2016 Camaro reveal

caseyctsv

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hideous inside and out. Camaro SS now weighs what a Mustang GT does, impressive. Ford will answer with a revised 2017 GT making 460hp just because.

The competition is a good thing though, we all stand to benefit from it with better cars.

Don't know what a 2015 ss weighs, non 1le, but the 1le that motor trend tested was only like 80lbs heavier than the loaded mustang. I'm assuming it'll be 100lbs lighter than a comparable gt. Ford left a ton of room for upgraded suspension and tires on the gt pp, as you know. I expect the 17 to have revised power, suspension and maybe better tires on the pp.

Don't know what a 2015 ss weighs, non 1le, but the 1le that motor trend tested was only like 80lbs heavier than the loaded mustang. I'm assuming it'll be 100lbs lighter than a comparable gt. Ford left a ton of room for upgraded suspension and tires on the gt pp, as you know. I expect the 17 to have revised power, suspension and maybe better tires on the pp.

Agreed - it will definitely be lighter than the Mustang. Not as much as it should be but going the right direction.

Hideous inside and out. Camaro SS now weighs what a Mustang GT does, impressive. Ford will answer with a revised 2017 GT making 460hp just because.

The competition is a good thing though, we all stand to benefit from it with better cars.

salty.

GT Manual 3705

GT Automatic 3729

base GT with PP is ~3760-80

Shelby GT350® 3760

Shelby GT350® with tech package 3798

1SS at 3685

Current SS is 3900lbs as mentioned in the article. As I mentioned I expect the same, the 5.0 is already plumbed for direct injection if wanted and it really wouldn't take but some tweaking to up the engine to 460+hp. JLT slapped on one of their intakes and had Lund do a tune and it made 40rwhp more than stock!!

salty.

GT Manual 3705

GT Automatic 3729

base GT with PP is ~3760-80

Shelby GT350® 3760

Shelby GT350® with tech package 3798

1SS at 3685

So 200+lb weight reduction barely gets it under the Mustang, considerably larger engine utilizing Direct injection only has 30more hp, nothing to be salty about in the slightest. I like the 1LE as a package, just can't stand the look of the Camaro inside and out, and it's a GM.

Current SS is 3900lbs as mentioned in the article. As I mentioned I expect the same, the 5.0 is already plumbed for direct injection if wanted and it really wouldn't take but some tweaking to up the engine to 460+hp. JLT slapped on one of their intakes and had Lund do a tune and it made 40rwhp more than stock!!

So 200+lb weight reduction barely gets it under the Mustang, considerably larger engine utilizing Direct injection only has 30more hp, nothing to be salty about in the slightest. I like the 1LE as a package, just can't stand the look of the Camaro inside and out, and it's a GM.

So you think direct injection and the extra cubes are an "unfair advantage"? The Mustang is a DOHC 32 valve - should we put that in here? Or how about we reopen the 03/04 mustang saga about forced induction versus cubes - so stupid. The key will be power under the curve - I would expect the LT4 will have a significant advantage there - at least to start. The 2016 Camaro SS will be faster than the current Mustang - those are the facts. How long it takes Ford to answer? Probably not long which is good for us.

So we are talking about modded vs. stock now? ok.

1LE hasn't been announced yet for the new Camaro. This thread is about the 2016 Camaro and not how you could mod your mustang. We realize you just got yours and of course aren't going to be all into a new car from a different manufacturer.

Either way both of them are the size of a Range Rover.

So you think direct injection and the extra cubes are an "unfair advantage"? The Mustang is a DOHC 32 valve - should we put that in here? Or how about we reopen the 03/04 mustang saga about forced induction versus cubes - so stupid. The key will be power under the curve - I would expect the LT4 will have a significant advantage there - at least to start. The 2016 Camaro SS will be faster than the current Mustang - those are the facts. How long it takes Ford to answer? Probably not long which is good for us.

No unfair advantage at all, and not starting the specific output argument either and I couldn't care less if the Camaro is a touch faster, I don't do that kind of racing anyway. I just don't like GM, and especially that fugly ass car. It will be good for us as Ford usually sells those improved parts individually though they seem hell bent on not making GT350 parts available just yet....

So we are talking about modded vs. stock now? ok.

1LE hasn't been announced yet for the new Camaro. This thread is about the 2016 Camaro and not how you could mod your mustang. We realize you just got yours and of course aren't going to be all into a new car from a different manufacturer.

No not stock vs modded, just pointing out what Ford clearly has left on the table with the 5.0. The 1LE is a special model gleaning parts from a version nearly twice as expensive, and frankly I hope Ford offers a similar package as it's a good setup. The PP is a more basic package for a good $1000 less that's been available from launch. I would't be into a camaro regardless, haven't like them since the last models with the live axle.

Either way both of them are the size of a Range Rover.

Correct, especially coming out of a Fiesta ST which is almost the polar opposite of this car. It still feels heavy to me but therein lies the fun of modding and improving it!!