BMW M5 Folks: Come on in

Zx2guy19

I am potentially looking at getting a new car in the next 6-12 months. I love my 2013 Accord and have considered keeping it, but it's piss slow (6 speed manual sport series) and I find myself underwhelmed in the fun department.

That said, I'm looking at a few usedcars around the 20-30k range, specifically ones that offer luxury and speed, such as the M5, E55, etc.

Anything I should look out for in the 2006-2010 range for the BMW's, and if I should run from them, what are some other cars in that price range and that type?

My one thing: it HAS to be 4 door, no exception. Auto or Manual, at this point in my life, I really don't care.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine is made for the smg tranny. The manual feels lackluster and doesn't "fit" as well. The smg is clunky. I hate it. It's brutsl to daily. Gas mileage is awful. The repair the clutches and solenoid in smg is like 5k.

Other the. That they are amazing cars.

If you don't mind an older sedan the E39 M5 is rock solid. 400hp and a smooth 6 speed.

You couldn't pay me in gold plated pussy to own a bmw with an SMG trans. Ask any e46 M3 owner why.

I'm a bit of a wonk only because I owned one but....you could probably find a low mile E34 M5 for what you are looking to pay for one of the awful V10 models. Handbuilt, rock solid, it's not 400 hp but it's quick enough and if it really is clean it's a really balanced driving experience. I had a 1990 in oxford green and it was a great car. Plus it won't depreciate.

That being said the E39 M5 is a fantastic car as well. again you are giving up some of the fancier BMW toys to come out in the last 10 years but the E39 M5 is one of the all time greats. There is a reason they are still $20K for clean ones where as the M5 that came after you can pick up for the price of a used condom.

I hate to say it but it seems like right now for used gentleman express 4 door sedans the best value seems to be the Gen 1 and Gen 2 CTS-V cars. I mean, it's kinda hard to screw up something with the simplicity of an anvil.

have you considered a 2007-2011 BMW M3 Sedan? Years ago I worked the CTS-V challenge as the photographer for Jalopnik. I got to ride in all sorts of hotted up 4 doors around Monticello including the CTS-V, M5, M3, Pontiac G8, Lancer Evo, Jaguar XF (I think it was an R), etc... The car I wanted to like the most but ended up liking the least was the M5 (a 2008 model). The car I wanted to hate but ended up liking the most was the CTS-V (esp when caddy's driver for hire took me down the back straight at 155mph in a car with no cage) but the two cars I couldn't have cared about before but suddenly liked very much were the G8 GT and the BMW M3 sedan. I honestly would own a G8 if I didn't loath automatics with a vengeance and can't afford a GXP. But the BMW did the best job of almost catching the CTS-V during the challenge.

I didn't get a ride in the Audi S5 that had shown up. Jack Baruth brought it and for some reason there was some flap about it not being a 4 door or something and he and my paths didn't cross that day.

anyway, that's what I would look for: G8 GT, E90 M3 sedan, maybe even a lancer Evo.

That being said the E39 M5 is a fantastic car as well. again you are giving up some of the fancier BMW toys to come out in the last 10 years but the E39 M5 is one of the all time greats. There is a reason they are still $20K for clean ones where as the M5 that came after you can pick up for the price of a used condom.

One of the greatest vehicles I have ever driven. Limited electronic intrusion, true six-speed, and that classic look.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/BMW/M5/Columbus+OH-43221?endYear=2004&makeCode1=BMW&mmt=%5BBMW%5BM5%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=M5&searchRadius=500&showcaseOwnerId=66537&startYear=1998&Log=0

Brad - I think you have to strongly consider the move that Mike just made in looking at an E55. They made the 55 through '06. In your price range I'd take a top tier E55 over E63 in the Mercedes line.

FWIW, the SMG updates in the M5 make it leagues better than some of the early iterations in the E46 cars but like Geeto67 I'd not ever buy a BMW SMG car. If you are dead set on E60 M5 hold out for a 6 speed.

We compared E55 / E63 / E60 M5 extensively 6 years ago now when we purchased our E55. If it would have been just ME making the decision I would have paid the premium and purchased the M5 over the other two (6-speed only) but there were too many other things going for the E55 and it was a relative "bargain" of the bunch.

CTS-V is a contender, but one I can't speak much on to help out here. I think the Gen I CTS-V is outclassed by all of the above and more a competitor to the E39 M5.

DO NOT get the M5 unless you go even further back, like a 2003 M5. I cant tell you how many times I had to work with customers that had clutch issues, SMG issues, brake costs etc that came along with the car. Personally, the E55 just felt faster too.

It seems like E55's are the thing to do right now, but I would look at an S4 as well.

So many "E's" thrown around haha, it's hard to keep track of all these gen's.

I did forget about an S4, which is strange to me that I didn't think about it because my favorite make of cars is Audi. Anything to watch out for on the B7's? IIRC, B7 is 2008+, the V6 Supercharged ones.

Good to know about the M5- this is exactly why I post this stuff here. I definitely don't know much about the 'higher end' cars, so keep this stuff coming!

B7 is 2004 to 2008

B8 is 2008 to present

B7 is the 4.2L v8. Not a terrible engine but the whole chain thing has people running scared.

B8 is the 3.0L V6 with a roots supercharger (not a turbo).

Then it's a B8- I know the B5 is the "bi" turbo, but I really do lose track of all these B's and E's and shit. I just said "2010 S4" haha

I'm with you....until just recently when I began driving cars I didn't know what the differences were either. I just knew the new SC S4 is what I was after. 2013+ for me as I want the B8.5 :fa: To me I just want the newest I can get really. Don't care about what it's called.

^^ this. Loving the feel of it and modded ones like what Jone's had are relatively easy to do and maintain.

Anyone know an effective way to break a lease early? :)

Trade it, sell it, wreck the shit out of it :gabe:

True story, years ago I had a neighbor fuck with a gas line in the parking lot of our apartments and ended up burning it. I only knew because I saw him and he "confessed" and asked that I not say anything. I didn't give a shit. Fire dept. came quickly and he got away with it.

I can't stop thinking about that S4, but those E55's are wicked too. I just went to an hour meeting and didn't even hear what the dude said...I just kept hearing him say "Audi" and "S4"...sigh...my lease isn't up until May of 2016.

B7 is 2004 to 2008

B8 is 2008 to present

B7 is the 4.2L v8. Not a terrible engine but the whole chain thing has people running scared.

B5- 97-02

B6- 03-05

B7- 05-08

B8- 09- current