Housing options

PRD2BDF

As many of you have seen in my other thread, I scored a job.

I am currently living at home with the family to save on costs while I attended graduate school. I am planning on staying a few more months so I can get a substantial amount of money saved up to move out.

I do not know the Columbus area well at all. I wanted to see if anyone had good suggestions of places to look for a rental HOUSE, not a duplex, apartment or anything. An actual house.

I would like for it to be decent and not in a crowded area. I'm used to the country life here in Lancaster. I do not mind commuting. Just want to avoid 33.

Suggestions?

If you are working at the Deaf School just look up around here. We got lucky and found a house to rent in Clintonville. The atmosphere around here is pretty cool. Just get a place as close to work as you can. Makes life nicer. I dont feel "crowded" at all. Quite the contrary. This are feels like a neighborly "Small town USA" feel, unlike ANY suburbia (Canal / Dublin / Westerville /Ect) where you are stuck on the ONE main drag behind everyone going to the Panera, Starbucks, Ect. Downtown you can just zip up High or Indianola, or jump to 71 and you are gone.

Still going to run you at least a G per month for a whole house....but that is pretty typical if it isnt in the hood I guess.

I 2nd being closer to the School for the Deaf if you're renting; get a place in Clintonville or NW Columbus that will make your commute better; will give you a lot more of your day back to do things you want to do, and saves wear-n-tear on your precious Saab. :)

You maybe even could look in German village. I know some areas around there are outrageous but some townhouses aren't bad and it's a quietish area but close to work.

(When I say quiet I mean privacy wise)

We may be able to help you more if you show a budget.

Clintonville seems to be the wrong way if you want to avoid traffic- driving down high street is maddening all the way from Clintonville

Hmm, I would like to keep it under 1250 if possible.

I just want a nice place to come home after work so that's why I'm willing to pay a bit extra for that peaceful feeling that you can get with a house with your own backyard and whatnot.

Edited by PRD2BDF

You're right. I could just stay here a bit longer but I've lived at home long enough plus no internet here sucks. I just want to be on my own without being asked 20 questions every time I leave the house.

There is this "Clintonville for Rent" Facebook group. I am not a member, but it might be a nice resource https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435476746719985/

Our house has seen a few better days (or decades) but it is quiet, we love just hanging on our front porch, and we have a yard and got lucky with a concrete block 2-car garage with opener for 995/mo. Cool younger neighbors all over too. Sure there are ten granola crunching, Prius driving, hippies for every one 'normal' family, but thats no problem.

If you're planning to stay in the area for a while, why rent? 1250/month is more than enough for a mortgage on a good house, even with a minimum down payment. Owning > renting

I disagree. Buying does not always make more sense than renting.

Also this are is huge...Pretty much from Hudson all the way up to Worthington. There are still plenty of parts that could suck depending on traffic, proximity to 71 and what is across the tracks...

Lots of people love to love it and many love to hate it.

North side can be nice too. I lived in a nice apt up in Worthington a while. Downside is traffic. Everyone will be going downtown right along with you in the morning. At least there are multiple choices for your route...71,315,23,33,ect

Well Adam, my mom talked to her cousin who worked and lived in clintonville. She emphasized to stay the hell away. Thoughts?

I live in Upper Arlington, so I'll take my bike to Whole Foods and leave it unlocked on the sidewalk because nobody's going to steal a ratty old bike here. I might lock it up in Clintonville. That's about the only difference I can think of. I can't imagine telling anyone to "stay the hell away."

Drive down High St this week, between Henderson and, say, Dodridge. Pull into some of the side streets to drive past some of the houses. That will tell you everything you need to know.

ETA: Clintonville is Columbus Public Schools, so most people with school-aged kids and money move out at some point. The neighborhood is a good mix of everyone else. Hippies, old people, blue collar, hippies, white collar, college kids, and hippies.

Grandview/Upper Arlington. I'm currently in Clinton TWP paying less than your budget for a small Cape Cod with f/r yards and a 1 car garage. 2br/1ba. Very little/no crime, many places are walkable, you commute against traffic every day, and my neighbors are an equal split of late 20somethings and late 70somethings.

Feel free to PM/text me.

Grandview/Upper Arlington. I'm currently in Clinton TWP paying less than your budget for a small Cape Cod with f/r yards and a 1 car garage. 2br/1ba. Very little/no crime, many places are walkable, you commute against traffic every day, and my neighbors are an equal split of late 20somethings and late 70somethings.

Feel free to PM/text me.

That's exactly what I want!

Drive down High St this week, between Henderson and, say, Dodridge. Pull into some of the side streets to drive past some of the houses. That will tell you everything you need to know.

ETA: Clintonville is Columbus Public Schools, so most people with school-aged kids and money move out at some point. The neighborhood is a good mix of everyone else. Hippies, old people, blue collar, hippies, white collar, college kids, and hippies.

Pretty much this, but I live a few blocks north of Henderson and it's just peachy up here too. I had a negative image of this area compared to what the uppity people consider Clintonville, then the reality of what we wnated to afford set in and we looked in this area. Found a house we fell in love with and we haven't looked back. Great area really. If you don't like super dense housing, you will probably want to stay out of southern Clintiovlile; south of North Boradway, especially between High & Indianola, and west of high south of maybe about Como. Most of east of Indianola isn't too dense. To the OP I would actually highly suggest to look in my area. North of Cooke, East of high. Typically smaller houses so right sized and cost I think for you and very, very close to your work.

UA/Grandview is nice too, just a little bit more of a drive to your work and I don't think you are gaining anything from a neighborhood perspective. There are a lot more apartments/townhomes in those areas, so if you find a house too difficult to find or expensive to find a house, there is probably a benefit from rental density. Houses are typically more expensive there, so I imagine renting a house should generally be more expensive. Having said that, it seems like El Karacho's rental cost is about in line with this area.

Feel free to drop me a line and I can show you around Clintonville if you want.