Insurance on your Guns

jerrodh

If my stuff gets stolen I want to make sure every precaution was in place to deter it from happening. I don't have any sentimental firearms, so I just want my money back to replace it. If I have to make an insurance claim I want my company to see someone did indeed break in and steal them and having a busted open front door and safe help my cause.

This thread is about insurance, not safes.

Agreed^^^

And, agreed on the point of "zero sentiment" on my guns. I sold my first gun to fund my second gun. Who cares. This isn't "insert dramatic honor-based epic saga movie title where tradition of coveting passed-down items is key"... It's 2015, grand pappy's shitty beat up heirloom belongs in trade where you toss in cash to upgrade to something with an RMR carved into the top of it. Who is with me?

I'm kidding, I don't care what kind of guns you have or what you do with them. I just have no familiarity with the sentiment of family guns. Enjoy!

Sadly, you are one of the many who think your $500 stack on safe will "deter" a criminal.

In my area we had a rash of break ins by some meth heads. My buddies house got hit in the middle of the day. The same crowbar they used to open his backdoor was the same one they used to pry the front door of his his $1,800 Liberty safe open. Like I said, do yourself a favor and do some research before just assuming. These guys weren't after just guns, they were after anything that they could make money off of to get high. I watched a video on the tube that showed a guy open up a safe with one single well placed hammer blow to the front door. It triggered the e-loc system in his popular "safe" and opened like he had the code. If I know this info I am sure many criminals do to. You don't think a criminal has the means to carry asawszall? Go ahead and spend some time looking at how fast a one of those opens a safe up. There isn't a $1000 gun safe out there that would take a plasma cutter to get in it. But do what you want, it would be your headache not mine. Or just spend some time educating yourself.

We haven't even began down the bullshit fire rating discussion yet. Sure most guns can be replaced by insurance. I don't give a shot about my AR's or glocks, I care about my first gun that was passed down by my great grandfather. I care about my dad's first shotgun. I care about the guns that can't be replaced with any amount of money. So for me it was no question to spend 6k on a real gun safe. Good luck with your $500 shiny "deterren" cabinet.

Thanks for your opinion. Did your neighbor have a safe and or house alarm? Where did he live?

Indeed, every system can be beaten and has flaws. Do I have a $500 stack on safe? No. Feel free to apply your assumptions elsewhere.

If my stuff gets stolen I want to make sure every precaution was in place to deter it from happening. I don't have any sentimental firearms, so I just want my money back to replace it. If I have to make an insurance claim I want my company to see someone did indeed break in and steal them and having a busted open front door and safe help my cause.

This thread is about insurance, not safes.

You've got the right idea. Do what you can and be able to show what you have done. Good insurance is better than any safe.

I have a few "sentimental" firearms that my dad and uncle had, but nothing that can't be replaced with $300-600.

Jesus dude. Settle down.... I sense... Anger? Why?

Then, answer this question. What makes the 2000 dollar safes easy to break open.. And the 6,000 dollar safes tough?

I'm not angry at all. I really don't care to be honest. I was just trying to shed some light on a subject that is highly misunderstood. I too was in the dark until I saw this happen to a friend. After that about 5 hours of research later my complete outlook had been changed. I now have one friend who had his safe broken into with a crowbar and one who lost all his guns in a fire due to his safe with a 1400 degree 30 min fire rating first got hot, then filled with smoke, only to then get filled with water from fire hoses. All I am asking is that some people to some research. A 5,000 American security safe isn't for everyone. However, there are Many here with $30,000+ collections that won't spend 5k to protect them. I'm also not saying that anyone with a 3 glock collection needs one. I don't know what everyone has but I urge you to do your research and know what your getting and more importantly know what you're not getting so you can decide for yourr what your needs are.