

Absolutely love the car- a serious piece of machine for a 30 mile round trip commute. Unfortunately, it's just that. With my 240 coming back to life, I am second guessing my decision to have such a high HP machine for a daily driver. I am getting goat raped on gas (premium) and driving the manual in traffic still sucks (my Accord I traded in was also a manual). I can rarely open the car up and just don't think I need it as a DD.

That said, I am going to keep the car until I can find an avenue to cut my losses with grace and try to pick up an A4- still a fun, luxurious car but about 8k less than the S4 and better gas mileage, cheaper insurance, etc.

As a disclaimer: this truly has nothing to do with money (not that anyone will believe me), but really just a need for a high HP DD vs. a want.

Again, you all win.

• Upvote 1

It was a long winter. We'll chalk it up to just that.

There are no winners in the game you think we're all playing...you just gotta do the best you can and learn from your experiences. :thumbup:

You'd think I would have learned by now- I seem to be snowballing my losses on cars, ha!

I can break even on this thing because of what I got it for. My loss would be my down payment (5k) but approximately 3k of that was my Accord value loss- so basically 2k if I sell for what I owe (and I'm pretty confident I could).

Thanks man...fuck it's such a nice car and so much fun to drive, it's just not practical for my commute/life.

Props for posting a follow-up.

Thanks man!

Got a Ctsv you can buy :) jk man

Haha you know I'm only selling the S4 so I don't have to keep hurting your feelings in that turd. :gabe:

Man that sucks to hear. Wish it worked out for you.

Definitely plan to stay in the Audi/VW scene- I really do love this car, just not practical. I feel like an A4 is much more practical for a DD.

Ok I'm going to be that asshole for a second:

Really, you are a car guy and are complaining the car is "too powerful"? What's next, complaining that you wouldn't sleep with a supermodel because her pussy smells like roses and is just too perfectly tight?

Here is what you need to do, Sell the 240, sell the audi, buy a prius. A beige one.

ok, friendly ribbing aside nobody wins in this situation except the next person buying the car from you (and to be honest selling so close to purchase - you probably aren't going to get near what you have in it as that's a red flag). I think you need to just spend more time driving it and see if it grows on you. Like 6 months at least. Change is sometimes off putting just because it feels unfamilar. You hated the accord because it wasn't fast enough so you bought the audi and now it's too fast? be careful what you wish for old chestnuts aside - maybe you just need to get used to the car.

ok, friendly ribbing aside nobody wins in this situation except the next person buying the car from you (and to be honest selling so close to purchase - you probably aren't going to get near what you have in it as that's a red flag). I think you need to just spend more time driving it and see if it grows on you. Like 6 months at least. Change is sometimes off putting just because it feels unfamilar. You hated the accord because it wasn't fast enough so you bought the audi and now it's too fast? be careful what you wish for old chestnuts aside - maybe you just need to get used to the car.

+1. Well put sir.

Ok I'm going to be that asshole for a second:

Really, you are a car guy and are complaining the car is "too powerful"? What's next, complaining that you wouldn't sleep with a supermodel because her pussy smells like roses and is just too perfectly tight?

Here is what you need to do, Sell the 240, sell the audi, buy a prius. A beige one.

As much as I'd love to agree, my fear is the depreciation with as much as I drive. One of the things I have going for me right now on the car is the "low" miles (52k)- I drive 1200 miles a month or so. People get fearful of foreign cars being anywhere near 80-90k from what I've seen (I'm sure some will disagree with that), so I feel like the longer I hang on the more I get fucked.

A Prius sounds appealing. Not too fast, not too slow. Great gas mileage, and great for the Earth. :dumb:

did you pay taxes on the Audi? I would imagine you would lose that as well. Thats another what $2300 or so?

I did- twas around 2k. That was factored into my loss.

Props to the honest review of all of this-my piece of advice.

I learned early on that young guys that drive ultra-nice cars are either-

1) Landed a great job out of college, drive an M5, and are not the type to be on any car forums anyways

2) On car forums bragging about their car that is almost 100% funded by Mom n Dad Motorsports, either directly or indirectly (and example of indirect would be they make the payments, but their parents cover rent/room/board/insurances)

3) Had a great financial head start in life, and where smart with their money moving forward (Again, thanks Mom n Dad!!)

4) Burred in Debt.

If you like many of us in our younger days who would have to accept #4 to drive a new high end car, then I always recommend buying cash or at least considering your liquid reserves. Cash is king. I am not saying don't finance a car, I am just saying if you live by the rule "If I cant buy it cash, I should not be buying it" then your financial life would get substantially better in a hurry.

I know you say its not about the money, but the fact that you are cool with a $2k tax loss on a purchase you admit you should not have made tells me otherwise-you should not be OK with that!!! That's $2600 or more in gross income, and if you making say 40k a year, that's most of one full month's pay. Thats a lot of Mc Doubles.

Good luck in the future-this post may be the start or a great turn around for you.

