Otis Nice

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking great. Can't wait to see it in one piece

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

We're getting there. Slowly but surely. Time has freed up for dad recently so he's been doing all the tedious little things. I haven't posted a bunch of pics because it's been a lot of wiring, gauges, pedals, etc.

I love that the truck is looking new but the implements and fixtures are still the originals. The gauges did get LED's but this truck is still going to be largely all original. We recently found out that front discs are available for the 3/4 tons so we're debating putting the orig front end back in (as of now it's got the 1/2 ton front end off my '49 chassis) and also found out we can replace the parts of the orig rear end (stock gears wouldn't allow for a top speed but of about 50-55) so now we're thinking about putting those back in to keep it even closer to 100% all original.

What has really impressed me is that even though dad went to school and was for the longest time a mechanic he has taught himself/learned from others how to weld, do body work, and paint. He's done 95% of this on his own or with just myself, my brother, my uncle, or a friend around to lend a hand but he's used his knowledge and learned new skills. When it's done this truck will truly be built by him and already have the pedigree it does.

Goal is be Pumpkin Run in the fall (if coronAIDS goes away by then).

I definitely would re-gear it just so it can be driven faster if you and your dad wanted to take a road trip

We did swap out the rear end. Use to top out at about 50-55 originally. Now we should see at least 70 with no problems.

Passenger side it all buttoned up. For those that may not know the battery box is under the passenger side floorboard.

93236393-2975062012577480-8741613432232476672-n.jpg

The original seat frame is back in.

93863571-682873579140577-5872125612608454656-n.jpg

Couple steps closer. Baby steps, Bob.

EDIT: Surprised nobody has noticed (or at least mentioned) the fuel tank.

Thanks, Chris.

Nice. Is that massive grill a single piece or is each bar separate?

One piece. You can get them in different configurations but dad found this one as one part. Just a PITA to get on he said. He installed this with the help of mom and Kev while I was out of town for work last week.