Would you trade? 240sx+cash for Evo8

Zx2guy19

I have an SR swapped 240 that's pretty built- almost all new shit, fully rebuilt engine (proper, not boiracer style), Silvia front end ($1500 value), Kouki rear end, wheels, coils, blah blah blah. I was about to list the car for 7k, the biggest downside being the car is plasti-dipped. It's all white underneath, but it was inconsistent so I plasti'd it to make it at least a consistent shade of white.

That said, I think it's time to get rid of it- it has a million creaks and shit when I drive, it's fun as hell but it sits more than I drive it because it's RWD and I stink after I drive it. My wife hates it too. I found a guy willing to trade for an Evo8, found here: http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5157085334.html

We have "agreed" on my 240sx plus 8k- that is what he owes on the loan. I can pay it cash but I'll do 12 months financing on my credit card because it's 0%, and pay it off by then.

Would you guys do the deal? Best thing- this bitch is AWD if I need to drive it in the snow. HALP. :fuuuu:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id do it. And spend a little on de ricering/fixing the evo and make a clean nice daily out of it that your wife won't hate. That is if the car checks out, no accidents, engine build seems legit, ect. You are trading one mans project for another, better know what you are getting into.

I might, I would want to know who did the build first and Id like to see some reciepts for the mods that were done first. Also I would want to take it to a shop so I could put it in the air and look underneath as well as shake it down to see if anything is loose. EVO 8's seem to be pretty hard to come by though and I like the color so as long as everything checks out I would probably trade.

Great point man. I've put a lot of hard work into the 240 but it's still far from perfect. I have an emotional attachment to it too- my best friend rolled his 240 and almost died, and we took the engine and put it in mine. He isn't happy I'm selling but it's the right thing to do.

what are you driving currently? didn't you get rid of a really nice Audi S4 because it was too much car for a daily?

If you like the car and it checks out, do it. Hot rods are one thing but they get tiresome and your 240 sounds like it is at that point. It can continue to be a money pit or you can have different fun.

I might, I would want to know who did the build first and Id like to see some reciepts for the mods that were done first. Also I would want to take it to a shop so I could put it in the air and look underneath as well as shake it down to see if anything is loose. EVO 8's seem to be pretty hard to come by though and I like the color so as long as everything checks out I would probably trade.

+1

If you're ready to move on to something else, it's worth a look

Still a sr 240 lol

The Evo would not be a daily but a toy,

Exactly lol...I love my 240 but it's an old ass car with a really douchey population of people that own them. Damn skid racers.

Also, this would indeed be my new fun car- I DD a 2015 Fusion.

Green wheels are so JDM :rolleyes:

As long as the Evo isn't a basket case, I'd go for it. Paint the wheels a non ricer color and enjoy

I'm talking to him now about the work that's been done, accidents, etc. The green wheels wouldn't even make it out of HIS driveway, I'd paint those fuckers on the spot. M4d tyte.

I had an Evo 8, it creaked and rattled like a pro. Other than that, if you're ready to move on I'd say go for it.

Good to know- I don't know a TON about them so definitely looking for input.

So by my calculations, you're paying full asking price for an old evo?

As turbo said, that's assuming I'd get full 7k for my car. Realistically, I'd get 5800-6300. I'm also going to try to see if I can give him 7k :)

Have you checked the insurance premium for an 8?

I have not...I pay like $900 a month for all my damn insurances anyway so an increase won't be noticed too much. That may sound dumb but if it goes from $40 a month from the 240 to $100 a month with the Evo, I won't die.

In most peoples cases a evo was more expensive to insure then a vette is. Lol. Ide get a quick quote cause ive had people with outrageous costs to insure them.

Btw thing looks janky. Ide trade it to get out from your car. Then sell evo, and get something better. IMO.

SO in short, go for it.

First I would look at who built the motor. The 2.3 is on it's second go around. What happend the first time in less than 20k? Do a compression test, leak down, all that jazz. Stock Trans? Has the Transfer Case been gone through? Moot point, who did the tune? Is the ECU locked? If it is, will the tuner want an arm and a leg if you decide to make changes, and have someone else do it? Did he do the work, or a "buddy". Is the wiring haggard from repeated disassemblies, or neat and tidy?

Not that I've been burned on a few Mitsu's, but these are the immediate things.

The guy said he built the motor and that he is a mechanic for a living. I asked him for receipts and he said he recently moved so he'll have to find them, but I told him I want them before we do anything. He said he has multiple pics of the work that he'll send me tonight.

I'd keep the 240. Regardless of the scenesters that also drive it it's a cool old car and is becoming increasingly more rare for clean examples.

Douchevos are a dime a dozen. Fun cars but...

Last random thought: I don't like to buy cars that have a history of being blown up while sporting green wheels.