As much as I'd love to agree, my fear is the depreciation with as much as I drive. One of the things I have going for me right now on the car is the "low" miles (52k)- I drive 1200 miles a month or so.

1200 miles a month for 6 months would put you at 59,000 miles. It's a decent chunk but not so much that you would take 10's of thousands of dollars in a depreciation hit. Maybe the warranty is about to expire by then and that sux, in that case give it 2 more months.

People get fearful of foreign cars being anywhere near 80-90k from what I've seen (I'm sure some will disagree with that), so I feel like the longer I hang on the more I get fucked.

I don't know who would disagree with it, you aren't saying the cars actually get unreliable, just people get scared of them. I'm a huge german car fan and I don't think any 80-90K mile audi is worth more than a pack of gum and a hearty handshake.

The longer you hang on the more you get fucked is a pretty good assessment of all new-ish cars. it's not exclusive to your situation.

I'm still confused by what you mean it's too powerful though. It's a 330+ hp car, it's not like you are driving a 500hp ZL1 camaro everyday (FWIW the 6cyl camaro makes about the same HP as your audi). Is it hard to be smooth with? Is it just constantly tempting you and you can't go fast?

The fuel situation def blows but you'll get no sympathy from me, my jeep makes a whopping 195 hp and gets 18mpg highway on a good day.

Props to the honest review of all of this-my piece of advice.

I learned early on that young guys that drive ultra-nice cars are either-

1) Landed a great job out of college, drive an M5, and are not the type to be on any car forums anyways

2) On car forums bragging about their car that is almost 100% funded by Mom n Dad Motorsports, either directly or indirectly (and example of indirect would be they make the payments, but their parents cover rent/room/board/insurances)

3) Had a great financial head start in life, and where smart with their money moving forward (Again, thanks Mom n Dad!!)

4) Burred in Debt.

If you like many of us in our younger days who would have to accept #4 to drive a new high end car, then I always recommend buying cash or at least considering your liquid reserves. Cash is king. I am not saying don't finance a car, I am just saying if you live by the rule "If I cant buy it cash, I should not be buying it" then your financial life would get substantially better in a hurry.

I know you say its not about the money, but the fact that you are cool with a $2k tax loss on a purchase you admit you should not have made tells me otherwise-you should not be OK with that!!! That's $2600 or more in gross income, and if you making say 40k a year, that's most of one full month's pay. Thats a lot of Mc Doubles.

Good luck in the future-this post may be the start or a great turn around for you.

Thanks for the well thought out response. I don't really fall into any of those, although I do have a lot of debt (not burred, it's good debt). I think the thing that's to be said here is, my income is significantly higher than an average 25 year old. I don't mean to sound like a douche and act like money doesn't matter (trust me, it does- I totally fucked myself here), but I'm certainly not scraping by. Could that change at any moment in time? Absolutely- I get nervous around the first of the month every month- praying the stars align and all my tenants pay.

I do know I'll almost always lose on a car- at this point, it's about reducing that loss as much as I can. I know there will be pissed away dollars, and I accept that. But the less I can piss away that better (obviously).

1200 miles a month for 6 months would put you at 59,000 miles. It's a decent chunk but not so much that you would take 10's of thousands of dollars in a depreciation hit. Maybe the warranty is about to expire by then and that sux, in that case give it 2 more months.

I don't know who would disagree with it, you aren't saying the cars actually get unreliable, just people get scared of them. I'm a huge german car fan and I don't think any 80-90K mile audi is worth more than a pack of gum and a hearty handshake.

The longer you hang on the more you get fucked is a pretty good assessment of all new-ish cars. it's not exclusive to your situation.

I'm still confused by what you mean it's too powerful though. It's a 330+ hp car, it's not like you are driving a 500hp ZL1 camaro everyday (FWIW the 6cyl camaro makes about the same HP as your audi). Is it hard to be smooth with? Is it just constantly tempting you and you can't go fast?

The fuel situation def blows but you'll get no sympathy from me, my jeep makes a whopping 195 hp and gets 18mpg highway on a good day.

I guess I should have phrased it differently- the car isn't too fast, it's just not something I need for a DD. If this was my only fun car, I'd keep it. I've put a lot of years into my 240 and it's finally coming to fruition. I just have such a hard time throwing that all away. I didn't 3 weeks ago, but now that it's so close, I just can't let it go. There's also a lot of sentimental value with that car as well- long story.

What are the fuel mileage numbers, if you don't mind me asking.

I am averaging around 22mpg- I drive mostly highway. Bad? No. 8mpg less than my Accord and premium gas? Yes.

My decision to sell is based on cutting losses sooner rather than later. The longer I have the car, the less it's worth- I'm not sure I'm willing to take the chance. I probably won't list it for sale for at least another month, although if someone shows interest around what I'll be asking, I'll sell it asap.

Thanks for the "kind" words guys- again, I admit I fucked up.

I have a buddy who creeps on this page that advised against it too- Hi Adam. :)